Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The best Glenfiddich

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

What glenfiddich do you prefer?

Special Reserve 12 years
2%
Solera Reserve 15 years
52%
Ancient Reserve 18 years
25%
Gran Reserva 21 years
9%
XXX 30 years
12%

Total votes : 124

Postby heatmiser » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:48 am

Up until a two weeks ago I had only tried the 12 & 18 year Glenfiddich. I did not like the 12 but thought the 18 was very good. I ran across a bottle of their 15 year Solera Reserve at a local liquor store on sale for $29 so I decided to buy one. Whoa! This is really, really good! I went back and bought 6 more bottles at that price. I like it better than the 18 year and has replaced Dalwhinnie 15 as my new favorite scotch whisky...
heatmiser

Postby les taylor » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:01 am

Of the expressions listed the 18 yearold for me. The 12 year old is quite good dry ginger and ice.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby DramMeister » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:40 pm

heatmiser wrote:Up until a two weeks ago I had only tried the 12 & 18 year Glenfiddich. I did not like the 12 but thought the 18 was very good.

Me too.
This week I tried the Solera Reserve 15 and Gran Reserva 21. I think I'd put the 15 top now above the 18, a very nice dram. The Gran Reserva was quite disappointing.
I didn't get round to the Caoran 12. It's always intrigued me, but I have rarely heard anyone say anything good about it. I think I'll look out for it in a bar. I daren't risk a whole bottle.
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:37 am

The Solera Reserve is the only Glenfiddich I've bought a second bottle of since I discovered other malts. I haven't had the pleasure of the 30yo though.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:16 pm

I have only tried the standard nas/12yo and the 30yo.

But it seems I will have to give the 15 yo a try in the near future :D
Jan
Gold Member

Re: The best Glenfiddich

Postby Ian Millar » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:48 pm

I obviously drink a lot of Glenfiddich and my favourite by far is the 15 year old Solera, great depth, lots of flavour and extremely pleasant and also very accessible from a price perspective.
Ian Millar
Glenfiddich - Global Brand Ambassador & Master Distiller

Postby UUNetBill » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:53 pm

I've not had the 30, but I have had the others, and to my surprise, I found the 15 to be the best of the lot. It has more depth and character than the others, IMHO.

:thumbsup:
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby les taylor » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:59 pm

Ian Millar wrote:I obviously drink a lot of Glenfiddich and my favourite by far is the 15 year old Solera, great depth, lots of flavour and extremely pleasant and also very accessible from a price perspective.

Welcome to the forums Ian. We're looking forward to our tastings with you. Thanks to Matt I have all samples ready for the off on saturday. :)
les taylor

Postby Ryguy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:04 pm

Ian Millar wrote:I obviously drink a lot of Glenfiddich and my favourite by far is the 15 year old Solera, great depth, lots of flavour and extremely pleasant and also very accessible from a price perspective.

Ian, I'm really looking foward to having you around for the Tasting on Saturday!! That was great news! I have several samples ready for the tasting, and I can't wait to explore Glenfiddich more. :D :D

Welcome to the Forums!! :thumbsup:
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Re:

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:19 pm

Nice to see so many familiar names from the past
susywong wrote:For me, the Solera wins every time. It is sublime straight from the Solera vat at cask strength.. Yum

I've tried a fair few GFs, 12, 15, 15 cask strength, 18, 21, 30, 40, 50....1971 vintage and a couple more from the cask on various tours.... but would still have to go for the Solera...every time...

Cheers
Susan

I agree, absolutely. The 15 straight from the solera vat is sublime - cool, rich, syruppy, toffee, fruity, chocolatey...

I've had a great many Glenfiddichs of all ages, and the 15 Solera vat is a class act. But there is a great deal of class in most of the 'Fiddichs I've had. The fruitiness - melons and pears - in the 30. The sweet chociolate in the 18. The smoke and grassiness of some of the really old vintages.

Brian Kinsman gave us a great opportunity this year at Spirit of Speyside to taste the raw ingredients of the 15 - that's a 15 from a sherry cask, from a refill cask and from a local wood if I remember correctly. They are decanted into the solera vat - a huge, huge tub, and left to infuse with the rest of the whisky there. The vat is never less than half full, so some of the whisky in there (and I know I have argued against articulating this...) has been in since the beginning. So we tried the ingredients, went off to the solera warehouse (minding the oystercatcher's nest) to take sips from a flask drawn straight from the vat. Then back to the Robbie Dhu centre to try 3 single cask whiskies that were over 30 years old to decide whether they were good enough to be blended into the 30yo. They were all good enough, but it was striking just how different they were.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:23 pm

Nick you've made me want to get a bottle of Solera for Saturday. Nice signature by the way as well.
les taylor

Postby bamber » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:59 pm

I can't help but feel I got it wrong when I said I preferred the 18yo :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:05 pm

I don't think you got it wrong - just a different choice to some others.

I wwonder who might have voted for the 12 yyear old.
Deactivated Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:06 pm

Ok, I've had 'em all plus the newer versions of the 12 and 15 plus the 15 CS.

Favorite by a long ways is the 30 yo and I'm working on picking up a bottle. It's the 15 but much bigger. My second choice isn't on the list: the 15 CS at 51% available at through duty free. The 15 CS is the same basic profile as the 15 (no, mine is not called the Solera anymore) but is much more exuberant because of the extra proof.

My least favorite is the 21 Gran Reserva rum finish followed by the 18 and the 12 Special Reserve and NAS Special Reserve. I find the newer 12 (no longer called Special Reserve) to be delightfully fruity instead of heavily malty.

Anyone tried any of the older limited edition ones? I know of a 33 yo and I think there's a 31 yo. What about the 40 yo?
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:08 pm

Nick Brown wrote:I don't think you got it wrong - just a different choice to some others.

Nnot mee. :P I went 30 yo all the way even at $250 vs $35 (for the 15).
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:09 pm

bamber wrote:I can't help but feel I got it wrong when I said I preferred the 18yo :)

Best is not the best term. :D Remember this is a very subjective subject and mostly we're dealing with opinions.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby bamber » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:13 pm

Nick Brown wrote:I don't think you got it wrong - just a different choice to some others.

They proablyy note that all the expressionss just taste of whiskyy, so went for the cheapest one.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:15 pm

Ganga wrote:Anyone tried any of the older limited edition ones? I know of a 33 yo and I think there's a 31 yo. What about the 40 yo?

I tried a 1966 and 1955 at the 2006 Spirit of Speyside (thanks to Ian Millar). At the time both were unbottled. The 1966 was light gold in colour, and the 1955 was evel lighter. Both were much grassier than the more recent Glenfiddichs and slightly smoky (especially the 1955). You could taste the countryside - hay, silage, etc. They were very interesting, and you had a feel for a distillery that was producing agricultural product rather than refined, consistent fruitiness.

Brian Kinsman gave us three unbottled vintages this year that were over 30 - I think the oldest was 34, but I'd need to check my notes. From memory two of them were sweet and fruity, and one was rather sharp, lemony and varnishy. That was the one I liked the best, but probably the one that least fitted the 30yo profile. Brian made the point that the final product is a blend of all the different flavours, and the trick was to understand what each cask would add to the mix, which ones would fill gaps in the profile, etc.
Deactivated Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:19 pm

Very good reminder Nick. The standard range of products are a produced product by the master blender. My hats off to the nose that made the 30 yo Glenfiddich.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby I_SPEY » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:53 pm

I vote for the Glenfiddich Solera Reserve 15 years . I remember, when I first had a Glenfiddich, a long time ago, I found it a very lovely, easy whisky.
Glenfiddich is just a good distillery :thumbsup:
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby I_SPEY » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:55 pm

Collector57 wrote:I think I'll answer on Sunday :insane:

May I ask why on sunday, Nick?
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby I_SPEY » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:05 pm

Collector57 wrote:Because we have a live tasting on Saturday Rene!

Sorry, Nick, I didn't noticed that. :oops:
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:08 pm

I_SPEY wrote:

I-SPEY, try and join us if you can! More people the better! :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby I_SPEY » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:15 pm

ryguy wrote:
I_SPEY wrote:

I-SPEY, try and join us if you can! More people the better! :D :D

Sorry, Ryan, other obligations :cry:
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby andyt » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:18 pm

I too shall reserve judgement till Sunday, I hope to have samples of the Solera & CS to add to my drams.
andyt
Silver Member

Postby Ryguy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:22 pm

I-SPEY, no problem. There is always next time! :wink:
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:32 pm

No need for me to reserve judgment as I inspected many of these about two-three weeks ago. Quality control for Ryan, ya know. :lol: Also had the thirty about 2 months ago.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ryguy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:34 pm

Ganga, I'm looking foward to the tasting. I haven't even as much as nosed the samples, although I've been very tempted. :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:21 am

My favorite is :
GLENFIDDICH CS 15 yo. Sadly it was drained in 2006 and there's been no replacement on the horizon.
CS 15.JPG

It was my first new years eve bottle in 1998-9 that I started the "new bottle for the New Year" tradition with. Looking for the next bottle developed into the serious collection I now own. Up until then it was just pick out whatever was on the shelf and drink it.

Muskrat Portage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Re:

Postby Knolly » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:04 am

Nick Brown wrote:Nice to see so many familiar names from the past

I agree, absolutely. The 15 straight from the solera vat is sublime - cool, rich, syruppy, toffee, fruity, chocolatey...

I've had a great many Glenfiddichs of all ages, and the 15 Solera vat is a class act. But there is a great deal of class in most of the 'Fiddichs I've had. The fruitiness - melons and pears - in the 30. The sweet chociolate in the 18. The smoke and grassiness of some of the really old vintages.

Brian Kinsman gave us a great opportunity this year at Spirit of Speyside to taste the raw ingredients of the 15 - that's a 15 from a sherry cask, from a refill cask and from a local wood if I remember correctly. They are decanted into the solera vat - a huge, huge tub, and left to infuse with the rest of the whisky there. The vat is never less than half full, so some of the whisky in there (and I know I have argued against articulating this...) has been in since the beginning. So we tried the ingredients, went off to the solera warehouse (minding the oystercatcher's nest) to take sips from a flask drawn straight from the vat. Then back to the Robbie Dhu centre to try 3 single cask whiskies that were over 30 years old to decide whether they were good enough to be blended into the 30yo. They were all good enough, but it was striking just how different they were.

Hey Nick:

Totally cool post and I completely agree with it (like most people here!): of the standard bottlings, the 15YO is definitely the winner for me. And, while I don't agree with everything that Jim Murray writes, I totally agree with his comments about the 15YO in his Whisky bible.

Last fall, I had the very fortunate experience to be invited to a small tasting (about a dozen people) that involved six different 1976 Glenfiddich single cask samples, hosted by none other than Peter Gordon. The tasting was for a cask buy for a liquor and wine store; they had bought two previous casks (a 1974 and a 1975) for each of the two previous years.

The six whiskies were amazingly different; definitely Glenfiddich, but very, very different. A couple of them didn't do much for me at all. Two of them were definitely good and had all of the characteristics of a good aged whisky, but were not exceptional.

The remaining two were really solid though. One was a bit "different' and I don't remember exactly what it tasted like - this was 7 months ago! - but definitely interesting enough to be bottled as a single cask whisky. However, it might be just a bit too "weird" for the average whisky drinker. The other cask - the one that the store picked - was absolutely awesome and I seriously considered buying it, though in the end I bucked up for a different bottle in the same price range that was just a bit more to my liking (a Tullibardine).

Like a lot of people, the first singlemalt that I tried was Special Reserve. I didn't mind it, but it really didn't do much to get me into Whisky (that took Lagavulin 16). I just "assumed' that Glenfiddich equaled mass produced whisky aimed at the lower part of the market. The single cask tasting really changed my opinion of this distillery: and now I recommend the 15YO to a lot of friends. The 15 YO Solera is a bottle that I keep readily in stock: it's highly approachable and a great "starter" whisky for friends new to single malts and yet has enough depth and complexity to satisfy the serious aficionado.

It's an excellent product and an excellent value as well - I hope that Glenfiddich keeps this gem exactly as it is - cheers!
Knolly
Silver Member

Re: Re:

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:16 am

Knolly wrote:It's an excellent product and an excellent value as well - I hope that Glenfiddich keeps this gem exactly as it is - cheers!

Yes - but the cask strength version straight from the vat is even better. It's a genuine world-beater.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:14 am

There are rumours that the bottle your own stuff at the distillery is the uncut Solera.
Deactivated Member

Postby vengey » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:05 am

This forum could become an expensive hobby for me. I didn't vote, purely because I have only tried the 12 YO and the 18 YO. Didn't think much to the 12 YO, still enjoying the 18 YO.

However, I'm starting to think I should buy a 15.
vengey

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:10 pm

That was me just acting the dick and feeling sorry for the 0 votes the 12yo got .... :)

I was not going to vote as I've only had the 12yo but then again if that was the only one I had it has to be my favorite fiddich so far :mrgreen:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby les taylor » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:19 pm

Adrian thats brilliant. I wondered if anyone would own up. In all fairness it's a top selling malt by quantity so someone has to like it.
les taylor

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder