Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Podcasts

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Would you listen to a whisky podcast?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:03 pm

Yes
31%
No
15%
What's a podcast?
54%

Total votes : 13

Whisky Podcasts

Postby MGillespie » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:03 pm

I've been thinking about using my background in radio and my love for Scotch to start producing a regular whisky-related podcast. I'm thinking of industry headlines, upcoming events, and interviews with distillers and writers.

Is this something you'd consider listening to if it were available on the Internet? Currently, the iTunes podcast list has several wine-related podcasts available, but nothing whisky-related.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:07 pm

What's a podcast?
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:13 pm

Thanks for asking, Bernie! ;)

Basically, a "podcast" is an Internet equivalent of a radio show. They can be as short as a couple of minutes or as long as an hour. If you have the right software (Apple's iTunes makes it almost automatic), your computer will automatically check for a new episode and download it as an MP3 file. You can then listen to it on your computer or transfer it to an iPod or similar digital music player.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:20 pm

Good idea - haven't had the chance to check it out in practice as I encountered a few problems when trying to download and install the lates version of iTunes. It seems it won't work at all at my 'puter :?
So my vote for MGillespie as el presidente DJ is guaranteed!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:25 pm

Thanks for answering, Mark! :wink:

I'll subscribe.

And - I'll vote for Mark as El Presidente as well - ey, wait a moment, usually El Presidentes do have more choices to come to power than ordinary voting by ordinary people...
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:37 pm

bernstein wrote:Thanks for answering, Mark! :wink:

I'll subscribe.

And - I'll vote for Mark as El Presidente as well - ey, wait a moment, usually El Presidentes do have more choices to come to power than ordinary voting by ordinary people...

I know...but I don't have a brother to rig the election for me...
(oops, did I say that out loud? :oops: )

I don't want to be El Presidente, but thanks for your votes of confidence...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:50 pm

Technology is moving way too fast for me--I still have a basement full of LP's and a wall full of CD's, and am only vaguely aware of the capabilities of iPods. None of which has anything to do with podcasts, except that I am saddled with the ancient 20th century technology of dial-up, and furthermore find plenty of ways to occupy my mind using the ancient medium of printed word (even if it is transmitted to my monitor). I wish you best of luck on this, but have no doubt that, by the time I latch onto it, it will be three or four generations out of date.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:51 am

Podcasts are for those in school, some of us oldsters that are a step or two behind the madening crowds and thats quite alright.
When i clip my blueberry, cellphone and ipod to my belt at the same time, one wrong move and i start to lose my pants. :wink:
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:10 am

With all those electronic gizmos emitting radiation around your groin, your pants might not be the only thing you lose!! :D

I'd be interested in tuning in to the occasional podcast, assuming that the contents were relevant and interesting.

(An interview with a distillery manager or brand marketing manager, for example, would be a great thing to tune in for)

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:35 am

Admiral wrote:(An interview with a distillery manager or brand marketing manager, for example, would be a great thing to tune in for)

Cheers,
Admiral

That is indeed a good idea!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby MGillespie » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:55 pm

Lord_Pfaffin wrote:When i clip my blueberry, cellphone and ipod to my belt at the same time, one wrong move and i start to lose my pants. :wink:

I know that feeling all too well...
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:01 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:
Admiral wrote:(An interview with a distillery manager or brand marketing manager, for example, would be a great thing to tune in for)

Cheers,
Admiral

That is indeed a good idea!

Skål!
Christian

That's exactly what I had in mind...along with an occasional rundown of upcoming events, news on new releases...stuff like that...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:54 pm

deleted

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby rthomson » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:34 am

Recently, my computer at work was having some problems on the network. The IT guy was at another site and sent an email stating that I should log on to my "IM" at such and such a time and he could fix the problem from off-site. I've heard of IM but I had no idea how to log on or even set it up on my computer. So, to sum up, podcast? It's probably a good idea but I'm simply not that computer savvy.

(I'm much too far behind the times but I'll drown my sorrows with a couple of drams)

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby MGillespie » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:41 pm

Thanks, gang...these are exactly the kind of comments I'm looking for. I have a feeling that most of the potential audience doesn't match up with the demographic that's likely to use podcasts right now...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:37 pm

Let me put it this way, Mark. Because I know you from here, I'd probably check it out. (I could always download it when I go to bed.) But otherwise, podcasting isn't something I'd be likely to get into. I hardly ever even listen to the radio as it is--just in the car, and then either the Red Sox game or NPR. I suppose if I had an iPod and made the car iPod-friendly, that's where I'd be likely to listen. But I'm definitely behind the curve--I don't even use my CD burner much.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:55 pm

I don't know if it's Mr Picky or Mr Tattieheid - but one of you fits the vodka drinking smart set's impression that we the single malt drinkers are old people lacking Mp3 players, cell phones, and colour TV. Instead we listen to vinyl, we like jazz and classic music and when we're not doing the above we probably wear tweed and use our spare time to perfect our fly-fishing skills or use the Purdey or Holland & Holland to reduce the wildlife on our estates.
I don't even have a cell phone - but I do have an Ipod, although it seems I'm not able to do anything but wrong when upgrading the software....

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:45 pm

Aside from the fishing and hunting and a few minor details, you've about hit it on the head, Christian! And damn proud of it. I even have a nice tweed jacket bought in Edinburgh. Vodka-drinking "smart" set be damned!
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:27 pm

Good to hear! They can have their vodka for all I care!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby MGillespie » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:15 pm

Thanks for the confidence, T...I'm not sure if I'll go ahead with the project or not...still researching the costs for web hosting and production. I'll keep you all posted!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:17 am

MGillespie wrote:Thanks, gang...these are exactly the kind of comments I'm looking for. I have a feeling that most of the potential audience doesn't match up with the demographic that's likely to use podcasts right now...

You just need to make it easy for the people to use =)

Maybe it would even be possible to play a MP3 stream over a flash swf file (many have Flash installed already). And alternatively offer a link for those who have winamp installed, etc. Shouldnt be too hard to offer 2-3 options to listen to the same file. It's all in MP3 format if I understood correctly, not?

Anyway, good luck =)
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby JimHall » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:53 pm

Fantastic idea.
What is the cost implication.
JimHall
Bronze Member

Postby JimHall » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:56 pm

[quote="MrTattieHeid"] I suppose if I had an iPod and made the car iPod-friendly, that's where I'd be likely to listen. quote]

I have a 2.5 hour journey to work by car so that would be great.
JimHall
Bronze Member

Postby MGillespie » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:10 am

Ignoring my previous message...I have decided to go ahead with it, and it'll be at http://www.whiskycast.com in the next day or so. Taped several interviews at WhiskyFest in New York last night with Jim McEwan, Dr. Jim Swan of Penderyn, Parker Beam of Heaven Hill...Jimmy Russell of Wild Turkey fame, and Bill Samuels Jr. of Makers' Mark. I'll be featuring those interviews and more over the next few weeks.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:41 am

Cannot get that link to work :(
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:15 am

bamber wrote:Cannot get that link to work :(

whiskycast.com is registered yet, but it simply seems it is not poitning out to an IP yet, and thus cant be reached yet.

Like Mark said, in a few days ;)
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby MGillespie » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:45 pm

Just registered the site yesterday, and it usually takes 24-48 hours to propagate through the internet name servers. I still have to build a temporary site to start the podcasts, and will have something this weekend.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:35 pm

Cool - look forward to it.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby jeffk » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:32 pm

Oh man, I can't wait! I'd be all over it, I could listen all day at work :)

Are you looking for topics? :lol:
jeffk
Bronze Member

Postby MGillespie » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:35 pm

Of course...what did you have in mind?
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby rthomson » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:36 pm

I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Will the podcasts work on any player that can handle MP3 or do I need to have Apple iTunes?

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby MGillespie » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:54 pm

It'll work both ways...though I'm really hoping people will subscribe through iTunes because it tracks subscriptions and rates podcast popularity that way...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby jeffk » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:51 pm

A few ideas, that are interesting to me anyhow :)

- In your opinion, what makes a particular malt "good"
- go through and do tastings in depth, from the description of the malt, to the uncorking, to the pouring, nosing and tasting. Maybe with history of the particular malt, distillery, and what foods or situations it might be suited for
- An interview with David Broom or MJ? :)
- Cigars, and how they might be enjoyed with a dram
- Recommendations on how a person might start with SMSW and what are some of the common misconceptions about whisky, common things that newbies like me ask about, etc.

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to listening!
jeffk
Bronze Member

Postby MGillespie » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:20 pm

Good ideas...however, there's one philosophy that I plan to live by. I'm not qualified to rate whiskies, or provide tasting descriptions...I'm a journalist, so what the podcast will have is news, events, and interviews with the experts who can provide that advice. I wish I'd had the chance to talk with Michael Jackson...we were in the same room at WhiskyFest Wednesday night, but I never got a chance to meet him.
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:43 pm

Thanks for your efforts, Mark!
One idea - couldn't we do some cajolery to MrT and persuade him to do some reading of his recent travel-diaries to Scotland?

:wink:
bernstein
Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder