Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macallan travel series

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Macallan 20´s, 30´s, 40´s or 50´s?

20´s
No votes
30´s
67%
40´s
33%
50´s
No votes

Total votes : 6

Macallan travel series

Postby Lugarteniente » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:27 pm

I will try one of the macallan travel series. Help me to decide how to start.

20´s, 30´s, 40´s or 50´s

Old are?

Sherriest?
Lugarteniente
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:52 pm

Funny you should ask--I just mentioned them in another thread. I have three of them, unopened. My impression is that they are not highly regarded by most people here. Jackson rates them all in the 90's, but I think he'd rate the sweat off the Macallan stillman's brow 85. Murray has them all over--'50's, 92; '30's, 91; '40's, 81; '20's, 67 (heh heh--the one I don't have). '50's, "massive but voluptuous sherry"; '30's, "cleanest, most mouth-watering sherry you could pray for". For what it's worth.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:12 am

It's been a while but I seemed to recall that the '40's was the one I like best.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:54 am

Of all Macallan's bottlings, these expressions are likely to be the most variable. I say that for no other reason than the fact that Macallan can put anything they want into it.

One year it could be a vatting of 10yo casks, the next year it could be a vatting of 7yo casks along with 12yo casks. Given that the name in no way defines the age or style of the whisky, they can do whatever they want from year to year.

I therefore wouldn't pay much attention to any reviews or tasting notes that are older than 12-18 months.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:20 am

Admiral, I was under the impression that this was a one-off thing. Am I mistaken? (Why am I asking? Your answer is obviously yes.)
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:51 am

Mr T,

I couldn't tell you when they were first launched, although they appear in Michael Jackson's 4th Edition, so they've been around at least since 1999.

They are still available for sale in various outlets, so that's a minimum of six years of continuous sales and marketing.

I think it's fair to assume that they've had to do more than one bottling run in that time! :wink:

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby bamber » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:54 pm

I have had only the 30's at it struck me as a slightly peatier and cleaner version of the standard 10yo OB. Very nice and worth a go IMO.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:51 pm

Admiral wrote:I think it's fair to assume that they've had to do more than one bottling run in that time!

You may well be right, but your inference does not in itself entirely convince me. My mind remains open.
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:25 pm

Well, let's move from inference to assertion! :wink:

Macallan have done more than one bottling run, because the latest releases are in different shaped bottles and with different labels on them, AND they come in different boxes.

People around these parts detect subtle differences in flavours of most standard offerings from year to year. The Macallan Travel series is not immune from such variability, and since practically every other expression from Macallan has changed in recent times, I rest my case, m'lud. :wink: :)

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:38 pm

Okay. Now I believe you!

I'd only seen one edition, and I saw it quite a bit several years ago, and only sporadically since. So I still think what I've seen is a single bottling run. But what you state here convinces me that there has been at least a second run.
Deactivated Member

Postby Sándor » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:56 pm

I did not vote. I own all four bottles and did an in depth tasting but unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed. I found all of them a bit watery. Probably it's time to re-taste them!
Sándor

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder