Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Retirement gift...

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

What would a you prefer to get as a gift?

Macallan 30 Year Old 'Fine Oak' Highland Single Malt (I can't get the sherry oak version)
18%
Macallan 18 Year Old Single Malt (Sherry Oak) + Talisker 20 Year Old Natural Cask Strength
82%

Total votes : 11

Retirement gift...

Postby ACSchnitzer » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:28 am

My boss at work (a scotch connoisseur) is going to retire in 2 weeks. I have appreciated his guidance and fair treatment over the years. To show my gratitude, I'd like to give him a bottle or two of fine whisky.

Keep in mind that I'm a total newb. I have spent most of today reading this forum and I'm impressed with the wealth of knowledge. I was intrigued with the Whisky Mag top 90 (taken with a grain of salt of course).

Anyways, what would you rather receive?:

1. Macallan 30 Year Old 'Fine Oak' Highland Single Malt (I can't get the sherry oak version in Canada

2. Macallan 18 Year Old Single Malt (Sherry Oak)

& Talisker 20 Year Old Natural Cask Strength
Last edited by ACSchnitzer on Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ACSchnitzer

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:44 am

I vote the Mac 18 and Talisker 20. What great bookends! Making a gift of these two bottles, one heavily sherried and the other heavily peated, will make a great statement about the duality of man's nature, or some bulls*** like that. :roll: Never mind, they're just great malts, and he will appreciate them both. The Mac FO 30 would be more risky, and putting all your eggs in one basket, as well.
Deactivated Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:55 am

I agree Tattie. AC, I'm assuming you already know your boss likes Macallan because both choices feature it. One thing - the fine oak series is a different animal from the regular Macallan. If your boss is a regular Mac fan, he might look at the Fine Oak askance, especially if he likes sherried malts.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Dazzler » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:22 am

Definately go for ther two bottles. I loved the Mac 30yo fine oak, (best in the range) but offering him two whiskies with different styles would in my book appeal more. Talisker 20yo is a stunner, either the fresh sherry or the refill sherry bottlings, (latter slightly better) and the Mac is also a cracker. I think he gets the best of both worlds here, let us know how they do!!

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby Tom » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:16 pm

I had the incredible pleasure to be offered a chance to taste the FO 30 and have to say its stupendous stuff. Therefore I vote for the FO but only because you are already prepared to pay such an amount on a bottle of whisky. If you are allright with the price then the FO is vastly superior to the Talisker and Mac 18. Mind you this comes from someone that generally dislikes the entire FO range.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:07 pm

I have to give considerable weight to Tom's vote, as he is apparently the only one of us so far who has actually tried the FO 30.
Deactivated Member

Postby ACSchnitzer » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:50 pm

Thanks for responses gents. Majority rules I suppose, so I bought the Talisker 20 and Mac 18. I was forced to make a rush decision. There seems to be a Macallan fan in my area (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) that has drastically diminished the 18 year old inventory. This individual cleared out one store's Macallan 18 inventory with the purchase of 6 bottles yesterday. So, I bought 1 of the last 5 left in Ottawa today.

I would have bought the Macallan 30 if it wasn't the "Fine Oak" version. A luxury whisky that can command a retail price of $899 CDN certainly sparks my curiosity.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

ACSchnitzer

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:54 pm

Well, you could hardly go wrong in either case.

Say hi to the Manx Pub and the Earl of Sussex for me!
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:33 pm

That was quick. I don't know which is the better gift, but I recommend you don't tell you boss that you were going to get the 30 yr old, but then went for the two bottles. The same advise would go if you had bought the Mac 30 and not the other two.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby ACSchnitzer » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:53 pm

Aidan wrote:That was quick. I don't know which is the better gift, but I recommend you don't tell you boss that you were going to get the 30 yr old, but then went for the two bottles. The same advise would go if you had bought the Mac 30 and not the other two.

So you're implying that I should purchase all three and present them as a trio? Or buy the Mac 30 and keep the other two for myself? hahaha

I didn't buy the Mac 30 because I read so many negative posts that stated the introduction of Fine Oak was nothing more than a cost cutting measure. Someone stated that the Fine Oak line should be cheaper (not more expensive) than the Sherry Oak. With the Mac 30...perhaps my boss would think that I didn't give the gift much thought, and simply bought the most expensive whisky in our Ottawa area. I would come off as being more of a showboat than anything else, no?
ACSchnitzer

Postby Nock » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:58 pm

I say you made the right choice

I just tried the Talisker 20yo the other day
and it was one of the best malts I have ever had.
(but then I am a fan of the volcanic Talisker)

I would rather have two bottles
then one any day.

For example I can buy a Highland Park 12yo and an Ardbeg 10yo for the price of a Highland Park 18yo. All are great (and I prefer the HP 18yo to the 12yo) but I like having more options then just one expensive bottle. But that is me. :wink:

Nock
Nock
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:49 am

I wouldn't sweat too much on the decision you made.

Either option is a very generous and considered gift, and I know I would have been stoked to receive either.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby ACSchnitzer » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:33 pm

I paid $189.95 CDN yesterday for the Macallan 18 year old single malt. Today the LCBO in Ontario wants $249.95 CDN. What's up with that? $60 price hike over night.
ACSchnitzer

Postby ACSchnitzer » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:08 pm

I'm thinking about giving my boss the Whisky Magazine top 90 #1,2, & 3 top whiskies. I have found a bottle of Springbank 35 year old Sherry Butt locally. Good idea, bad idea? Comments welcome.
ACSchnitzer

Postby ACSchnitzer » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:11 pm

Nevermind. I just realized that it's not the same whisky.
ACSchnitzer

Postby Badmonkey » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:38 am

$249.95 CDN for the Macallan? Good lord, I am grateful to be in Alberta.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder