Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Which one to get? At World of Whiskies London Heathrow

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which one to get?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:56 am

Laphroaig Quarter Cask
15%
Ardbeg Uigeadail
46%
Springbank 15
15%
Longrow 14
23%

Total votes : 13

Which one to get? At World of Whiskies London Heathrow

Postby edjohnb » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:56 am

Friend's coming from England to my sunny island state for a holiday and has volunteered to feed my whisky frenzy because of the very poor selection available in Singapore. Help me to choose if I have to just have one.
Also, which are available at Heathrow's World of Whiskies?
edjohnb

Postby ikendal » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:03 pm

I was at Heathrow Last year and although I was welcomed and entertained at World of Whisky I purchased my whisky from next door, berry bros. and rudd, choose a wonderful CS own bottling, I also received a taste of the 1973 glenrothes.

But in answer the the question I would go for QC or the Longrow 14, or maybe the springbank - infact don't ask me!
ikendal
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:53 pm

I would choose the Quarter Cask, it's new and a little unusual right now.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Jan » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:06 pm

I would go for the Uigeadail - as stock run low at Ardbeg, supply will probably not last forever.

/Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:37 am

Not sure what you like. The Springbank is less intense than the others IMO.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:46 am

Ooga, doll! Of those four, that would be my choice. Wish to heck WoW would post stock lists online.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:16 am

Where is WoW in Heathrow - which terminal, and is it air side or land side?
Deactivated Member

Postby edjohnb » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:42 am

hey Nick, Not too sure where it is because I was never interested in Whisky when I resided there for 3 years...... And I can feel wave after wave of regret hitting me now.
Anyway, It seems it's on Terminals 1 & 3 according to these websites.

http://www.heathrow-airport-guide.co.uk/shops-t-3.html

http://www.londontown.com/LondonInforma ... kies/bf18/
edjohnb

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:32 pm

According to their advert in a publication I subscribe to (you may have seen it), they are in all four terminals at Heathrow, as well as Gatwick, Stansted, and Glasgow. I've seen one or two of them, and I think they are airside, but I won't swear to that.

If they follow these forums at all, they may begin to question the efficacy of their advertising.
Deactivated Member

Postby JimHall » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:12 pm

The wow is airside....... see my previous posts on this matter as I use to visit it twice a week and have given my views on it previously.
JimHall
Bronze Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:17 pm

It would have to be the Ardbeg for me, I just can't resist it.

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:12 pm

I discounted the Springbank straight away, but of the three remaining, it's a bloody difficult choice.

Laphroaig QC is spectacularly good, and Ardbeg Uigedail is an interesting expression of Ardbeg, as well as being rare & unusual.

After considerable deliberation, I voted for Longrow 14. It's a delicious drop, rich, full of peat, beautifully smooth and oily, and it's also a rare whisky.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Tom » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:07 pm

Voted for Ardbeg Uigeadaile because it will soon be gone and this is terrific stuff. The runner up was the QC Laphroaig but I think this will be availeble troughout the world and will become easely accesseble because its easy to make.
Was a bit suprised that by the comment of Admiral on behalf of the Longrow, I never had the feeling this is hard to get, but then again its different here then it is in Australia or the US for example. Still quality like, i'd go for the Uigeadail.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:31 pm

Hi Tom,

Longrow certainly isn't available in Australia, so it is rare from that point of view, but I was thinking mainly of the fact that Longrow is produced for such a short period each year.

(Out of interest, does anyone know what length of time Longrow is produced for? A week? A fortnight? Anybody?)

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:48 pm

If I remember correctly from my tours of Springbank they have 5 malts bins and one was filled with malt of a suitable peating for Longrow, one suitable for Hazelburn and three suitable for Springbank. So it's not a lot of either Hazelburn or Longrow being made. I visited Springbank quite a few years ago and the situation could have changes but the old gent on the tour said they only made the 5 malt bins worth of whisky a year.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby karlejnar » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:48 pm

When I took the tour of Springbank in 2003 we were told they filled the malt bins twice a year. 3 months they prepare the barley, 3 months they ferment and distill. Then the proces is repeated.

The ratio is 70% Springbank, 20% Longrow and 10% Hazelburn. That would suggest that Hazelburn is made only once a year. The others twice a year.

Hazelburn malt is dried purely over hot air for 36 hours and triple distilled. Longrow is dried for 36 hours over peat fire and double distilled. Springbank is dried for 6 hours over peat and then for 30 hours using hot air. And it's 2½ times distilled (double and triple distilled spirit is mixed)

After they have reopened the Glengyle distillery, they also prepare the malt at Springbank for this. I don't know the details on the proces. They might have to do this in between making the above mentioned maltings.
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:53 pm

Great! Updated info, I dodn't know (or had forgotten) about the refilling of the malt bins, perhaps this is a more recent development as production/demand has increased.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder