Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

OB vs IB

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Do you prefer Distillery Bottlings, or Independent Bottlings?

Distillery
60%
Independent
40%

Total votes : 10

OB vs IB

Postby AdamMY » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:34 am

So a question that I have been wondering about lately. While many of us drink Distillery bottlings, and vastly enjoy them, it seems that when we reach for something exceptional it almost always is an Independent Bottle. So which do you prefer? Also please respond with why?
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: OB vs IB

Postby dramtastic » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:13 am

Well 99.9% of my purchases are Japanese so OB's. Probably more relevent to me is that I buy a lot of single cask bottlings.
dramtastic

Postby AdamMY » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:24 am

I do like OB's in the sense that they can often be far more consistent in what they offer, and I am under the assumption that they are designed to show the "profile" of that given distillery more so than other bottles.

But I had to vote IB, as due in part to other members on the forum, the couple of IBs I have had have been absolutely phenomenal. Not to mention with Independent bottles you often get a chance to try distilleries that usually do not produce distillery bottles.
AdamMY

Postby corbuso » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:57 am

I buy what I like, being OB or IB
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:56 am

Neither....both. :D I've had my share of disappointments from both as well as experiencing some truly phenomenal bottlings from each. IBs will give you a chance to better explore the distillery beyond what the distillery typically offers. Single casks offer truly unique opportunities to explore how even each cask can produce a something different from the norm.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby MacDeffe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:53 am

It depends about what the distillery releases as well

Some distilleries you can't get or their releases is fairly limited, anything interesting OB is usually very experience

Some distilleries like Amrut and Bladnoch have a serious affordable line of OB while others, like Highland Park just put out waterred down whisky or overpackaged expensive whiskies

Steffen
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder