Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Best economoy blend?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which economy sweet blend?

Famous Grouse
33%
Chivas Regal 12
33%
Cutty Sark
22%
Grant's Family Reserve
11%
Dewars White
No votes

Total votes : 9

Best economoy blend?

Postby sddrammer » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:13 am

I'm looking for a cheap blended scotch to be drank neat, I'm thinking something sweet. My favorites I keep stocked are Laphroaig 10, Highland park 12 and johnnie walker black. I love the smoke but am looking to add a cheaper sweeter whisky into the rotation as well. I like glenfiddich and glenlivet 12s, but i'm looking for something cheaper. I'm looking for the least grainy, most sweet and floral of these listed, what fits the bill?
sddrammer

Re: Best economoy blend?

Postby Wee Robbie » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:43 pm

I would have put Teachers Highland Cream on the list. Cheap but my go to daily blend. Try it sometime. For the price you won't have lost anything.
Wee Robbie
Wee Robbie

Postby bredman » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:49 pm

I can't really comment on the five listed. Peat lovers may want to try Black Bottle, and the latest Tweeddale Blend (Batch 3) looks very tempting, on paper it looks top notch. Usually i would just go for BNJ.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby sddrammer » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:27 pm

I'm interested in Teachers but can't find it near me in San Diego. Also, I'm looking fora non-peated fora change up, as all of my other favorites are smoky.
sddrammer

Postby danielrose81 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:39 pm

I have two very good blends in my stock at the moment - my favourite is the BNJ or "Baile Nicol Jarvie" which has one of the highest malt contents of any blended whisky and contains only "first class" ranked malts in the blend. A bargain at approx. £20 although hard to find in supermarkets etc.

Also I've been introduced to "Monkey Shoulder"which is a little more expensive - more likely to be nearer the £30 mark. It consists of a blend of 3 single malts and is very smooth with hints of spice and citrus with a lingering vanilla sweetness. Named after a shoulder strain commonly experienced by the malt-men of old whilst shovelling malted barley by hand.

Good luck with your search.
danielrose81

Postby Wes B. » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:53 am

Smoky Economy Blend: Black Bottle

Sweet Economy Blend: Monkey Shoulder
Wes B.

Postby mkenneth » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:48 pm

considering your single malt preferences, I'd recommend Islay Mist.
mkenneth

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder