Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Forum user feedback

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

How do you feel about the recent shifts in the styles of user postings, discussion points, & general forum usage?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:43 am

I'm glad it has happened.
20%
I'm not too fussed.
40%
I preferred "the good old days".
40%

Total votes : 20

Postby kallaskander » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:42 am

Hi there,

well posted, Mr T. A friend of mine used to say "Better lose a friend then leave out a joke." In this spirit and when you are serious I enjoy your posts tremendously. This forum would not be the same without your contributions. So why would you want to spoil the fun? I think it is wonderful the way it is, why spoiling it by making it more serious?

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:26 am

I don’t think anyone is advocating “serious-only” posts. These pages have always had a light-hearted, good humoured tone, and no one is asserting that this should be done away with. Good humour, gags, and niggles were here long before Mr T arrived. :)

What I am suggesting though is that we try and avoid introducing stupid, inane and silly diversions to nearly every thread that comes up.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:03 am

I think it is wonderful the way it is, why spoiling it by making it more serious?

That's a very subjective statement, Kallaskander.

You say "wonderful the way it is", but until recently, this is not the way it was. Some would argue that what was once good has since been spoilt, not the other way around, as you fear.

But forgive me.....this thread is fast becoming divisive, and that was never my intention. I merely wanted to find out if I was the only one that was troubled by the recent developments. As it turns out, it seems I'm not alone.

Let us not get bogged down and narky with this issue, but simply respect how people would prefer to see the forums used.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:12 am

Hmm, I have never been as active as other members on this forum, although I DO visit it every day, and add my comments here and there occasionally. So I hope the next bit of input gets to be seen for what it is worth, I'm not trying to stir anything up or so.

I do have to agree with some sentiments in this thread however. I personally find it disturbing when I get notification of new posts in threads I either subscribed too, or posted in myself, and then to find them merely being a joke, not adding to the discussion.

It is even more disturbing to find another email an hour or so later, and then finding out the same has happened again. Not uncommon it happens even more on the same thread.

It happened quite a few times I have unsubbed myself from such threads, and thus removing the ability for me to follow any possible worthwhile posts, or adding any input myself again on such posts.

A joke here and there is OK, and was always part of this forum (as it probably is on any forum), but a forum like this one is simply not a place for chit-chat. There are other ways of communication on the Internet for that that are more suited for such chat (but I already went over that =)).

One solution would indeed be a 'general chat' section on the forum. That would get my vote =)
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:39 am

I think most members contributing to this thread have good and valid points. It's understandable that those whom have been a part of this forum since the "good old days" think it's a pitty it's changed lately. However, the forum isn't the good old days and it never will be. It's the very nature - or should I say culture of such a forum to be dynamic and in constant change and flux. People come and go for various reasons and people have left lately - according to some because the forums have changed into a too lighthearted tone. I can only speak for myself of course when I say I wouldn't mind it stayed the way it is. This is so for many reasons but first and foremost because when I do something I usually try to do with a humorous touch. I do it at home, in my daily work and in my social life. This doesn't imply that others and I should be ignorant to other users - rather that the respect and civility goes two ways! We should consider us lucky to have the usual contributions by the likes of Mr T & Co, but we should not forget that the prime function of this forum is about whisky first and last.

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:55 am

I usually find that the drinking of whisky, or rather the drinking of too much whisky, leads to conversations full of twaddle and nonsense. So why should this Forum be any different?

Life's too short to be too serious.

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:16 pm

according to some because the forums have changed into a too lighthearted tone

Aaaaagghhhhh......please folks, let's not confuse the issue. Once again, I say: No one is seemingly advocating that this site lose its sense of humour. It always was lighthearted, and hopefully always will be. The issue here is context, validity and relevance to the topics at hand.

May I also echo Jeroen's point above: Many is the time I've received an email advising me that a thread I've subscribed to has had been added to - only to be dismayed when I log on and find out someone has only posted something irrelevant or merely left a smiley face behind. This isn't why some of us invest our time here.

Cheers,
Admiral

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:48 pm

Admiral wrote:
according to some because the forums have changed into a too lighthearted tone

Aaaaagghhhhh......please folks, let's not confuse the issue. Once again, I say: No one is seemingly advocating that this site lose its sense of humour. It always was lighthearted, and hopefully always will be. The issue here is context, validity and relevance to the topics at hand.

Cheers,
Admiral

Cheers,
Admiral

I'm not confusing anything Admiral and it's sort of funny to see that all of a sudden the agenda have been changed somewhat through the life of this thread! We've been talking about a number of things and among those we've talked about; hijacking threads, off topic posting, backstabbing a former (or present) rabid member with a serious paranoia, jokes and gags etc. We've also discussed some members opinion about this forum's change of tone as in not serious enough. Forgive me for mentioning this again but I have a feeling that the issue of humour, jokes and gags was an issue for some - if not you!
Bond wanted the forum to become more serious and the talk to be more whiskylike and several others complained about this forum becoming something that put the old knowledgeable members off to the point where they didn't even bother to post here anymore. Now, when someone says things like that I feel a little guilty - rightfully so or not, but especially so when some obviously want this forum to be very businesslike instead of a social meeting place - or chit chatting if you will. So, eventually this isn't only about "context, validity and relevance to the topics at hand" in the widest sense, but rather about this forum turning into a lexicosocial place to write questions and answers instead of being a virtual bar where whisky is the dominating theme.
I'm sorry if I'm wrong or being paranoid myself, but this is actually how I feel!
I'm not going to contribute further to this post, but will instead take care not to hijack a topic in the future!

Skål!
Christian
Last edited by Mr Fjeld on Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:55 pm

As I see things are being put into extremes, and this thread is unfortunally looking like it is heading towards a flame, I'll unsubscribe myself from this thread now.

My sentiments stay the same however.
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:33 pm

I think everybody has had a chance to express their opinion, which is good since there have been some excellent points made on both sides.

However it's becoming a bit serious and let's not forget that we're all friends.

I'm going back to the forum to talk about whisky, see you all there.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:18 pm

Well, I must say that I really don't understand this business of subscribing to threads; I have no trouble keeping up with what's going on merely by logging on when I have the time and having a poke around. I would regard such reminders as an annoyance more than anything (although I'm very happy to be notified when I have a pm come in). To each his own, I guess...but it strikes me as being a bit like leaving the front door open and then complaining about mozzies in the house. (Them's skeeters to you bourbon drinkers.)

Admiral, I gather that you have been a bit surprised by the reaction this issue his fostered. I think the whole thing has become blown way out of proportion. You said: "What I am suggesting though is that we try and avoid introducing stupid, inane and silly diversions to nearly every thread that comes up." I think that's perfectly reasonable. It's a simple matter of respect for our fellow posters and their intent. This matter seems to have folks a little nervous right now; I don't think it was your intent to give us all a boot in the tuchus, but you have effectively done so, and perhaps some of us needed it. I have no doubt that we will shortly relax and get back to normal. A bit of a stock market correction, if you will.

Mark raised the idea of adding a section to be called "Whisky Life" as an outlet for some of the more peripheral expression that comes up, and I think that's a fine idea. (I suggested a title of "Blether"; "Water of Life" might be appropriate.) Anecdotes, jokes, general yak, and a whole host of things about how whisky fits in our lives would fit here and take a lot of pressure off the more straightforward whisky discussion. If it lapsed into utter irrelevance occasionally, who would care? As it stands, there doesn't seem to be an appropriate outlet for this kind of conversation, and I think that tends to shut some people out who might otherwise dip their toes into the forum. Matt, are you out there? What about it?
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:51 am

Lawrence wrote:Aidan, sorry for missing the fact that it was you who brought up Rockall....it's a great site, thank you.

And just so you all know, even the Malt Maniacs joke around, not all the talk is whisky all the time.

Not at all - I was only joking. I dont' think anyone reads my posts, as I suggested a seperate topic category for chat too :?
Aidan

Postby bernstein » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:27 pm

The day this thread started was my first day of vacation in subtropic climate (no internet, no cell-phone, a warm breeze from the Atlantic and lots of colourful flowers – close to paradise, so to speak). So returning last night I was quite curious to read what was going on last week.
As I’m one of the new forum-users, I was (and still am from time to time) indeed unsure, how to “behave” in a place like this. Some of my posts may be claimed as ‘miscreants’ as well. I know that and I just hope, you’ll pardon me if I’ve overdone it.
I like the overall tone of this forum a lot (as you may well know by now it’s quite hard for a German to have a grip on irony…), the atmosphere of a ‘virtual bar’, the expert knowledge of a lot of the current users, the internationality and the sense of collegial friendship and mutual esteem. It should stay that way. If there is something coming up, that irritates, it’s always good to speak up an talk about it, at least that’s better than just – annoyed or frustrated - staying away.
I’m quite happy and thankful this thread turned up. It helps (me as well) to keep on track - and our general topic here is and hopefully will be in future: whisky, water of life. That’s it from me. Let’s get back to it.
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:37 pm

Sounds great, Bernie...welcome back!
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:24 am

Aidan wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Aidan, sorry for missing the fact that it was you who brought up Rockall....it's a great site, thank you.

And just so you all know, even the Malt Maniacs joke around, not all the talk is whisky all the time.

Not at all - I was only joking. I dont' think anyone reads my posts, as I suggested a seperate topic category for chat too :?

Well, it's just that you're Irish, Aidan--those of us who are of Scots descent feel genetically compelled to take credit for anything good you come up with!
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:41 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Aidan wrote:

Well, it's just that you're Irish, Aidan--those of us who are of Scots descent feel genetically compelled to take credit for anything good you come up with!

Tattie - we'll let you take credit for kilts and bagpipes...
Aidan

Postby Matt2 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:56 am

Hi everyone,

I don't think opening another forum will stop people going off topic. Most of the topics here start out in the correct forum, but sometimes go off-topic as people expand the conversation.

I think forum members need to control this one amongst yourselves.

1. Don't change the topic of someone elses post. Keep replies relevant to the original topic title.

2. If you want to expand the conversation into another topic then start a new topic and provide a link from the original.

3. If someone posts off-topic then let them know with a polite posting. If they continue then PM me and I will remove the offending posts.

4. The starter of a topic will be considered the owner, and the owner can request for any reply to be edited or removed (within reason).

5. If you want your post to remain on-topic then make it clear in the posting, maybe start with a first line of "Please keep replies on-topic"

If we can agree on some sort of policy I will ensure all members are notified and make it clear to new members.

Do you think that will help?
Matt2

Postby Tom » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:20 pm

Most deffinatly.
Thank you Matt.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:12 pm

It's worth a try! Thanks, Matt...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:36 pm

Thanks for your reply, Matt. You are probably right that another forum heading will not stop topic creep, but I still think it would be useful in itself. We see a lot of topics starting out "I didn't know where to post this..." and a lot of postings fall into "Tastings" or "Q&A" that don't have anything to do with tastings and aren't actual questions. ("Is the Speaker aware...?") If we had another bin to put those things in, those two particular forums would start out more focused; readers would be better assured that when they click on "Tastings", they're going to read about tastings.

In the pages of Whisky Magazine, we get product reviews, distillery visits, and industry news and interviews. We also get anecdotes, personal experiences, travel tidbits, reviews of books that happen to have whisky in them, and occasionally even simple bits of blether. Surely there is space for some of these latter in the forums. Call it Whisky Life or Whisky Experience or simply Blether, but in any case, please consider giving it a space of its own.

Thanks for your attention.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:31 pm

Good points Matt, I especially like the point you make about forums users sorting things out among themselves with your back up if needed. I think forums users should keep in mind that some topics have a very short shelf life and there is only so much that can be said about the subject, I think this lends itself to topic creep.

And Matt thanks for lobbying on the forums users behalf to have a selection of comments published again in WM.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby MGillespie » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:49 pm

That was also a good idea...but do each of those guys get the 25 YO BBR Scotch that was given to the letter writer of the month? ;)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:19 am

Ok, there is a new forum called Whisky Chat for all the posts that don't really fit elsewhere - whos going to be first ?

I will also email all members with a statement about keeping posts on-topic and a general AUP (acceptable use policy) for each forum.

:D
Matt2

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder