Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New Whisky Products

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Would you consider buying a bottle of whisky with a twist/hint of lime or orange

Orange
50%
Lime
50%

Total votes : 8

New Whisky Products

Postby Shona » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:47 pm

Hey, I'm a second year University student and as part of my coursework I have to 'invent' a new whisky product.
I have put in my question to consider how likely the product would be to be a sucess and to see which people would prefer.
thank you to all who vote.
Regards,
Shona.
Shona

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:04 pm

I imagine that most posters on this forum would prefer their whisky without adornments, so we may not be the best people to ask.

In terms of designing a new whisky product - it is a bit of a tall order to expect a whole class to come out with different new ideas given that if it were a good idea, someone would probably have thought of it at some point in the last 300 years. I'm not aware of people drinking whisky with bitter lemon, so I doubt that citric additions are likely to be popular. Having said that, some single malts (e.g. Longmorn, Ben Nevis, etc) can have a distinctly orangey flavour.

If I had to design a new whisky product that I wanted to last, I would consider experimenting with different grains.
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:18 pm

Whisky and lime - weren't we 'Brits' famous for drinking that in the 2nd world war - hence the term 'Limey''.

Out for the two I'll pick lime but that poll needs a neither !

I don't mind cocktails:
I like whisky sours - made with bourbon (I prbably drink 5/year) and mint juleps. Generally however, I echo Nicks sentiments, with regards to keeping whisky straight.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:18 pm

no
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:45 pm

Well, there's already Orangerie, isn't there?

Most of us here get a severe case of :roll: when we hear the phrase "new whisky product". In a world full of flavored vodkas and Next Big Things, we like to think of whisky as an island of enduring values in a sea of marketing madness. So Nick is right; we, the self-styled appreciators of single malt whisky, are the wrong people to ask. But we are a small minority of the consumers of whisky in the world. You'd probably do better to do your reseach out amongst the general public, in pubs or off-licenses.

That said, the bulk of what passes for innovation in the whisky industry in recent years has involved maturation and "finishing" in different types of casks (which have previously been used to age rum, wine, etc.). If you're interested in real innovation in whisky, you'll have to learn an awful lot about whisky production first, and be prepared to do years of research that have nothing to do with marketing, which is what I assume you are studying. But if you're just thinking about throwing in a twist at the end (double entendre intended) and selling it to the world as something new, I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree.

Good luck! I studied a little marketing in school, enough to know that I never wanted to be involved in it.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:06 pm

When I, of my own free will and accord, take whisky with a twist of anything in it (save an additional twist of that dram), it's time to call it a day and hang up my snifters for good.

Thanks but no thanks :roll:
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:16 pm

In the U.S., such a whisk(e)y would have to be called 'flavored whiskey', by law. In fact, Phillips Union already markets cherry- and vanilla-flavored whiskeys as such.
Deactivated Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:07 pm

Malt, is Malt, is Malt.

But having said that there is plenty of room for other whisky based drinks, like Compass Box - 'Orangerie', or even the old favourite Drambuie.

But if I had to choose, it would be orange. But I still prefer my malt neat!

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:28 am

As Tattieheid said, check out the whiskies of Compass Box.......but if you really want a product that everybody will buy how about any whisky with much reduced tax?

That'll sell.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby JWFokker » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:12 am

Why would you want to flavor scotch of any sort? I've heard tales of individuals using scotch in cocktails, but the retelling usually incorporates a certain amount of condescension regarding the jerk who would do such a thing. Considering that many single malt scotch drinkers don't even hold blends in high regard, I can hardly imagine that tainting or otherwise meddling with a single malt in such a manner would be a popular decision.

Now, premixed white russians would be a good product. Just add ice.
JWFokker

Postby Admiral » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:17 am

There is no option to vote "No!" :wink:

I, for one, would not be interested in purchasing such a product.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:00 am

So Shona, how's your project going?
Deactivated Member

Postby MacLover » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:10 am

:shock:

No
MacLover

Postby Shona » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:23 am

Project is going fine. I really appreciate all you comments and the information you have provided me with. Thanks
Shona

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:52 am

Find a way to add tetrahydracanibinols to the scotch, for that little extra "lift" :wink: and call it scortch or schooch from Blastnock distilleries. If it tasted half descent it would be hot item. :lol:
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby rthomson » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:15 am

Speaking of innovations, I recently came across an article about "powdered whisky". It was developed at Bochum University a few years ago. Adding water to the powder would return it to an alcoholic drink. Is this just a joke that made the rounds or was a product like this actually developed in a university lab?

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:23 am

Same thing in Alien 4.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Badmonkey » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:00 am

I voted lime, because I would consider doing a whole lot of things once.

Good luck on the research.

Badmonkey

Ps. I can't imagine it being a good idea in the end, much like nights of cheap tequila.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:47 am

Right...it's one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

End

Postby Shona » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:41 pm

Hey thanks again for all your comments, have enough of your comments now.
Thanks again
Shona
Shona

Postby bamber » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:49 pm

rthomson wrote:Speaking of innovations, I recently came across an article about "powdered whisky". It was developed at Bochum University a few years ago. Adding water to the powder would return it to an alcoholic drink. Is this just a joke that made the rounds or was a product like this actually developed in a university lab?

Ron

This strikes me as impossible. I'm not a chemist, but according to my school level knowledge of organic chemistry, dehydrating ethanol, would produce ethene gas.

Instant water - now that's a different story.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby bjorn » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:37 am

Lord_Pfaffin wrote:Find a way to add tetrahydracanibinols to the scotch, for that little extra "lift" :wink: and call it scortch or schooch from Blastnock distilleries. If it tasted half descent it would be hot item. :lol:

correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't they alcohol soluble?
bjorn
Bronze Member

Postby arnehd » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:48 pm

rthomson wrote:Speaking of innovations, I recently came across an article about "powdered whisky". It was developed at Bochum University a few years ago. Adding water to the powder would return it to an alcoholic drink. Is this just a joke that made the rounds or was a product like this actually developed in a university lab?

Ron

I have not heard about whisky powder yet , but you can get wine powder at a campingstore around the corner. The taste, as far as I have heard, doesn't have much in common with wine ( but then again some of the cheap bottles being sold in supermarkets and discounters don't either). But they really managed to put alkohol in there, somehow the sugars in the powder absorb the ethanol . I'm quite shure that if whiskypowder exists anyone who isn't just trying to get drunk fast will leave it untouched , except for a little occasional experimenting.
Still on the bottle, arne
arnehd

Postby bamber » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:05 pm

I cannot see how any powder could absorb more than a relatively small amount of alcohol, before becoming slushy. You would probably need a 10kg bag to store enough alcohol to make a bottle of whisky :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:27 pm

Just did some googling and there used to a product, by Senba, which was called "powdered alcohol". This stuff could get up to 30 % abv, by volume - so you'd need more volume of powder than the size of a bottle of whisky to store enough alcohol for a bottle of whisky. Still quite weirdly impressive though.

Think powdered whiksky is still someway off - I'll have to settle for plain old bottled stuff :D
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:05 am

In the 25th century, replicators will make whisky of sufficient quality to impress Montgomery Scott.
Deactivated Member

Postby arnehd » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:24 pm

bamber wrote:I cannot see how any powder could absorb more than a relatively small amount of alcohol, before becoming slushy. You would probably need a 10kg bag to store enough alcohol to make a bottle of whisky :)

Well even though being a bit of topic here (or not?) the last decription on powdered alcohol was that it actually was a little bit slushy, wet or whatever . But still I prefer it straight from the bottle , after all what would a shelf full of powderpackages look like ?
By the way , to answer the polls question : When it was hotter here I tried the Ardbeg 10 on ice with a twist of lemon ( being inspired by John Glaser, to go new paths) . It was the best cocktail so far , well without the lemon and the ice I would have been quite satisfied also .
SO A Big Cheers TO ALL Out THere ( I just returned from a nice pub and am filled with murphys stout and newcastle brown, the selection on drams is not the best ) , arne
arnehd

Postby bond » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:29 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Good luck! I studied a little marketing in school, enough to know that I never wanted to be involved in it.

I did study a fair bit of marketing and as a practicing marketing professional, I find it strange to encounter a questionairre which does not have an option to reject either option.
bond
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:02 pm

Good luck on your project. If I tasted it and thought it was very nice, I'd buy it, taking the price into consideration.

I really like a hot whiskey, which contains a slice of lemon, cloves and sugar. Drank quite a lot in Ireland during the winter. Maybe you could create a base for this that you just have to add hot water to? Who knows?

Anyway, I think lots of people would try your lemon/orange idea if it was good. Maybe not so many on this board.

Good luck.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder