Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Help me with a gift for my GrandPa in Christmas

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Best gift

Balblair 38 years
78%
Bruichladdich 37 years
22%

Total votes : 9

Help me with a gift for my GrandPa in Christmas

Postby Lugarteniente » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:37 pm

BALBLAIR 38 years - 280 euros
BRUICHLADDICH LEGACY 37 YEARS - 250 euros
Lugarteniente
Bronze Member

Postby The Dazzler » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:08 pm

Balblair 38yo is an excellent whisky and in my view perfect for Christmas time as it does have a lot sherry influence offering the aromas of christmas cake, winter spice etc what I tend to call a christmas dram. Also for a gift it comes in a great box.

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:38 pm

sorry , will have to be predictable and go for the Islay , the 68 is a quite stunning Laddie (better than the horribly expensive 64 IMHO) , certainly keeps up with the other Legacy bottlings , tho still to try the 72 .
Slainté
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:26 am

I don't mean to question your generosity, but does your grandfather need such an expensive whisky? There are stellar whiskies (probably better than these, although I've not tried the two in question) that are far, far cheaper. If, though, you want a high age to look impressive then there are other options that are also cheaper (e.g. G&M Strathislas).
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:55 pm

I voted the Balblair, as I suspect it's probably a more approachable whisky.

But bear in mind that I haven't tasted either of these bottlings.

However, compare a standard Laddie versus, say, Balblair Elements, and it would be a tough choice.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lugarteniente » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:07 pm

Nick Brown & cia suggest me very old malts (30 or +) cheaper and better than that two.

Thanks
Lugarteniente
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:31 pm

I think you may be confusing two separate quests. Age doesn't guarantee quality. In my experience, some of the best malts are in the 16-24 age range, although some younger and some older whiskies are also very good. Older malts tend to become rather dry, woody and one dimensional.

If you are wedded to the idea of getting something over 30 years old, then Ben Nevis 32yo comes in at around £100 at the Whisky Exchange (I've never tried it, but the 26yos have been exceptional), and Tullibardine 1973 (Tullibardine website) comes in at £90 and got an excellent review in JM's 2006 Whisky Bible.

If you are interested chiefly in age, you can get some Strathisla whiskies bottled by Gordon and Macphail at the Royal Mile Whiskies website - they have a £40yo for under £95 - but again, I have never tried it.

I wonder though. If your grandfather really likes whisky, he would probably appreciate a carefully chosen bottle regardless of age. If he doesn't know much about whisky and you want to impress him with age, then you might as well do it cheaply.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:11 pm

Since there is a bottle hidden somewhere in my house, not to be revealed until my birthday next month, I have to go for the Balblair 38.
Tried it at Whisky live and it blew the socks off just about everything else ('cept maybe the HP30, Glenrothes '72 and special one-off keg of Balvenie 23)
Deactivated Member

Postby Lugarteniente » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:34 pm

I entered in royalmile web and there are some interesting old bottles:

-Glenlivet, Glen Grant, Glenrothes & Strathisla 40 years old by 95-100 euros

-GlenGrant 1955 50 years 165 euros - Glenlivet 1955 46 years 170 euros

Anyone can help me to try a 40 years option? Which must be best Glenlivet 1955 or Glen Grant 1955?

I wish a very old and cheap bottle for the gift. Definitely Balblair 38 is so expensive
Lugarteniente
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder