Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Articles

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which subject would interest you most in an article about whisky?

Production
32%
Taste
21%
History
32%
Packaging
11%
Events/Industry News
5%

Total votes : 19

Whisky Articles

Postby Iain » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:28 am

Not sure that's phrased too well, but you get my drift?
Last edited by Iain on Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:16 am

I like a variety of subjects. I don't know if an article on packaging would be very much interesting, but everything else you list is good. I'll vote history just because I think that gets neglected a bit.
Deactivated Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:31 am

Adspiring writing an article Ian? ;) Or dare I even say... A book?
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:34 am

I voted for "Production".

There are plenty of books on taste - Pip Hills' "Appreciating Whisky" probably being the most indepth, and of course, MJ and JM have given us tasting notes for just about every whisky.

History? Well, there's a number of books on that front as well.

But how often have we all contributed to these pages saying something like, "I wonder what sort of malt they used?" or "Where did they get their casks from?" or "Would the Lomond stills have contributed to the flavour any differently", etc, etc.

We all know the production process - barley -> malt -> wort -> wash -> new make -> whisky, etc, etc, but what about the nitty gritty of what a distillery ACTUALLY does. What goes on behind the scenes? What decision or action does this distillery do that makes it different to others? That's what I'm interested in! :)

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby toshie » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:41 pm

I like some of the social history in PSS and the characters in Maclean's Liquid History, so a combination would appeal to me
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby Bullie » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:59 pm

As the historyfreak I am, this was an easy one! :)
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:09 pm

Admiral wrote:...... but what about the nitty gritty of what a distillery ACTUALLY does. What goes on behind the scenes? What decision or action does this distillery do that makes it different to others? That's what I'm interested in! :)

Cheers,
Admiral

I agree. It would also be interesting in finding out more about the politics involved. Why are certain distilleries mothballed/closed etc. Is it the product or the personalities involved? Why are some successful and others not?
Deactivated Member

Postby The Fachan » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:18 pm

Admiral,

Speak up, ask the questions. There will no doubt be a surprise or two around. Besides its always fun to speculate.

Regards

Ian
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby Iain » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:22 pm

Jeroen, I intend to feed the results through my sophisticated feedback analysis programme and come up with a formula for the perfect whisky article!

I should have added another category to the poll - I realise many folks also like to read about whisky personalities, past and present. I'll go off and try to add it now...
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:22 pm

Outcome seems to be really clear Iain =) Good luck on your article.

And hi Ian!

You two should explain me the difference between Ian and Iain! I always wondered about that. But now I'm stealing the topic ...
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Iain » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:23 pm

Surely it's obvious - I is the difference!

(If it helps, you can refer to Ian as Cyclops - he only has one I).

To get back on-topic - it's currently looking as though the perfect whisky article (for folks on this site) would concentrate on the ways in which a whisky or whiskies are made, with a good dollop of history of the company/distillery concerned. Only a wee bit about taste and the packaging would be required.

But the poll hasn't closed yet...
Last edited by Iain on Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby The Fachan » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:28 pm

Iain,

LOL, thats one idea, we might have to discuss it the next time I am in the Pot Still in Glasgow.

Ian
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:28 pm

Maybe there was a difference in it as for example its meaning or so =) (aside of just the extra i :p)

Edit: Speaking of the potstill, was there last saturday! Unfortunally we arrived late and the bar was all smokey, too smokey to taste any of the whiskies offered...

We had to get up around 6am the following morning as well.. So... Blergh. Well, maybe next time ;)

BTW Ian Logan, you the Ian Logan I met at Aberlour about a week ago? (I think you are, but just checking to make sure I dont make wrong assumptions =))
Last edited by Jeroen Kloppenburg on Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:31 pm

Iain is the Gaelic spelling and Ian is the English spelling. However, the Gaelic spelling is now used commonly in Scotland (and beyond) by non Gaelic speakers. Both equate to John, Jon, Jan, Ivan, Sean, Sion, Jean, Giovanni, etc.
Deactivated Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:33 pm

Ahhhhhh... cheers Nick, that was what I was looking for!

Ian: I suggets leaving out an article about the history of gaelic distillery names :p (too bring this back on-topic, excuses for bringing it off-topic in the first place :))
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Iain » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:36 pm

Ian, I'd be happy to buy you a dram at the Pot Still. I reckon I can guess your favourite tipple! 8)

Jeroen, the difference is apparently that Iain is the Gaelic spelling of Ian (which is itself a version of John, Jan etc etc?). But I'm no expert, and I'd be happy to learn any alternative view (which really would be wandering away off-topic...)
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:56 am

Nick Brown wrote:Iain is the Gaelic spelling and Ian is the English spelling. However, the Gaelic spelling is now used commonly in Scotland (and beyond) by non Gaelic speakers. Both equate to John, Jon, Jan, Ivan, Sean, Sion, Jean, Giovanni, etc.

Actually, most people think Sean is the Irish gaelic for John, but it's actually Eoin.

Reminds me of the childrens programme - I am a story teller, my story...
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:46 pm

i voted for history, and was surprised when it was the number one vote getter! i love reading the old stories about illicit whisky, and especially about some of the old whiskies and how bad they likely were, with herbs and the like used to mask flavors. Ah the goood old days.

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:16 pm

<off topic> If you like illicit stills, keep an eye on next month's updates on my site ;) </off topic>
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder