Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg fans help me

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which Ardbeg is bigger, smokier, and peatier? OR Which do you do you like better and why?

Ardbeg Uigeadail
47%
Ardbeg Very Young
22%
Ardbeg - Other?
31%

Total votes : 36

Ardbeg fans help me

Postby Nock » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:21 am

The only Ardbeg I have tasted is the 10yo and I LOVE it. I have been itching to try the Uigeadail for a while now but it has recently come to my attention that the Very Young has an even higher alcohol by volume % then the Uigeadail. It looks like I am going to have to special order as I live in Seattle and they don't plan on ordering either anytime soon.

If you were only going to buy ONE which would it be?

To give you an idea of my taste. I just picked up a bottle of Laphroaig 10yo CS and it blew me away. From my limited experience, it is without a doubt the best malt I have ever had (over Lagavulin 12yo CS, and Ardbeg 10yo which were tied for my first place). Later that night I tasted the Talisker 20yo (at 58.8%) and it comes in at a close second to the Laphroaig. My goal is to find an Ardbeg to compete with these great malts and get Ardbeg back on the top of my list. :wink:

I love smoke and I love peat. :lol:

Thanks

Nock
Nock
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:46 am

Not the Kildalton anyway. I would go for the Uigeadail as the smokiest.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:53 am

My vote goes to the VYA, but I only had the committee bottling. Heard there was a difference with the later version.
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby toshie » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:03 am

The 1977 I tasted last week was astonishing - everything I ever hoped a whisky would be
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:26 am

The Very Young shold do the trick if you're into heavily peated whiskies. It's a powerfull dram at cask strength and not only is it very young but it's also very good :wink: It has a higher phenolic rate than the Laphroaig CS and if I'm not mistaken it has the highest phenolic rate for years in an Ardbeg.

The Uigeadail is one of the best whiskies I've ever had! There's some old sherry cask matured whisky in too. You need to try both!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Aidan » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:52 am

toshie wrote:The 1977 I tasted last week was astonishing - everything I ever hoped a whisky would be

I'll have to open my bottle so.
Aidan

Postby patrick dicaprio » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:48 pm

i would go for the Uigeadail. it is one of the most unique whiskies i have had, very tarry and smoky. definitely NOT a taste though for everyone, and if you are at all concerned about the taste i would pass on it.

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby hpulley » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:26 pm

The Uigeadail is very good. I now think I like it more than TEN. I've never done a head to head with it and a single from the '70s though.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby bamber » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:41 pm

My personal favourite is the 10yo although the 1977 is better ! The Uigeadail is superb and a must for all Ardbeg fans. As much as I enjoy the Very Young it is pretty raw and it is a long way form being everyday pour potential.

The fact is you *have* to try all the standard expressions - the 10yo, Uigeadail, and Very Young they are all great whiskies.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:25 am

The Uigeadail gets my vote. But really any Ardbeg is worth a try.

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:32 am

Gotta love the Uigeadail - and if you venture north to British Columbia we have it priced at $109.99 Cdn. ($93 US)... it is an explosive brute (Cask Strength) that has you not wanting to hit the ground... but there are only great Ardbegs and really great Ardbegs...

Cheers, Dave
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:01 pm

I'd have to go with the Uigeadail (though I admit not having tried the 77 or 17yo which I gather are stellar).
The Uig is a 10yo that's grown up.
Deactivated Member

Postby Tom » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:45 pm

For peat you should opt for the VY, but for everything else the Uigeadail is great, I voted for the Uigeadail too.. Other then the standard bottlings, any official vintage is great to superb stuff.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:22 pm

Both are cracking drams in their own right but i voted for the Very Young for the simple fact in one so young the first time i tried it i picked up all the old Ardbeg traits in the background , iodine , cocoa etc .
Can't wait for the next release .......
Slainté
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:35 pm

The results of the poll lead me to suspect that either not many respondents have tried the Very Young, or they've mistaken the poll for "What is your favourite Ardbeg" :D

In answer to the question, "What is the peatiest, smokiest Ardbeg", then there is little doubt in my mind that the Very Young is the peatiest by a long, long shot. My first reaction when I tasted it was, "This is brutal!" :wink:

However, it isn't the most enjoyable Ardbeg, because it is still very green and young, and the complexities of age haven't yet kicked in. This is why the Uigedail, 10yo, and 1977 are better whiskies.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:57 am

Admiral wrote:The results of the poll lead me to suspect that either not many respondents have tried the Very Young, or they've mistaken the poll for "What is your favourite Ardbeg" :D

In answer to the question, "What is the peatiest, smokiest Ardbeg", then there is little doubt in my mind that the Very Young is the peatiest by a long, long shot. My first reaction when I tasted it was, "This is brutal!" :wink:

However, it isn't the most enjoyable Ardbeg, because it is still very green and young, and the complexities of age haven't yet kicked in. This is why the Uigedail, 10yo, and 1977 are better whiskies.

Cheers,
Admiral

Admiral - you may be correct on the peat portion alone - but the other components of the question made reference to BIGGER and SMOKIER... and the entire question was: Which Ardbeg is bigger, smokier, and peatier? OR Which do you do you like better and why?...

So, given that range - the Uigeadail - as a CASK STRENGTH expression at 54.2% is BIGGER... it certainly doesn't lack smoke or peat, it's more balanced, and so much more enjoyable (my opinion - FWIW)...

I've only had the Very Young on one occasion (thank you Lawrence) - and the Uigeadail continually calls my name (it's a current favourite)...

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:40 am

Yes, fair enough Dave! :)

I agree - the Uigedail calls my name far more regularly than the VY or 10yo.

I only tasted the 1977 once, and it still holds the highest score I've given any whisky. Unfortunately, it is beyond my price range, so I don't have a bottle of my own.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:23 am

Hi Admiral... 'agree whole heartedly on the '77 - and have a few bottles stashed away here. Not to rub it in, but I think I hear one calling my name now... :D

Perhaps you should consider crossing the Pacific for the Victoria Whisky Festival... and if you do we'll reward you with a dram or three for your efforts.

(That's Victoria, British Columbia, Canada - January 21, 2006)

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:09 am

I'm glad you clarified.....Victoria, Australia is just a nine hour drive south of Sydney!

A dram or three of '77 in return for spending $3,000 getting to Canada and back, eh? Almost seems worth it! :D

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Nock » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:50 am

Thanks guys for all the responses.

I was looking around on line and the Loch Fyne web site says of the Ardbeg Very Young, "Limited to 6,000 bottles for the UK". This got me thinking, is it possible to obtain the Very Young in the US (or western Canada?)??

I was going to have my local liquor store here in Seattle special order one of the two (Very Young or Uigeadail) but if they can't get the Very Young I guess this whole poll is pointless.

WestVanDave and Lawrence please let me know if the Very Young is available in B.C. I have good friends in Vancouver and am always looking for an excuse for a weekend trip :wink:

Also WestVanDave do you know if Lagavulin 12yo CS is still floating around the Vancouver Liquor shops? Here in Seattle the 2 bottles left are going for around $157 US each (where I picked up my bottle in Vancouver back in April for around $70 - $80 CAD).

Thanks guys

Nock
Nock
Bronze Member

Postby WestVanDave » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:01 am

I hate to be the bearer of bad news Nock ('was waiting for Lawrence to break it to you...).

The Ardbeg Very Young has never been in stock here in BC (well, except for at Lawrence's place)... and the Lag 12 CS is all gone... but, there are some new and exciting products in BC - including the Ardbeg Uigeadail at $109.99 Cdn. (~ $94 US)... and even more slated for release the week of Jim Murray's Whisky Tasting night here in Vancouver (November 22nd)...

See details in the Whisky Events section...

...this public service announcement brought to you by the West Coast Whisky Society!!! :wink:

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:22 am

Nock, I picked up one of my Ardbeg VY from a lady in Oregon who seems to have an endless supply of single malts for sale. I'll put you in touch with her if you like.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby zhi » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:50 am

i am very new to the wonderful world of single malt scotch. as a full time uni student working part time, my budget does not allow me to sample too many malts in a hurry.

the only two islay malts i have tasted are laphroaig 10yo and ardbeg 10yo. dare i say that ardbeg is much more elegant than laphroaig. the aroma of soda cream in the nose turns into intensely sweet liquorice with bitter chocolate on the palate.

laphroaig just seems a bit more straight forward, rather brawny. initially, the smell of iodine and phenol can be a bit overwhelming for one who had only tasted gentle speyside malts before.

but i enjoy both of them. they have their own styles.
zhi

Postby bamber » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:06 pm

Know what you mean re the 2 10yo's .... Welcome to the forum.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Nock » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:26 pm

Lawrence

if you could put me in touch with the "Oregon Connection"
I would be extremely grateful. :D

Nock
Nock
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:14 am

OK, please email me, I don't see your email hooked up on your profile.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Frodo » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:19 am

Just out of curiosity Lawrence, how much did the AVY cost you from the Oregon connection? I've heard horror stories about the pricing on this one (C$80) for so young a whisky.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:25 am

C$! Nope it was about US$80 but I only bought one bottle however the two I bought from Germany (I think) and had delivered to Scotland (that's ironic) were much cheaper but I simply can't remember the price right now. Good chance I never will. But you're correct it was a heavy price.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Frodo » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:30 am

Thanks Lawrence. Considering the 10yr old goes for C$75 in Ontario, the price tag of A$80 for the VY seems out of wack! Still different markets I guess...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:53 am

Don't forget, Frodo, that price is (in theory) a function of the laws of supply and demand, not age. Old whiskies are expensive because they are rare, not because they are old. Young whiskies can be in short supply and high demand, also.
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:03 am

Mr T's comment above is very true.

Consider the 5yo Jura - it costs $170 because it was a one-off bottling. That's more than the retail price of either Macallan 18 or Highland Park 18!!

Ardbeg VY also cost around $140, which is more expensive than the Uigedail!

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby karlejnar » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:22 pm

Ardbeg VY also cost around $140, which is more expensive than the Uigedail!

Could it be due to the higher abv in AVY 58.3% compared to 54.2% in the Oogie.

The duty is dependent of the abv I guess.
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:17 am

Duty and excise certainly raises the price of alcoholic bottlings, and this is why cask-strength bottlings generally cost more than their 40-43% counterparts.

However, the difference in alcohol between the two you mentioned is only 4%, so this shouldn't make too significant a difference.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Would go for the old Ten from allied

Postby corbuso » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:17 am

I have to say it is pretty difficult to say which one is best, since it does
mainly on the moment you want to drink it.

I did find the Uigedail very close to the 1990, although more sherry and it is a very lovely dram.

When I want something more peaty and aggressive, I would go for the Very young.

But my favorite is the old TEN from allied (40%), the mix of tar, peat and smoke was superb and I got the impression to be transported inside the peat fire of a croft house.

If you know where I can find one, please let me know. My last bottle is almost empty.
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:10 pm

I think I saw one in Loch Fyne's Loft.

Alas, this poll is marred by the ambiguity of the question--which part of it is anyone answering? In the first case, it has to be VYA, and in the second, most likely Uigeadail. (As if this were a scientific exercise, anyway!)
Deactivated Member

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder