Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Which one should I get?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which one should I get?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:07 pm

1. Aberlour A'bunadh
44%
2. Clynelish 14
11%
3. Old Pulteney 12
No votes
4. Old Pulteney 17
11%
5. Lagavulin 12
11%
6. Talisker 18
22%
7. Laphroaig 15
No votes
8. Other?
No votes

Total votes : 18

Which one should I get?

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:07 pm

My inlaws are going to Scotland next Thursday and they've offered to buy a bottle of whisky for me. Unfortunately they cannot bring more because of the norwegian import quota. I'm first and foremost interested in OBs simply because my inlaws' hesitance to speak or read english and I believe independant bottlings will only add to their confusion.
Anyway, the most important criteria is to get my hands on a whisky that isn't available here and I think the Aberlour A'bunadh is my choice numero uno!

However, I leave it to you to vote what I should prefer?

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby lambda » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:14 pm

If I were you, I would go for the talisker 18. It's really excellent and there's not much like it. Of course, the Aberlour A'bunadh is also a great choice, but not unlike a bunch of other sherrymonsters..
lambda
Bronze Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:20 pm

The a'bunadh is always a safe bet ( and not too expensive either).

Theres a rumour going around that the Talisker 18 might be available in Norway within the not too distant future.

You could always get them to buy several bottles, and then declare them. The Norwegian customsrules allow you to declare four litres in addition to the one litre duty-free allowance.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:22 pm

That's a tough list to choose from, I was torn between them but on a coin toss chose the Aberlour A'bunadh.
Last edited by Lawrence on Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:00 pm

Talisker 18 and the aberlour are both excellent (as are all your other choices). But faced with a desert island scenario I think I would probably plump for the Aberlour, simply because it will dilute further and could be enjoyed longer!
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:56 pm

Hi All!
Thanks for the answers and the votes. Keep on voting everyone :D So far the A'bunadh is a clear leader!

Hei Arve :)
SpiritofShetland wrote:Theres a rumour going around that the Talisker 18 might be available in Norway within the not too distant future.

I certainly wouldn't mind. Is this a part of the wider rumours going on about "Vinmonopolet's" alledged future focus on whisky?

You could always get them to buy several bottles, and then declare them. The Norwegian customsrules allow you to declare four litres in addition to the one litre duty-free allowance.

True - but isn't it awfully expensive?

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby SpiritofShetland » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:23 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:I certainly wouldn't mind. Is this a part of the wider rumours going on about "Vinmonopolet's" alledged future focus on whisky?

Our 'wonderful' Vinmonopol's focus on whisky was last January. But this rumour stems from Diageo Norway's representatives at Oslo Whiskyfestival last November.

Furthermore, one of the Winemonopoly's specificators (fancy title, isn't it?) has told me the following:
In September and November we'll be releasing several malts. And they are really exciting. If everything goes ass planned there'll be a distillery never before available in Norway (might be Glengoyne, my remark). And some new launches from known distilleries previously dicussed on these pages (the NMWL-pages, my remark). Only one of the products have ever been availablle in Norway, so I hope this will be a good autumn for whiskynuts Norway.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:41 pm

Hi Arve!
Yes, I know about the January release but I've "been told" that whisky again will be focused on - sometime in the not too distant future......It remains to be seen how true it is though?

The only whisky that I know is coming in September is the Quarter Cask. Last email from the importer said May or September so I really hope they didn't forget about it.

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby SpiritofShetland » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:59 pm

Include to that Bruichladdich 3D and Glenfiddich Caoran, which both have been confirmed.

And we're awaiting confirmation on dates for products from Burn-Stewart Distillers (the importer Strøm is losing Glenmorangie Plc to Möet Hennessy Norge AS and are therefore focusing on products from C L World Brands).
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:10 am

SpiritofShetland wrote:And we're awaiting confirmation on dates for products from Burn-Stewart Distillers (the importer Strøm is losing Glenmorangie Plc to Möet Hennessy Norge AS and are therefore focusing on products from C L World Brands).

Hm, does that mean Bunnahabhain will resurface on the shelves at Vinmonopolet (or the blue list)?

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby jimidrammer » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:16 am

I would also go for the Aberlour A'bunadh if you can't get/never had it. The Clynelish is another fav of mine. I haven't opened my Talisker 18 yet, but heard nothing but good things. If it was my choice it would be the Lagavulin 12 because it's impossible to find here.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:43 am

Go with the A'bunadh...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:15 am

Aberlour. --No, Talisker aiieeeeeeeeeeee.....................
Deactivated Member

Postby Wendy » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:44 am

Hi Christian,
I learnt a lot from your comments in the "Sherry" thread. On that alone, I think you would find the Aberlour an enjoyable taste adventure and an added compliment to your knowledge on the sherry subject.

Cheers, Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:26 am

I would go for a style you don't already have in stock. ie. If you have sherry and peat, perhaps Pulteny?
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:05 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:Hm, does that mean Bunnahabhain will resurface on the shelves at Vinmonopolet (or the blue list)?
Skål!
Christian

That might just be the case. I also forgot to mention that Strøm also will be representing Glengoyne on the Norwegian market.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:53 pm

Wendy wrote:Hi Christian,
I learnt a lot from your comments in the "Sherry" thread. On that alone, I think you would find the Aberlour an enjoyable taste adventure and an added compliment to your knowledge on the sherry subject.

Cheers, Wendy

Thanks for your kind words Wendy :) It certainly looks like the Aberlour will be the winner! I guess it would be a smart choice as I've limited experience with heavily sherried whiskies. In fact -I can't wait!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:10 pm

Yes--the more I think about it, the more I think the a'bunadh will be more unlike anything you've had. (Hope Mr Picky doesn't see that sentence.)
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:16 am

Most of those bottlings are reasonably "common".

The Lagavulin 12 stood out to me as the one that is a little harder to get, or has some degree of "limited edition-ness".

For me, the choice is between the Talisker 18 and the Lagavulin 12. Me, I'd go the Lagavulin, but that's the peat freak in me speaking! :wink:

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:05 am

Thanks for your advice Admiral - I really appreciate it :)

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby kallaskander » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:57 am

Hi there,

I strongly recomend Clynelish 14 years. Why? Because it is a malt that presents itself always with something new with every glas you pour. It has a diversity of aromas and flavours that is not easily matched by any other malt I have had until yet. For me it is the malt to answer the question "You are to go to a lonely Island you are allowed one bottle of malt. Which one do you chose?"
To me the Clynelish 14 years offers something out of every region in Scotland. In a way it is an essential malt, a malt containing the essences from the Islands to the Lowlands, Speyside and the Highlands.

And no, I´m not in their employ.

Greetings
kallaskander
Last edited by kallaskander on Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:37 am

Personally, I think one bottle of that Aberlour is enough for a lifetime. Started great but it's a lot candied sherry treacle to get through.

1. Lagavulin, 2. Talisker, 3. Clynelish, 4. Laphroaig.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:22 pm

What if the gent gets turned off by peat?
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:38 pm

Is that at all possible?
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:43 pm

No is the answer to that :D

Well to be honest, I was off the peat wagon for a while but now I'm a believer again 8)

Thanks for your suggestion Kallaskander - or should I say thank you all for participating in the poll with your help and effort. I really appreciate it! The poll will come to a conclusion this evening and although it looks like we have a winner I'm still going to use the results for future purchasing when abroad!

Thanks again!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:47 am

Ladies & Gentlemen, it looks like I'm about to be well and truly "Aberloured" .

Thank you all for your time, votes and advices on what to buy!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:08 am

Hi All!
It's time for a little update! My inlaws came back from Scotland yesterday - but without the Aberlour A'bunadh! It seems they had very little time to spend in Edinburgh as they took part in a roundtrip" by buss. They did however visit Glenkinchie and because its status a "classic malt" distillery the selection was a "classic malt" only. Talisker 18 was the second on my wish-list and that's what they brought back. Judging by the comments in this thread it seems to be a good choice though!
So again - thanks for your help and time!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby bamber » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:02 am

Personally It think you lucked out there :) Enjoy !
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:25 pm

Yes, I really like the Talisker 18 also, good score!
Last edited by Lawrence on Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:09 pm

I look forward to your impression of it--I know you're not crazy about the 10.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:07 pm

So do I - but honestly, the 10 is good and I do enjoy it. It's only the fact that I don't enjoy it as much as Laphroaig 10CS, Ardbeg Ten and the Lagavulin 16. I guess I'm being a bit unfair but still..

Oh, my inlaws also brought me back a couple of Glencairns which I'm eager to try!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder