Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Vatted or blended

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Should the industry change the classification from "Vatted " Malts to "blended" Malts?

Yes
8%
No
76%
Couldn't care less?
16%

Total votes : 25

Vatted or blended

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 31, 2005 7:42 pm

I always favour advancement and change for the better but if it ain't broke...........!!
It seems to me that unnecessary resource is being directed to an area that need not be tinkered with.
Malt drinkers are invariably seasoned folk who have developed their palate and have a genuine interest in the product. They appreciate blends and vatted malts in their own right and recognise the subtle differences.
New drinkers will usually go for recognised brands and few really distinguish between a blend or single malt until their palate develops.
Do they really need to know that a malt is a blended malt as opposed to a vatted malt? I suggest that this only leads to confuse.
Deactivated Member

Postby bond » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:51 am

I see no reason to deprive people of the information that the "blend" they are drinking contains grain whiskies too.

The current classification works fine.. in fact a bit too fine as our friends in Cardhu would testify
bond
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:42 pm

I have already ranted elsewhere on these pages about how stupid I believe the proposed changes are, but I'm heartened to see here that (at present) about 80% of participants are also against the changes.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ed » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:21 pm

Hello All,
I am not going to vote and here is why. There is no fourth category that really clarifies things. The old system was clear to those who had taken the time to suss it out. The old system was not clear on the face of it if you hadn't been told what the terms meant. For a long time I thought that single malt meant that only one malt had been used in the brewing process, not that only the malt whisky from a single distillery had gone into the final product. The new system is not clearer. It is confusing to those that understood the old system without being more easily understandable to the novice. If they were going to change the accepted vocabulary they should not have borrowed from the old.

Anyone who has seen the sheet that came with the Spring 2005 George T Stagg Straight Kentucky Bourbon knows what aficionados want in a label. An enormous amount of information is included. Recipe, (no % though) cooking temp/ fermentation. Distillation and aging/ proof off still/ type of barrel. barrel maker/ entry proof/ barrel size/ warehouse/ angel share % age.

If this post isn't as clear as I would like it to be it is because I have been out at the bar and, well, you know.
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder