Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg vs Lagavulin vs Laphroaig

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Ardbeg vs Lagavulin vs Laphroaig

Poll ended at Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:31 am

Ardbeg
46%
Lagavulin
20%
Laphroaig
34%

Total votes : 41

Postby hpulley » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:24 pm

Admiral wrote:
According to Andrew Jefford's "Peat Smoke and Spirit" both Caol Ila and Lagavulin use 35ppm peated,

Harry,

Gordon and I have had this discussion previously, but Lagavulin reverted to 35ppm only 6 or 7 years ago.

The Lagavulin (at least the 16yo) we are drinking at the moment comes from a time when the malt was a healthier 50ppm.

Cheers,
Admiral

Oh yes, I agree that those are current figures. In the past Ardbeg has been much higher AND lower depending on the year as has Bunnahabhain, Lagavulin, et al. Caol Ila does regular and lightly peated runs even now.

Of course, if we believe our noses, the stuff distilled 10-16 years ago was more lightly peated for Laga and Laphroaig than the older stuff as many of us seem to agree that it used to be stronger. Could just be our alcohol burned noses and tongues though ;)

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby mar_mcdo » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:27 pm

at the moment i'd have to go with laphroaig quarter cask. deliciously sweet and smokey at the same time! i do however love my lagavulin. i hate having to decide on my favourite whisky....far too difficult, depends what your in the mood for at the time!

Slainte! M
mar_mcdo

Postby MGillespie » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:47 pm

I think I'm finally going to have to crack open my bottle of Quarter Cask and do a HTH with a Laphroaig 10...maybe tonight...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby toshie » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:14 pm

I'm with Admiral: the Ardbeg 77 is the finest whisky I've ever tasted too (although I speak from limited experience and if there's anything better, please, please point me in that direction), but for 'normal' drinking, the Lagavulin 16 is my favourite whisky, never mind favourite of the trio under scrutiny
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby Tom » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:08 pm

As for something better, wich is very very relative and subjective because the quality of the '77 is at the top level, try a '74 Ardbeg.
I have had a few whiskies that I personally rated higher then the '77 though not much and they are all rare and/or expencive. If you wish I can look them up later on.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby toshie » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:17 am

Tom: thanks. I'd appreciate your input to my enjoyable learning process
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby Tom » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:23 pm

Allright then,
Here's a few that rated as high and higher then the Ardbeg 1977. Two things though: first is that most of the really expencive ones are only sampled once, meaning that the ratings may differ a few points once they are tasted two or three times. And two, there may be more then these, but I have tasting notes all over the place on both our houses (We are in the middle of moving).

Ardbeg 77 -95-
Ardbeg Lord Of The Isles -95- (will be retasted this month)
Ardbeg 74 For Belgium n°1 -97-
Port Ellen 79 Signatory CS collection -95-
Port Ellen Blackadder Raw Cask Oloroso FF -96-
Glenlivet 1968 Hart Brothers CS Selection -95-
Laphroaig 1988 Signatory Unchill filtered Refill Sherry -95- (doubtfull, this is an old note and my taste is probably more matured now)
Macallan 25 -95-

Thats it. These are all the best whiskies I ever tasted asswell.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby jeffk » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:08 am

I just got a bottle of Ardbeg 10 and Lagavulin 16 last night.

Sampling them both, I think I like the Ardbeg just a bit more - a bit more fuller and complex, but the Lagavulin has a smoothness of it's own. They're both wonderful drams, not sure which I like best, but I think the Ardbeg is just a little bit closer to my heart...
jeffk
Bronze Member

Postby toshie » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:24 am

Tom: Having just put my daughter through university, and now funding her Master's, I can see a loooooong period of only gazing at those examples. Although, if they're on offer by the glass, I could push the boat on now and again
toshie
Bronze Member

ardbeg

Postby barrelproof » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:01 pm

Ardbeg is my favourite distillery of them all.
The ardbeg 1977 vintage is the best whisky i've ever tasted.
I havent never tasted the ardbeg provenance. This bottle is still too expensive. 8)
barrelproof

Postby Tom » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:54 pm

Toshie,

You can relax then, I only bought bottles of the 77 and the LOTI for myself. All the others were sampled at tastings, festivals etc. I know where probably the last bottle of the 74 is and its for sale but I just cant do it. It costs 500 euro (about 20 JWB) and even this is so far the best I ever tasted, its just too much. wich brings us to the comment of barrelproof, I have tasted the Provenance at a festival. It was the Asia version wich is believed to be the best of the three. The price/bottle is outrageous, I payed 25 euro (1JWB) for a 2Cl sample wich is actually very fair. And I was totally unimpressed... For starters this didnt remind me on a typical old Ardbeg with its strong floral nose and flavors, but more on a good old Bowmore. Secondly this is the most overrated Ardbeg ever.
Just to give people some perspective and for those that know they will probably never sample this, dont worry, its good, but not that good.
Funny how this is so highly regarded by most connoisseurs while at the same time it is one of, if not the most expencive bottling Ardbeg has...
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:51 pm

This is a tough one...
I would vote for Lagavulin as more afordable, and for Ardbeg as more exclusive (I mean the 17 Yrs & 1977 - range)...
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby K » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:46 pm

lagavulin 16, closely followed by laphroaig QC. Both have quite different characteristics but if i have to choose I'd take the sweater, warmer and more subtle lagavuling over the peaty bite of Laphroaig QC.
Ardbeg 10yo tastes like dish water to me , get some QC for a couple of extra bucks and never look back.
K

Postby Drrich1965 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:43 pm

K wrote:lagavulin 16, closely followed by laphroaig QC. Both have quite different characteristics but if i have to choose I'd take the sweater, warmer and more subtle lagavuling over the peaty bite of Laphroaig QC.
Ardbeg 10yo tastes like dish water to me , get some QC for a couple of extra bucks and never look back.

Looks like you are drinking from some marvelous sinks.... :wink:
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby DramMeister » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:56 pm

Admiral wrote:I find the only way to make this poll fair is to compare the standard, flagship offerings, i.e.

Ardbeg 10yo
Lagavulin 16yo
Laphroaig 10yo.

Based on those three only, I'd choose Lagavulin anyday.

I'd agree but it costs double the other two.
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby Wave » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:48 am

My first taste into the world of heavily peated Islay's came from a Laphroaig Cadenhead and I've been in love with Laphroaigs ever since.
You can never forget your first love, can you? :D

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:42 am

DramMeister wrote:
Admiral wrote:I find the only way to make this poll fair is to compare the standard, flagship offerings, i.e.

Ardbeg 10yo
Lagavulin 16yo
Laphroaig 10yo.

I would have thought comparing the two tens with Lagavulin 12 would be a closer match.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Wave » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:36 am

DramMeister wrote:

Ardbeg 10yo
Lagavulin 16yo
Laphroaig 10yo.

This isn't about the best priced, it's about your favorite. If Lag 16 is your favorite who cares about it's price?

I would have thought comparing the two tens with Lagavulin 12 would be a closer match.

Matching the Lagavulin 12 CS to the non-cask strengths of Laphroaig & Ardbeg is a bit of an overkill. Now if it had been the original Lagavulin 12 from the 1980's (non-casked strength) I probably would have chosen that even above my beloved Laphroaig! Believe it when I say it was one fine Islay malt!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:14 pm

Whatever the various ages, ABV strength etc I think it's a bit skewed to compare two whiskies to a third that has over 50% more aging.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Frodo » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:21 pm

Agreed!!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:51 pm

I agree with admiral its laga for me. Also when you have done the tour they have really nice big comfy armchairs in the tastings room. So forget all the formulas for watering down and comparison of age. One being older or younger than another or how many ppm's, the comfy chair wins for me. :)
les taylor

Postby andre_s » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:01 pm

Laphroaig has my vote. The Laphroaig 10 was my first single malt, I still love it. Besides that Laphroaig has many standard bottlings which are all great whiskies, the 10 cs, the Quarter cask, the 15 years old. They are all favourites.
andre_s

Postby Ardbeg311 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:57 pm

Despite my forum name, this actually is a tough call for me. I really love most of the Laphroaigs I've tasted (the 30 yo is my favorite whisky). All of the Lagavulin 12 year-olds I have tried have been wonderful. And I have never had a bad Ardbeg. I guess if I had to pick only one it would be Ardbeg.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:34 am

Lawrence wrote:Whatever the various ages, ABV strength etc I think it's a bit skewed to compare two whiskies to a third that has over 50% more aging.

Disagreed--they are the flagship bottlings, regardless of age, price, color, strength, bottle shape. They are what the distillery (or whoever owns it) chooses to represent it as its standard bottle. I find it less skewed to compare on that basis than to compare two standard 10yo's to a relatively unusual cask-strength bottling.

Wave wrote:My first taste into the world of heavily peated Islay's came from a Laphroaig Cadenhead and I've been in love with Laphroaigs ever since.
You can never forget your first love, can you?

No, you can't. Lagavulin was mine. But it comes a poor third on my list, six extra years and gobs of orange coloring and all.
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:06 pm

Yes, me too, ARDBEG is number 1!!!
Di Blasi

Postby maverick » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:19 pm

My picks would be exactly like the poll looks at the moment which is:
1. Ardbeg
2. Laphroaig
3. Lagavulin
maverick

Postby lexvo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:24 pm

1) Lagavulin
2) Ardbeg
3) Laphroaig

But these are very close for me.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Duffer » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:26 pm

My three picks;

None of the mentioned....
I do not drink any of them.... :-(
Duffer

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:34 pm

Based on looking at my single malt shelf and counting how many open bottles I have of each the South Coasters rank as follows:

1. Ardbeg (5: 10yo, Uigeadail, Oogling, Yery Young and Still Young)

2. Laphroaig (3: 10yo, Quarter Cask, 17yo Old Malt Cask)

3. Lagavullin (1: Distiller's Edition Pedro Ximenez)

Can't think of a fairer way to do it...
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby ckennedy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:01 am

question on lagavulin 12 CS! I see people saying 1st, 2nd, and 3nd release, etc..

How can one tell?? Guess I am asking about dates?? but then the bottles don't have them on it do they?? At lease these!
ckennedy

Postby fishboy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:44 pm

At one time or another each of these distilleries has been my favourite. At the moment I'm moving from Ardbeg to Laphroaig (based the acid test of which bottle i reach for most often). The 15 y.o Laphroaig must be, pound for pound, one of the best distillery bottlings on the market.

Fishboy
fishboy
Silver Member

Re: Ardbeg vs Lagavulin vs Laphroaig

Postby clydd » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:56 pm

So i finally went out and got all three of them
Laga 16, Ardbeg (Ultimate) and Laphroaig 10.

My choice:
1) Laga
2) Laphroaig
3)Ardbeg

Granted im a complete newbie,. so take my observations at face value only:

- The Laga is like the refined gand-daddy, I could honestly pick up at least a few different notes when nosing.
Its got a lovely start of peaty smoke (that you can actually feel even a few minutes later if you forcefully breathe out through your nose)

Overall all the aromas and flavor were well balanced.

Laphroaig - this was Butch! I liked it! when it says Peat and smoke - They mean it. yes you eaither love it or hate it... I love it! Nosed the glass as it was emptying out after about an hour.. and thats when I got the iodine aroma.

Ardbeg - Many will hate me for this.. but seriously i did not "get it" with this whisky. I'm saving the bottle to exchange it with someone for any thing non blended.

To me , maybe cause of my newbie status, I could not "find" anything in the whisky. Smells like... medicine.. tastes like medicine. has neither character like the Laphroaig nor finesse like the lagavulin.

I suppose things change if you have the Ardbeg uigeadial?
Maybe, so I will look out for a sampling of that. However The Ardbeg 10 - The ultimate that i tried just did not do anything for me.

On the two occassions I poured a dram. I ended up rinsing the glass before I finished it. Honestly i tried... waited even an hour for something to happen.. 1 drop .. three drops water.. nothing. except the promised 'clouding' as advertised on the bottle.

They actually wrote on the bottle " Ardbeg us considered by Whisky connoisseurs to be not only the best of the Islay malt whiskies but THE BEST WHISKY IN THE WORLD" ..

Who writes this kind of copy?? and that too with italics, Bold and super bold fonts all in one sentence? :?

Well there you have it, a review from a newbie.
Please dont flame me.. im still learning :-)
clydd

Postby lexvo » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:45 pm

clydd,
when I started with whisky I couldn't get the hang of Caol Ila. I just found it too medicinal. But now, a few years later I think my taste has somewhat changed and now I like Caol Ila. So just try again after a while.

Second, there could be quite a difference between the Arbeg 10 OB and Ultimate.

Just keep on trying :)
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Nu2Whisky » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:57 pm

This is most excellent news for me. I did not know that these where the top peaty/smoky (islay) tastes that I've come to like.
Literally back today after buying the Laga 16, asked for the Ardbeg but no stock. Already had bought the Laph QC mistakely thinking it was CS.
Anyway, I will definately get the Ardbeg this week sometime. And I promise it will be my last whisky purchase for some time. Promise wifey :twisted:

When I started this journey just over 2 years back, I bought a Bells. which I had to mix, then a Jameson, which I had to mix, then a JW Gold & a Glenfiddich 12YO which where ok.
Also bought a JW Blue during that time - it was nearly 50% off its regular price range.
Then I got into wanting the whisky to taste "nice" - to me that meant sweetish and tasty.
I then realised this was getting expensive so I bought a Three Ships 5YO local South African whisky. Though I mixed, I had this whisky during a cold winter with snow abound in a mountain chalet around a fire and I enjoyed it. Those friends I told this experience to just shook their heads at me and said this was college cheap a$$ stuff. What snuck in though, that I only realise now - WAS THAT SMOKY EXPERIENCE.
After that I got a GlenMo and HP 12YO and enjoyed them, esp the HP (bought three times since). Got an HP18YO that I just cracked the other night.
Then I got a Laph and Tali 200ml set (10,DE,18) about a month or so ago and that smokyness was experienced again (ok, yes a little taken aback at my first medicinal Laph dram but who wasn't? - i like it now). Then last night, I tasted the Laga 16YO and Ardbeg. Promptly went out to buy them today. Got the Laga, have to wait for the Ardbeg.
Also bought a Caol Ila 12YO. Im sure that will be interesting as well.

And its Winter again - im so excited :iwbrnt: <--- I know the acronym is "it would be rude not to" but everytime I see this my dyslexic self interprets it as " I want, bring it"

But yeah, thats my experience in a nutshell.
Nu2Whisky

Postby lexvo » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:43 am

Buying a Laphroaig QC isn't a mistake :) It is a very fine whisky, I like it even more than the 10Y.
lexvo
Silver Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder