Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Are reponding to these polls a valuable use of my time?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Are responding to these polls a valuable use of my time?

Yes - I love to share my opinion, and read those from others
85%
No - I'd rather just drink whisky
15%

Total votes : 20

Are reponding to these polls a valuable use of my time?

Postby Frodo » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:40 am

What are the benefits of responding to these polls?
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby lambda » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:22 pm

I'm putting my money on "yes" :lol:
lambda
Bronze Member

Postby bernstein » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:14 pm

"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture."
Steve Martin :D

So keep on dramming, - and posting - and polling!!!
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:44 am

It's always interesting to read what other people think about assorted issues.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:57 am

If the answer is "No - I'd rather just drink whisky", then you shouldn't be on these forum pages to begin with. The whole purpose is to discuss whisky, whether it be by questions and answers, polls, or just general chit-chat. Until it's possible to have a dram delivered through your modem such that we can all drink and compare the same dram, I suggest that polls and other discursive topics on these pages are a tremendous way to discuss our interest & curiosity in the subject matter!

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:54 am

bernstein wrote:"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture."
Steve Martin :D

So keep on dramming, - and posting - and polling!!!

Apparently attribution of this quotation is in doubt, although Martin is a likely suspect. See http://home.pacifier.com/~ascott/they/tamildaa.htm

And what's wrong with dancing about architecture, anyway?

I have to admit that I almost never vote in polls like this, because the answer I want to give is never there. I have no problem at all with anyone here posting a poll, although generally, if I want to know what y'all think, I just ask and let you answer in your own words. But polling here is harmless enough. I just don't like it when someone uses polls like these in the wider world to try to prove something. Most polls only prove that you can get a majority of people to agree with you about anything, if you ask the right question and control the possible answers.

But I am wandering perilously close to the field of politics, a subject I consider to be taboo here. Probably the only one!
Deactivated Member

Postby bernstein » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:26 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Apparently attribution of this quotation is in doubt, although Martin is a likely suspect. See http://home.pacifier.com/~ascott/they/tamildaa.htm

And what's wrong with dancing about architecture, anyway?

Nothing, really - there is even a rich and impressing expressionist tradition in dance and architecture. So forget the silly quote, whoever said it in the first place. Interesting site, by the way...
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby JimHall » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:17 pm

The Polls are great if you don't have a lot of time to spend........ like me just now at work :lol:
JimHall
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:25 pm

Polls are also good because they ensure you get accurate and meaningful replies or answers within the set parameters you're looking for.

The alternative can sometimes be a little frustrating: You ask, "Which do you think is the best Laphroaig?" and the first reply is along the lines of, "I don't like Laphroaig at all, but I'm very fond of Ardbeg" and before you know it the thread is talking about the different expressions of Ardbeg rather than addressing the original question.

Polls ensure that the author can keep the answers under control.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:42 am

I am very tempted to delete this post as it isn't really anything to do with whisky, and I would like to keep the Polls forum clean...

Shall we have Poll to see if this poll should be deleted :lol:
Matt2

Postby bernstein » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:59 am

Matt wrote:I am very tempted to delete this post as it isn't really anything to do with whisky, and I would like to keep the Polls forum clean...

Uh-oh, first bond, now Matt - hard times are coming up...
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:14 pm

Matt:

1) I think this question is a waste of time.

2) I have nothing at all against wasting time.

3) I respect the right of others to make their own judgments on whether to waste their time or not, or whether any particular topic is worth responding to. This poll is a bit silly, but I would hope we could survive a bit of silliness here without censoring it. (I really, really hope this, 'cause otherwise I'm in big trouble.) I think there's nothing to be afraid of--this topic will die a natural death and slide down the board soon enough.
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:52 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote: if I want to know what y'all think, I just ask and let you answer in your own words.

Ummmm...not to get off topic, but when did "y'all" become part of the Massachusetts dialect? Last time I checked...Massachusetts was on the wrong side of the War of Northern Aggression (known to the rest of the world as the Civil War). ;)

Mark
Last edited by MGillespie on Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:59 pm

All forums are of interest and a great way to share views, whether to be agreed with or countered.
They're also great for learning from others. Count me in. I like 'em!
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:06 pm

And that doesn't sound like a Joisey boy.... In the olden days, thou/thee was second person singular, and you/you plural. As in French, one would use the plural form when speaking to a superior or to be polite. Apparently, an epidemic of politeness (genuine or feigned) caused thou/thee to disappear from the language. There is thus no linguistic distinction between singular and plural in the second person. Southerners use y'all as the second person plural pronoun, and I find it is useful at times. (Atlantic Canadians use youse or yez, which works as well.)

And now you are wondering how it is that a guy who makes so many silly jokes can take your lighthearted comment far too seriously....
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:10 pm

I'm not a Jersey boy...I was dragged here kicking and screaming...and it looks like I woke up Mr. Picky again! ;)

Around here, you have to be at least fourth-generation Jersey Italian to be able to say "youse" and get away with it...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:37 am

I say that a little slip here and there is alright in such an informal setting, afterall there are far worse examples of abuse afoot.
Other more offensive forms are rife on the west coast USA where Ebonics is acceptable, whatever pattois comes out of East LA and then there's "valley-speak". Some of this crud is actually coloquialized and slips unnoticed into our daily vocabulary. Like oooh gross me out or what?
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder