Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What type of whisky would you carry in your flask?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

What whisky would you carry in your flask?

An Islay
34%
A Highland
8%
A Speyside
5%
I don't carry a flask
18%
Other (please explain)
34%

Total votes : 38

What type of whisky would you carry in your flask?

Postby jeffk » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:49 pm

If you were on a trip or vacation outdoors, what would you most likely be carrying in your flask?
jeffk
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:54 pm

I generally only carry a flask when I'm hiking in Scotland and then I fill it with a whisky from the area. last September (04) I hiked the Great glen so naturally I had Ben Nevis 10 in my flask.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:07 pm

Poor old Lowlands, Islands and rest of the world. Oh well, you might not be in our flasks, but at least you are in my sitting room.
Deactivated Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:35 pm

Bourbon 80% of the time. Whatever appealed to me the rest of the time...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:36 pm

Why would I limit myself, any more than I do at home or in a pub?
Deactivated Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:37 pm

I guess the outdoors requires a stiff drink to "BUCK ME UP".
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby jeffk » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:47 pm

Sorry guys, I didn't put a very good list of choices, did I?

Sorry 'bout that. :( I'll try to do better on the next one :?
jeffk
Bronze Member

Postby bamber » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:23 pm

Bourbon for me. Seems to taste better straight from the flask than Scotch IMO. The nose is just so important with Scotch.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby DaveM » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:10 pm

Buffalo Trace for me. Second choice is Wild Turkey.

And third choice is Ouzo although that's not a whiskey, but a great drink to enjoy in the great outdoors!

I have never had scotch in my flask(s).
DaveM

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:16 am

Whatever I have most off, but not the best stuff. Usually a good blend.

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby karlejnar » Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:17 am

Well it depends on the occasion

When at a walk in the forrest I usually have an Islay - last times Laphroaig Quarter Cask or the CS

Last weekend at a dog show I had Springbank Cuvée - mainly because it is the one been longest open in the collection.

And to enjoy it best I would have a Glencairn glass in my pocket too.
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:18 am

Yes, I will always have a reasonably proper drinking vessel, as well--never drink straight from the flask. I used to have this great little "roadie" glass, not quite two inches high and wide, slightly tulip-shaped. Alas, I broke it. I'm looking at one of these Glenrothes 10cl miniatures and thinking that, sawn in half, they would make good roadies.
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:01 am

Alas, climate differences strike again! :)

Go hiking for a few hours around this big brown country, where temperatures are 35 C (95 F), and I'd rather pull out a refrigerator with a cold beer, rather than a flask of malt. :wink:

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:22 am

Let me know when they invent a refrigerator full of beer that will fit in your hip pocket!
Deactivated Member

Postby Nock » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:03 am

I will chime in with everyone else who has said a "blend" or "what ever I have the most of."

Because usually if you are hiking with other people they will want a swig. And sadly I am never hiking with single malt fans. I am just happy to have them ask for a nip.

A year ago I backpacked through Europe and would just buy a new bottle when my flask ran empty. Mostly I remember having Ballantine's Finest (not that great), Jack Daniels (I am from Tennessee), and Macallan CS (It seemed to last longer and go better with the Havana cigars we enjoyed on the trip).

So ya, Never put an Islay in my flask even though the malts from that island are my current drink of choice. :wink:

Nock
Nock
Bronze Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:03 pm

I don't take a flask out very often...usually just when traveling. When I do, I usually just out in whatever whisky I'm willing to lose through spillage, airport security hassles, etc -- in other words, the cheapest stuff I have.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:17 am

Usually Caol Ila CS or Ardbeg 10 because they are my faves and their colour is such that if poured in a wine glass they can pass as Chardonay at a distance; effective camoflage if sneaking one in at a restaurant. I don't mind sippin straight from the flask either but i would rather use the wine glass.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby MGillespie » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:22 am

Ooooh, good idea! I wonder if that would work on an airplane...probably not, though...close quarters would give the nose away...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:49 am

Despite my affinity to bourbon, my favorite flask whiskey is American straight rye, preferably Bottled In Bond (100 proof, 50% abv). For me, flasks are outdoor apparel, and Rittenhouse or Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye (though 90 proof) are about perfect -- complex warmth with varied flavors.
Deactivated Member

Postby Badmonkey » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:29 am

This one's easy: Wild Turkey Rare Breed or Russell's Reserve. Mid-winter on the Canadian prairies, this is a fine drink chilled or at body temperature.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby ronnie » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:37 pm

Ah, one of the most important equipments, when snowboarding... Helps you to keep warm and helps you out with the extra courage one might need. :D

I've usually had Laphroaig 10, Ardbeg 10 or Black Bottle with me, but some Islay CS would fit the purpose better imo.

-ronnie
ronnie

Postby JWFokker » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:00 am

Talikser, always. I like it best best warm, and I do mean warm. I purchased a small 2oz hip flask a while back that fits in my pocket and it works wonderfully. Despite having such a small opening that somewhat inhibits the nose, warm whisky has such a full flavor it compensates for lack of nose completely. I usually exhale through my nose after swallowing so I can appreciate it fully anyway.
JWFokker

Postby jeffk » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:03 am

JW, I completely agree, there's a special something about warm whisky...for sure :)
jeffk
Bronze Member

What type of whisky would you carry in your flask

Postby Danny » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:55 am

What ever was in the cupboard, and I might even mix a couple if I was that low of stock.
Danny
Bronze Member

Postby Badmonkey » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:26 am

When you guys say "warm", how warm do you mean?

Badmonkey
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby bond » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:53 am

I typically carry beer with me when I am travelling. I simply cannot yet drink whisky during the day.

I hardly am ever on the road post sundown and hence, down my whiskies in a bar or my hotel room.
bond
Gold Member

Postby Ed » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:04 pm

High proof bourbon, usually. Booker's and Wild Turkey Rare Breed are both favorites. I have been known to take three or four flasks of different bourbons along...
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:37 am

Multiflasking!
Deactivated Member

Postby Ed » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:40 pm

Hi TattieHeid,
Good One! :lol:
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby Sándor » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:36 pm

It would depend on what the weather is like and where I am going. Fotr example, I would choose a smoky Islay if the weather is bad and I am heading for a walk on the beach. If, on the other hand, it's a sensual summer evening, I would definitely choose a lighter, fruitier one.

Regards,

Sándor
Sándor

Definately an Islay

Postby davidjberk » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:02 pm

Depending on my mood, I would fill my flask with Caol Ila on a sunny day, Lagavulin on a dark cloudy/rainy day.
davidjberk

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:01 pm

Hmmm...I am reminded of Dorothy Parker's review of an actress: "She ran the gamut of emotions from A to B." Not to disagree with you, David, because your opinion is as good as mine or anyone else's, but most folk would, I think, consider those two pretty similar in character. What makes one a sunny day dram and the other a rainy day one?

(Oh, and welcome aboard, and congratulations on getting yourself challenged in exactly one post! 8) )
Deactivated Member

Postby Ize » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:07 pm

Since the winter is long and cold in Finland, it is definately an Islay that I would put in my flask. On summertime I rather use "other beverages" that are no compatible with flask. :D
Ize
Silver Member

What whisky would you carry in your flask?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:37 am

Last time I went camping, I picked the Macallan 10 yo new oak for the flask. Needless to say it was warmly welcomed by my buddies around the campfire that night. Next time I think it'll be Lagavulin or Laphroaig for the warming qualities and delightful smoky nuances.

In the morning, when camping (I get up pretty early), I build a fire, brew up some coffee and put an ounce of Cointreau in the mug before I top up with coffee. I then sip a bit, top up with coffee and sip again while mellowing out and browsing through my subscription copy of Whisky Magazine. The Cointreau flavour slowly fades as the morning wears on. When the wife wakes up a couple of hours later, I then make breakfast.

And being a Canadian - no, I haven't seen any bears lately when I'm camping, although we get them here in town on a regular basis in the summer. They're worse than mosquitos, as when you swat them, they swat back. I was camping in a Provincial park a few years back when a bear that was in a dumpster was startled by a lady running by, so he ran alongside her for a while before veering into the bush. I'm not sure who was more scared. Her or the black bear.
PS: I just gave a flask away at Christmas to a buddy, topped up with Aberlour A'Bunadh. So that will be what I take in my flask next time.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder