Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How to spend my money

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

How do I spend my money?

Talisker 20yo
10%
Laphroaig 30yo
41%
Macallan 18yo, 1976
10%
Buy more Laphroaig 10yo CS, Highland Park 18yo, Ardbeg 10yo, Laphroaig 15yo, etc.
38%

Total votes : 29

How to spend my money

Postby Nock » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:38 am

So I seem to be faced with a insurmountable dilemma. I can acquire one of the limited Talisker 20yo or a Laphroaig 30 for about the same price.

Looking at the Whisky Exchange web page as a guide, it looks like I am paying just a little more for the Talisker then I would if I could just walk into the Whisky Exchange . . . from Seattle. As it is, I think it is a fair price. However, it looks like I would be making a steal on the Laphroaig 30yo (again using Whisky Exchange as a guide)

Oh, by the way I have had the Talisker 20yo and it is the second best malt I have ever tried next to the Laphroaig 10yo CS. Never had the Laphroaig 30yo

Oh, and I turn 30 next year. My last thought was to buy a Macallan 18yo from 1976 (it would run around the same ball park)

I only have the money for one what would you guys do?
Nock
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:03 pm

Laphroaig 30 is an outstanding whisky - deeply peaty, iodiney, medicinal, salty but with a sweetness too. It is like Laphroaig of old - but better. If you can get a cheap deal on it, and you can afford to spend the money on a bottle of whisky, then go for it. One of my happiest whisky memories was right at the start (c.1992) when I could only afford the standard bottlings, I splashed out on a Highland Park 1964. It was absolutely divine, and that single bottle has stayed in my memory to this day. If you are talking about getting your first really special bottle, I hope you treasure the memory.

Talisker 20 is very good, but I think it lacks distinctiveness (but I have tried only a single dram in a bar).

I don't really know Macallan whisky at all, but I would have thought that buying an old bottling was a false economy - you are paying a collector's premium for the scarcity of a bottle that has remained unopened for 10 years.

All in my humble opinion, you understand...
Deactivated Member

Postby rthomson » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:43 pm

I would go for the last option as they're outstanding whiskies and rank among my favorites. I tend to stay away from spending big $ on a single bottle, it's just not within my financial situation at this time. However, it sounds like you're thinking of buying a bottle to mark a special occasion, your upcoming 30th, and if there's a time to splurge then this might be it.

Let us know what you decide-

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:55 pm

I was torn between the last option and the Laphroaig 30 and made a choice of the Laphroaig 30, you can always buy the other bottles at a later date, I'm presuming this will not be your last whisky purchase ever. I have a special fondness for the Laphroaig 30 and simply think it is exceptional.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby jimidrammer » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:18 pm

Since its your money we're spending I voted Laphroaig 30 also. I passed on a bottle a few months ago and it's been nagging me ever since. If I get back to it I'll probably plunge. The Talisker 20 ($189US) is cheaper than the Laph 30($250) around here. Your last choice is where I was for awhile, should I buy these 4 bottles or just this 1. I've been trying so hard to experience as many malts as possible that I've let myself pass over some great ones for the funds I've spent. Oh well, I'll taper off one of these days and just make special purchases as I have enough daily drams to last for years. :wink:
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:12 am

I think you should buy me a Balvenie 30. I saw it up the street for only $469! :D

Well, if you won't do that, I vote for the Laphroaig 30. My reason is not any experience of mine, but of yours: you name the 10 CS as your all-time favorite. And you've already tried the Talisker. (On the other hand, the Talisker is a known quantity, isn't it?)

I've bought a number of expensive bottles which, in retrospect, didn't pass Frodo Factor (i.e. weren't worth the price), and which I know I will never buy again. The Lagavulin 25 I'm enjoying lately springs to mind. But, as irrational as this may sound, I've never regretted buying any of them. They've all been worthwhile experiences, and once the money is actually gone, I don't give much thought to it.
Deactivated Member

Postby Tom » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:13 pm

Very hard choice, but after considering the excellent comments that have been given here, the Laphroaig 30 would indeed be the best choice IMHO.

You already had the Talisker so that works against that choice, but since you find it your second best dram ever, you can't go wrong there either, so this is deffinatly second choice.

Laphroaig 30 is very very different then the Cask Strength, as this is the only sherry matured laphroaig there is in OB (dont know about the 40 so dont count that one) but as you would expect from a ob 30 year it has supreme balance. And since you turn 30 yourself this is outstanding as a cult bottling for your collection and quality. Personally, I would choose this one immediatly if I was ready to spend that amount of money.

Macallan was worth the thought because it is the same vintage as yourself, so it would also be a cult bottling, but if you can choose between the Laphroaig 30 and Macallan 18 only based on the cult status, the Laphroaigh has its quality working in its favor. and IMHO is much more worth price/quality like.

As for the last option, you will buy these later anyway, This is your 30 birthday, and you are willing to spend some more now, so why not? Now you have the opportunity and reason to go a bit higher in price and I dont think you will regret it if you buy only one top quality cult bottling instead of 4 bottlings you will buy later anyway.

Just my two cents...
Tom
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:04 pm

Tom wrote:As for the last option, you will buy these later anyway, This is your 30 birthday, and you are willing to spend some more now, so why not? Now you have the opportunity and reason to go a bit higher in price and I dont think you will regret it if you buy only one top quality cult bottling instead of 4 bottlings you will buy later anyway.

Just my two cents...

Agreed...while these aren't "commodity" whiskies like Johnnie Walker Black, they will certainly be around for a long time. We don't know how long Laphroaig 30 will be available in its current expression. Buy it now while you can...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:01 am

Sheesh! That was a tough call.

I eventually voted for the Laphroaig 30yo, but the 1976 Mac 18 had me going there for a while.

The Laph 30 is a genuinely superb whisky....it was easily the highlight of the inaugural meeting of the Islay Whisky Society in Australia.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Badmonkey » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:33 am

I don't know what your financial situation is like, but mine is such that I have to get the most bang for the buck when I buy whisky these daysl. The ones you listed in the final option are top-flight drams that you can't go wrong with. Nor are you as likely to explode with rage when one of your beer-swilling buddies helps himself to the cabinet and starts mixing your collection with cola. Perhaps we run in different circles.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:01 am

Badmonkey wrote:Nor are you as likely to explode with rage when one of your beer-swilling buddies helps himself to the cabinet and starts mixing your collection with cola. Perhaps we run in different circles.

The solution to that one is easy: don't keep cola in the house.
Deactivated Member

Postby MacLover » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:21 pm

I guess I will be in the minority.

Both the Talisker and Laphroaig 30 are great in their own respects, but if it were my money to spend (and of course I am a bit biased :lol: ) I would elect for the Macallan 1976 18YO and one bottle included in the last option (I would take the Laphroaig CS).

Not sure what you were looking at paying for the Mac as it should be around $180.

You would definately be paying a collector's premium for the Mac, but in my opinion (and please remember I am no expert), the Mac 18YOs from the 70's are far superior to those of the 80's and a sherry cask lovers dream. Even at $180 I think you would get your money's worth.

My $0.02 worth (and that is probably all it is worth :wink: ).

Regardless any of your options above should result in a pleasurable evening.
MacLover

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:22 pm

Nick Brown wrote:
Badmonkey wrote:Nor are you as likely to explode with rage when one of your beer-swilling buddies helps himself to the cabinet and starts mixing your collection with cola. Perhaps we run in different circles.

Better yet, get new friends.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:25 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Nick Brown wrote:

Better yet, get new friends.

You don't even need to go that far - just get rid of the old ones!
Deactivated Member

Postby cowboyweaver » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:12 am

get some Springbank 21, Highland Park 25 and Ardbeg 25 Lord of the Isles and wave bye, bye to the sissies!
cowboyweaver

Postby barrelproof » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:24 pm

Take the laphroaig 30 years old.
I tasted this outstandig dram at the whiskyship in Zurich. It was a absolutely beautiful dram. The best dram that I drank on this day.
The whisky has been matured in special sherry casks. It doesn't taste like a typical laphroaig. It is a mellower and rounder whisky as you would expect from a typical laphroaig.
barrelproof

Postby Scotchio » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:59 pm

The Saratoga Whisky Exchange has Laphroaig 30 listed at $168.Unfortunately they dont ship to the UK but some of you American lads might want to use them. Send me a bottle if you are feeling generous.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder