Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Uigeadail Vs. HP18

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Uigeadail Vs. HP18

Postby eyalsurkin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:35 am

I've got a friend visiting from Scotland, and he can only bring ONE bottle with him... so i have to make a tough choice :)

I've enjoy both the HP12, and the Ardbeg 10Yr very much. In the Ardbeg's case - i've enjoyed it so much, it left me somewhat less curious to find out how the Oogie is.

The Ardbeg 10Yr is, in my humble opinion, quite superb. It left me wanting more of it, whereas the HP left me wanting to "take it to the next level".

What do you guys think?

My cabinet contains:
Lagavulin 16
HP 12
Ardbeg 10
Aberlour A'bunadh (Batch 25)
Talisker 10
Laphroaig CS
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
eyalsurkin

Re: Uigeadail Vs. HP18

Postby AdamMY » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:57 am

Take what I am saying with a grain of salt, I have tried two Ardbeg the Oogie and Airigh Nam Beist, and only one Highland park, (Highland Park 12). Both of the Ardbegs have been stellar, and the HP 12 while good, leaves me doubting their 18 year old could really be that much better. While I may be wrong, my gut feeling would be to go with the Ardbeg.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:49 am

Talisker 18
dramtastic

Postby Leorin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:43 pm

HP 18 and Ardbeg Ugi are both very good whiskies in my opinion, but they are very different in character so it really depends which way you want to go.
The HP tastes mature and offers a perfect ballance between fruity dark sherry notes, heather-honey and a rather light (in comparison to the Ardbeg) earthy-peaty component. It is rather compex stuff.
The Ardbeg tastes more youthful, offers more power (oomph) and is quite peaty and smokey. I find aromas like barbecuesauce, smoked eel and espresso. It is well ballanced as well. Even though it's said to have some sherried Ardbeg in the vatting I cannot taste much of that in recent batches.
Leorin
Bronze Member

Postby eyalsurkin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:44 am

dramtastic wrote:Talisker 18

That's actually my third option (along with the 57 North)
eyalsurkin

Postby dramtastic » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:44 am

it's always a matter of taste. I'm just one of those people who think the first 2 choices are way overated. The Tali 18 is also highly rated and deserves to be.
dramtastic

Postby Ganga » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:13 pm

I'm with dramtastic. Talisker 18. It is sublime.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Knolly » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:53 am

We drank both Talisker 18 and Oogie tonight (among a dozen other whiskies!), and both are excellent. I'm not the hugest HP fan, so of your original two choices, i would take the Oogie hands down. But Talisker 18 is absolutely awesome and might just be the best "generally available" whisky on the market. So, go for the Oogie or the Talisker 18 - or just be a man and get both :)
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby eyalsurkin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:16 pm

@Knolly - I wish i could... my friend is coming alone, so not enough luggage space :(

I'd like to thank you all for sharing your thoughts, which led me to one decision: NOT to get the HP18, at least not for the time being...

I've enjoyed the Ardbeg 10yo for the past few days now, and i find it to be absolutely astonishing. I can't wait to find out what the Oogie has to offer... tasting reviews online suggest the two are surprisingly different, which intrigues me even more...
:smoke:
eyalsurkin

Postby bcrossan » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:49 pm

eyalsurkin wrote:@Knolly - I wish i could... my friend is coming alone, so not enough luggage space :(

I'd like to thank you all for sharing your thoughts, which led me to one decision: NOT to get the HP18, at least not for the time being...

I've enjoyed the Ardbeg 10yo for the past few days now, and i find it to be absolutely astonishing. I can't wait to find out what the Oogie has to offer... tasting reviews online suggest the two are surprisingly different, which intrigues me even more...
:smoke:

HP18 is a fantastic dram IMO, as is Ardbeg Uigedail
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:33 pm

I'm a fan of both the Highland Park 18 Year Old (almost perfectly proportioned) and the Ardbeg Uigeadail (intense, layered and alluring). But when it comes to a viable alternative...
dramtastic wrote:Talisker 18

Such a sense of balance and complexity for the unique whisky of Skye!
One of my personal favourites. :thumbsup:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby danthepoetman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:22 pm

Raw and rich whisky flavour of the Cask against the maturity of a classic.
Guess this comes as a very late advice on my part. I'll just answer the question for fun's sake.
I love the HP18! It's malt, honey and smoke well aged and in such harmony the whole mouth signs. For some reason, I imagine this one as representing somewhat of an archetype of Scotland whisky. I don't know why.
I personally would always tend to rather go with a Cask Strength over a reduced whisky, but in this case, it's more difficult. All in all I think the Uigeadail's combined complexity and pungency would get my vote. Wouldn't be the same for HP21 or 25...
:D
danthepoetman

Postby 1Malt » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:38 pm

I tried my first Uigeadail this week. Have never had HP18, but have had plenty of HP12 and if these were beers instead of malts, the Oogie would be like New Glarus Spotted Cow (from Wisconsin) and the HP12 would be like Coors Light :P

Only two bottles of anything by Ardbeg (2 Oogies) have ever showed up in the local stores here in the past 3 years that I've been looking, I bought one on Tuesday, and if the 2nd one is still on the shelf this evening, I'm snatching it up as well, to stash away for a special occasion.
1Malt

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder