Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Do you subscribe, buy or borrow Whisky Magazine??

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

I subscribe, buy or borrow Whisky Magazine.
69%
I'm just here for the Forum.
31%

Total votes : 42

Postby Lawrence » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:48 pm

Just curious............
Last edited by Lawrence on Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby MGillespie » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:51 pm

I gladly subscribe...after finding that it takes weeks for new issues to show up at bookstores in the States.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:59 pm

I buy it as soon as it arrives in my newskiosk. I've thought about subscription but I haven't really bothered yet. I guess I like going into the store and buy several magazines, looking at the covers etc. instead of getting it with the post. Besides, you don't save a lot buy subscribe. If it was possible to get both Whiskymag + "Scotland mag" and a good deal I'd be happy to subscribe!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:09 pm

I agree with Christian...subscribing doesn't save me any money at all...but it does save me the time I used to spend checking the bookstores each week or two to see if a new issue had arrived.

However, I may not be able to justify another year's subscription at the current prices. Perhaps if the publishers were to consider an electronic option at a lower price, that might make things more reasonable...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:58 pm

Hey! I answered one! I do subscribe, mainly because I can't depend on finding it at the newsstand. Looking forward to the new beer magazine, as well. I pick up the Scotland mag on the newsstand occasionally, but to be honest, it's usually too yupscale for my tastes.

But I digress--the question is, I think, what percentage of the folks here on the forums are or are not readers of the magazine. If there are any out there who are not, I'd be curious to know about it, and to hear how you came to be here.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:23 pm

Tattiehied, you took part in a poll!!!!! :shock:

Has anybody ever read Scottish Feild Magazine? I have a subsrciption and they actually have quite a bit of info on whiskies every month, I'm very pleased with it.

I just noticed this and agree:

Please feel free to go "off topic" in threads started by myself - as long as it has to do with whisky and is done in a friendly tone!

Since this is my post/poll feel free to wander to your hearts content keeping in mind the friendly bit.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:56 pm

I haven't seen it in quite a while. I'll occasionally pick up Scotland, Scottish Life, Scottish Memories, and The Scots Magazine, if I happen to see them and there's something of particular interest to me. Scottish Life has a column by Charlie MacLean, and I believe The Scots Magazine has a regular column on whisky, also, although I can't find a copy just now to confirm. But I don't think in either case that there's any real news there for readers of Whisky.

I also have an issue of Scots, the Journal of the Scots Heritage Society, which is pretty heavy duty. I ought to subscribe to that, as I don't ever see it on the stand--I don't even remember where I got it. Nice photography, serious articles. Nothing particularly on whisky in the issue I have.
Deactivated Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:36 pm

I buy it, but only when in Britain (it costs £11 here in Norway).
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:05 am

Lawrence wrote:Tattiehied, you took part in a poll!!!!! :shock:

Has anybody ever read Scottish Feild Magazine? I have a subsrciption and they actually have quite a bit of info on whiskies every month, I'm very pleased with it.

I just noticed this and agree:

Please feel free to go "off topic" in threads started by myself - as long as it has to do with whisky and is done in a friendly tone!

Since this is my post/poll feel free to wander to your hearts content keeping in mind the friendly bit.

Who do you think will win the Premiership this year? Can Chelsea be beaten?

I'm a subscriber...
Aidan

Postby Bullie » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:30 pm

I subscribe, since - as many others have stated - I can't trust the magazineshops to have it every month... And to save me the trip to the shop! :)
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:15 pm

Well, disregard all I said about the joy of looking at the magazine covers :D As of now I have a subscription on Whiskymag and Scotlandmag!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby MGillespie » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:45 pm

OK, publishers...does Lawrence get a commission since he started the thread that persuaded Christian to subscribe? ;)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:11 am

I also have an issue of Scots, the Journal of the Scots Heritage Society, which is pretty heavy duty.

This is actually produced out of Australia. I agree it is pretty heavy duty. They did some articles on whisky in their early issues, but when I spoke to the editor about the subject a few months back, they weren't planning on featuring anything in the foreseeable future.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:36 am

It's a nice magazine, fairly serious but not overly so--very readable, not really academic or anything. Alas, the copy I have is loaded with typos. Mr Picky was aghast. Surely in this day of computer typesetting, proofreading is not that difficult.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:58 am

Maybe their "word-perfect"software MIA. Oh well i'd never subscribe or buy the magazine. Not exactly the kind of mag. that you'd find in a waiting room somewhere either.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby rthomson » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:25 am

I subscribe but, like others have said, the availability at local bookstores is inconsistent. If availability was more widespread I'd still be buying and reading it.

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:43 am

I've been buying it at a newsstand that always has it in stock. It's a good mag IMHO and worth the $. Thanks to my prize for posting I've been given a year's subscription so that's that. I've been contemplating a re-up when the year runs out. I must confess I don't like the subscription prices. Perhaps I'll look closely at the special offer circulated last x-mas if it is repeated this year. If not, I'll go back to buying from the newsstand.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:21 am

I had a subscription (thanks to my lovely wife) - but I couldn't bring myself to renew it for several reasons:

1) lousy and late delivery

2) it was cheaper and more reliable buying it at my local newsagents...

I've had a fair amount of correspendence with WM - and only felt I was getting anywhere with Marcin - but now that he's gone I got the "form letter brushoff" and gave up on subscribing...

I still regularly buy my copies...

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby MGillespie » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:35 pm

I hope someone from the magazine is reading these comments...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Ed » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:23 pm

Hello All,
I don't subscribe, the reason being I have never really seen it. I did have a look at the 2005 best of the best issue, in a dark bar where I couldn't really see well enough to read it. They want 10,080 yen for a year's subscription which is a bit much for a magazine I have never had a chance to peruse. If I ever do see it on a magazine rack I will buy it. Then I will think about subscribing.
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby scotsmaori » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:08 am

I buy Whisky Magazine from our local whisky shop in Christchurch NZ, it's a very enjoyable read, I look forward to each new edition.
scotsmaori

Postby scotsmaori » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:08 am

I buy Whisky Magazine from our local whisky shop in Christchurch NZ, it's a very enjoyable read, I look forward to each new edition.
scotsmaori

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:37 am

I was a subscriber (i think the last issue I will get should be the next or the last I got). Last year I was unpleased with the quality of the articles (IMO the quality really went down over the past 2-3 years), and well, the delivery has been an issue for years (and despite communication and promises it would be looked into it never changed anything). Last I subscribed for only a year to see how it was going, but found the articles not really getting my interest anymore. I would find only maybe 1 or 2 articles really interesting to read, and the rest just for enjoying with a dram or so. The price of the mag was not worth it for me.

And for being updated with the last whisky related news a paper bi-monthly magazine simply wont do it anymore in this age where we have the Internet.

So, now I'm curious how this online thing is going to be developped. I would love a way to only read what I like to read (and pay for what I want to read), and have it in a timely manner as well instead of having to wait many weeks. Just afraid it will be overpriced, but will have to wait and see I guess =)
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:30 pm

I subscribe with pleasure, it's the only magazine that I read from cover to cover.

Life without the Wisky Magazine . . . not even worth contemplating.

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu May 18, 2006 6:03 pm

Come on, all you newbies, let's see if you subscribe or not.......
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Choochoo » Thu May 18, 2006 6:37 pm

Don't subscribe, but have bought it when making the 2 hour trek to Town Wine & Spirits in Rhode Island, which I think is the nearest liquor store to me that sells it.

(whispering -shhhh) However a store that's 2 minutes from my house sells another whisky (or Malt) focused mag that I always make sure to snap up each yearly quarter.

However my birthday is this summer, and I will ask for a subscription as a gift. It only seems right to support the organization that supports this fine forum.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu May 18, 2006 6:52 pm

I receive and read the Whisky Mag. every month.

I have never seen it in any of the international shops here in Munich, so I doubt that I could obtain it easily by any other means.

WH
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Thu May 18, 2006 7:04 pm

I don't subscribe but buy every issue. Here in Sweden we have a retail chain called Press-Stop. They also run Press Stop Online where you can subscribe to your favourite magazine or buy separate issues.
In total they have approx. 1800 different magazines from around the globe and if you order online before noon you usually have it in your mailbox the day after.
I often get back to old issues to check around for information and I read every word in every issue. A great magazine... :wink:

What I don't understand is why the update on their website is so slow...issue #55 arrived some weeks ago and they still have the info from #53 on the website. :roll:

Cheers

Postby Photon » Thu May 18, 2006 7:24 pm

I buy it when I see it, which is about every 4th issue. Malt Advocate is more readily available. I see them as complimentary publications, rather than competing, but that could just be me.

I don't subscribe to many magazines as they tend to arrive looking like they already spent time in the doctor's office

-P.
Photon
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu May 18, 2006 7:59 pm

I subscribe as I too cannot get it in my retailer but even if I could I'd be too forgetful/lazy to go to the shop evey month to six weeks to pick it up. Therefore subscription suits me down to the ground. The lateness of the issue does not really bother me at all.

However I too feel that some of the contributors are slacking up these days. To be quite honest I'm getting bored of Michael Jacksons musings... he seems to spend more time talking about the talk events he goes to and not alot about whisky. Maybe it supposed to be that way but they are becoming too familiar for me.... oh well :roll:

I stll enjoy the Mag though
Last edited by irishwhiskeychaser on Fri May 19, 2006 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby PuckJunkie » Thu May 18, 2006 8:19 pm

Lawrence wrote:Come on, all you newbies, let's see if you subscribe or not.......

Not yet, but I probably will in the near future. I notice all the old articles I see on the site say something like "subscribe to read the entire article"... is the old content archived for subscribers? Just curious.

I've been looking at local bookstores for the magazine for a few weeks but haven't seen it. I'm pretty sure I've seen it in the past, but if I can't find it soon I'll probably just subscribe.

Puck
PuckJunkie
Bronze Member

Postby Jan » Thu May 18, 2006 8:30 pm

I don't subscribe, but usually buy it (at a premium) a one of the few newsstands that carry it.

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Thu May 18, 2006 9:15 pm

PuckJunkie wrote:I notice all the old articles I see on the site say something like "subscribe to read the entire article"... is the old content archived for subscribers? Just curious.

Puck

That's a great question! I only have a subscription through putting up 500 posts, so I don't have credit for a paid subscription...yet!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

I subscribe

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri May 19, 2006 12:03 am

PuckJunkie wrote: "... is the old content archived for subscribers? Just curious.I've been looking at local bookstores for the magazine for a few weeks but haven't seen it. Puck

Puck (of Pooks Hill?):
No, I've never found a secret code that lets me read the rest of the article online, I have to go and open my issue to read it. The staff at WM are terrific in setting up a subscription by internet. I dealt with Helen Slater, who is a wonderful and helpful lady: helens@galleon.co.uk.
I notice there is a "button" on the WM homepage which I'll try when I renew in a couple of years. I've never seen the magazine on a newstand anywhere here in our city, or for that matter, in Winterpeg.
Musky Pete
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Fri May 19, 2006 12:11 pm

PuckJunkie wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Come on, all you newbies, let's see if you subscribe or not.......

Not yet, but I probably will in the near future. I notice all the old articles I see on the site say something like "subscribe to read the entire article"... is the old content archived for subscribers? Just curious.

I've been looking at local bookstores for the magazine for a few weeks but haven't seen it. I'm pretty sure I've seen it in the past, but if I can't find it soon I'll probably just subscribe.

Puck

Barnes & Noble (or was it Books-A-Million) in Grapevine Mills Mall has it, That's where I got my first issue before subscribing.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder