Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The best 10 years old malt

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Best ten years old

Glenmorangie 10
8%
Macallan 10
2%
Balvenie Founder´s Reserve
No votes
Talisker 10
16%
Ardbeg 10
41%
Laphroaig 10
24%
Glenfarclas 10
No votes
Springbank 10
2%
Other
6%

Total votes : 95

Best ten year old

Postby Danny » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:02 am

I would have to go with the Ardbeg, then theTalisker. but then, I am a Talisker devotee and have a bad experience with Laphroaig. Need to try it again.

When you leave the peat beasts I would fall back to the Glenmorangie.
Danny
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:05 pm

have a bad experience with Laphroaig.

Do tell.......
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby patrick dicaprio » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:12 am

sorry about getting into this one late :oops:

I voted in a very close call, for the Talisker, with Ardbeg and Laphroaig coming close. honsetly for me theer is a big gap between these and the rest of them, but that is just me.

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby Crispy Critter » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:53 am

I put one in for Ardbeg, but I've very much enjoyed the Talisker 10 and Laphroaig 10CS I've had - and Laphroaig Quarter Cask is also a wonderful dram at a younger age.
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

Postby cowboyweaver » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:13 am

The last Talisker 10 was designed by the Communist against the populist party(also known as the capitalist party). Due to greed you will not be able to get any great scotches for a decent price as the British goverment cant keep their hands out of the profits! They are learning so much from the US government. TALISKER 12 was a CLASSIC, second to none or maybe just short of Lagavulin 16! It is no longer available, nor is Cardhu 12(#1 in total metric litres volume) which was the best Highland Scotch, although the critics(politics) tried to rate it as average. This scotch was the template for the development Irish whiskey. Butterscotch candy and the only scotch created by a woman, it is in Micheal Jacksons terms PERIOUSLY DRINKABLE and in my terms unavailble on the market! THIS IS THE HIGHLAND CLASSIC AND UNAVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC DUE TO GREED AND TYPICAL CLASSIC FAGGOTRY ASSOCIATED TO THE HELLBOUND. 8)
cowboyweaver

Postby Frodo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:30 am

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:45 am

cowboyweaver wrote:

"The last Talisker 10 was designed by the Communist against the populist party(also known as the capitalist party). Due to greed you will not be able to get any great scotches for a decent price as the British goverment cant keep their hands out of the profits! They are learning so much from the US government."

IS THIS PERHAPS THE MOST STUPID THING EVER WRITTEN ON THESE PAGES???

___________________-
Anders
Mr Ellen
Silver Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:01 pm

Interesting post...to each his own!

If I remember correctly, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Talisker run out of 12YO stocks because it sold so well (or am I confusing that with Lagavulin 16)?

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:39 pm

No,no Mark , Lagavulin was in short supply due to part of the distillery been turned into a museum which caught fire then the lade run dry putting it out ......*

or was it the economic downturn in the 80's which led to a shorter working week and less production that led to the shortage ....

i always get these two confused !

:twisted: :lol: :wink:

Slainté
Gordon

*courtesy of various Canadian liquor store employees .....honest !
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Best 10 yo

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:51 pm

Okay, popular vote wins, I picked Ardbeg as it was touted as superior at our last tasting. I haven't had the opportunity to try 10 yo Glenfarclas- the closest being the 105 Cask which I really enjoyed, (one of the four samples on my annual New Years eve dramming). I have to concur with Crispy about Laphroiag 1/4 cask, between it and Ardbeg was a close call for me.
The new oak MacAllan was a pleasant dram, but IMHO not in the same class as Ardbeg or Laphroaig. I preferred the older MacAllan offerings (12 yo, 15 yo 1985) but in whisky we must look forward as well as appreciate the past, eh?. Musky P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:11 pm

Spirit of Islay wrote:No,no Mark , Lagavulin was in short supply due to part of the distillery been turned into a museum which caught fire then the lade run dry putting it out ......*

or was it the economic downturn in the 80's which led to a shorter working week and less production that led to the shortage ....

i always get these two confused !

:twisted: :lol: :wink:

Slainté
Gordon

*courtesy of various Canadian liquor store employees .....honest !

Oh yeah...the economic downturn...that was it! (Seriously!)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:20 pm

cowboyweaver wrote:The last Talisker 10 was designed by the Communist against the populist party(also known as the capitalist party). Due to greed you will not be able to get any great scotches for a decent price as the British goverment cant keep their hands out of the profits!

:? What the.............???????????

Another tough poll. Not a bad drop amongst them.
Arbeg or 'morangie .......... then again Froaig or Talisker :? :? :? :?

Sorry - can't be done just now. I'll have to go and sample each :D
Deactivated Member

Postby bernstein » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:54 pm

cowboyweaver wrote:The last Talisker 10 was designed by the Communist against the populist party(also known as the capitalist party).

Come a ti yi yippee, come a ti yi yea... :?: :roll: :?:

On topic:
I think Aberlour 10yo earnes a vote as well.
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby cowboyweaver » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:17 am

there is Ardbeg 10 then there is no other, well Cragganmore, Talisker and Springbank got something going on! :roll:

Longrow 10 may be as good as A10 but why the price tag? Springbank you are original and unique but rapists? Give me a brake $100 for a ten year old? What do you think your making? Opium or Cocaine? You should be ashamed, hope you go belly up.... :oops:
cowboyweaver

Postby Dubois » Thu May 18, 2006 11:20 am

I voted Ardbeg 10.
As a second choice I would vote for...Balvenie Founder's Reserve.
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu May 18, 2006 12:13 pm

Definitely Ardbeg for me too.

WH
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu May 18, 2006 3:55 pm

Ardbeg Ten is the whisky I instantly fell in love with when I smelled it. I was not a whisky drinker or interested one bit prior to that sniff, never was. I tried once but it didn't work. Now I am passionately crazy about whisky! And it's all because of Ardbeg Ten!!!
Di Blasi

Postby Lawrence » Thu May 18, 2006 5:21 pm

Longrow 10 may be as good as A10 but why the price tag? Springbank you are original and unique but rapists? Give me a brake $100 for a ten year old? What do you think your making? Opium or Cocaine? You should be ashamed, hope you go belly up....

Maybe it's just simply economics, if you make whisky in small batches with limited annual output it makes the per unit cost higher. Also, please remember it's the RETAILER who sets the final retail price, not the distillery.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Mr Ellen » Thu May 18, 2006 7:20 pm

I vote for Laphroaig 10y. which I think has most character (by far) of the whole bunch.

Cheers

Postby Di Blasi » Thu May 18, 2006 9:14 pm

I have to agree with the cowboyweaver, Longrow is very expensive! Yes, it's great, the '94 I believe it was, is truly exceptional, with well balanced notes of seashells. But it seems all Springbanks are quite expensive, and good yes, but that good? The nice thing is that they're one of the only distilleries doing everything themselves. But I don't feel it's so worth it, there are many other things I'd rather get at some of the prices they command.
Di Blasi

Postby Jan » Fri May 19, 2006 5:30 am

I simply can't choose here...

Talisker, Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Glenmorangie, Balvenie

All quite good whiskies in their own right - I'm ususally prefer the one I have in my glass...

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri May 19, 2006 5:54 am

I'm a little surprised that only one has voted Springbank - at least based on the popularity - or legendary status of this distillery? Has is to do with price only?

I voted Ardbeg Ten - but since it's my birthday today I'll open my Springbank 100 Proof. It'll be my first Springbank.

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri May 19, 2006 8:29 am

From my experience, Springbank at 10yo is not that special - at 15 or 21 it is a wonderful whisky.
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri May 19, 2006 9:29 am

Happy birthday Mr Fjeld!! The 100 proof Springbank will make for an excellent celebration!
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri May 19, 2006 10:03 am

Mr. Fjeld,
I would be interested to hear your opinion of the Springbank 100 proof.

I tasted it at The Munich Whisky Festival in the Springbank presentation and was not impressed.
It was strong, but just too much so. Without any real character or flavour getting through.
This was then followed by a drop of Springbank's "Living Cask" - a cask at the distillery which they just keep topping up with whatever is available. They raided it and brought some to Munich. Sorry Springbank, but that was a really awful dram!

I have seen tasting notes on here that say the 100 proof is a great dram, but unfortunately, not one for me. It was one of the first drams I tried at the festival and almost put me off the day. But then I was soothed back to my senses with a lot of water followed by an excellent Caol Ila from Hart Bro's.

WH
Deactivated Member

Postby parvus » Fri May 19, 2006 10:07 am

Having not had a chance to try Springbank, I've been wondering lately about getting a bottle, and this talk of 10 / 100 proof being not all that impressive has left me wondering. The 15 is available, but it is quite pricey.

On the subject of the poll, it would also have to be Ardbeg 10 for me. My bottle is looking in rather bad shape, and with the dimple, i'm worried I only have less than 5 left. I guess a restock is in order. I really can't imagine not having access to it, it's such a top, top malt.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Jan » Fri May 19, 2006 10:07 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:I voted Ardbeg Ten - but since it's my birthday today I'll open my Springbank 100 Proof. It'll be my first Springbank.

Happy Birthday Christian !

Hope you'll get an good day and enjoy your dram(s) :D

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Fri May 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:I voted Ardbeg Ten - but since it's my birthday today I'll open my Springbank 100 Proof. It'll be my first Springbank.

Christian

Many happy returns Christian!! And many more to come!!!

Cheers!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri May 19, 2006 2:12 pm

Hey Parvus! There may be good news for you down there since "Ardbeg Ten won top dog" in Australia last year, perhaps you can get some shipped over!
Di Blasi

Postby Lawrence » Fri May 19, 2006 4:38 pm

A day and a post late but belated Happy Birthday Christian, :D

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri May 19, 2006 4:46 pm

Thanks all :D I'll raise my glass to good friends!
And Lawrence, you're not late at all as it's still the 19'th around here. Dramming session starts as soon as dogwalk is over :wink:

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Lawrence » Fri May 19, 2006 5:04 pm

Right! I have become befuddled as to the date, it's just the beginning of the 19th here. Where's Mr. Picky when you need him? Have a great day,

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby MGillespie » Fri May 19, 2006 5:33 pm

Yes...still the 19th, and Happy Birthday, Christian!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby parvus » Sat May 20, 2006 12:27 am

Di Blasi wrote:Hey Parvus! There may be good news for you down there since "Ardbeg Ten won top dog" in Australia last year, perhaps you can get some shipped over!

The Ten is one of the few Ardbeg's that is readily available in NZ, thankfully. Aside from a few young OMC's and some CC's, it's the other stuff that costs me an arm and a leg to import.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat May 20, 2006 2:03 am

Well how about the whiskies of New Zealand? Are they worth a try? Since we're on the subject of 10 year olds, how's the Milford 10yo for example? And the others that don't make it out of the country?
Di Blasi

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder