Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Borderline for pricing

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

At which price would you say "Thank you but bye bye

0 to 40 Euro
20%
40 to 80 Euro
No votes
80 to 120 Euro
53%
120 to 200 Euro
27%

Total votes : 15

Borderline for pricing

Postby Jens » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:15 pm

Being new to the forum, I notice that there are quite a lot of people who trully value good gold liquid. To that point even, that the money having to go over the counter, occasionally might go up to high amounts. Everything comes with a prices, especially quality. I was wondering however where everyone would draw the line for themselves, and hence would prefer to pass the bottle to the next interested one, and maybe lucky one, to get their hold on the bottled spirit? For me personally, crossing 100 Euro's would be by far the maximum; how about you?
Jens

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:30 pm

There's no set answer. It depends on the situation, what the bottle is, how flush I'm feeling, whether I've spent a lot on whisky recently. Generally, I'll spend a lot more when I'm on holiday in Scotland, as I consider it part of the holiday. Probably the most I've spent there is about £120. Here at home, $100 is the psychological barrier, but I've exceeded it for the right bottle in the right circumstance. And normally I won't go as high as $100, anyway. The higher the price, the more I have to think about it, and the more likely I am to pass. But there's no hard limit.
Deactivated Member

Postby Tom » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:07 pm

Precisely as MrT said, Though the highest I gave was 200€, I dont think I can give out more then 250€ for any one bottle.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby toshie » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:52 am

I'm still experimenting, so I can hit the £25-£30 mark quite happily (€37-44 , $43-$51 CND50-60). The most I've spent is £60 on Highland Park 18 - and I consider that worth every penny/cent. The supermarket price war in the UK means I can also spend appreciably less ansd still enjoy a cracking dram.
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby jimidrammer » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:48 pm

This thursday I will be plopping down $189US+tax for a 1990's Highland Park 25 yo. I'll let you know how that feels after it's open. :)

Sometimes $40 is too much and other times $100 seems a bargain. It really is hard to pin it down to a limit, but I will say I know what I won't pay AGAIN for certain bottles. :oops:
jimidrammer
Gold Member

My limits

Postby corbuso » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:04 pm

It is difficult to put a limit, since my favorites malts are getting more and more expensive (e.g., Brora).
I usually put my limit at €140 with some exceptions at €200+.
However, I will not buy a bottle at over €400.
Unfortunately, the price of cask strength single cask is increasing rapidly and hope it will stop soon.
Corbuso
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:12 pm

C I said
Also, when a malt is above a €100 would you enjoy it?

Answer: Yes, but not always, just like every other price point. There have been some €50 whiskies that I have not enjoyed also. Sometimes it's just like that.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:21 am

My enjoyment of a dram is completely divorced from the money spent on it (I think). The decision whether to buy again is another matter, of course. But often the more expensive bottles are one-time-only, anyway.
Deactivated Member

Postby Frodo » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:36 am

Personally, my enjoyment of a dram is always relative to the price I paid for it. I love saying "I only paid C$30 for this - wow"! On the other hand, if I paid $85 and up, I expect a really good dram, and am disapointed if I'm not impressed.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Badmonkey » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:51 am

These days my cut-off point is about $70 CAD. That's a low cut-off point, I admit, but I keep the bar low for two reasons. First, my income is simply a lot lower than it was last year. I have to justify every bottle I buy and maximize value until I build up my savings again.

Second, I have no trouble finding great whisky for much less than $70 in Alberta, such are the virtues of private retail distribution. I have a lifetime left to explore whiskies, so I'm in no great rush to step into the premium malt bracket.

Cheers,

Badmonkey
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Crispy Critter » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:24 am

My absolute limit is $100 US, but even that is rare for me. Typically, I try to keep under $50. Needless to say, on this side of the Atlantic, bourbon is a better value. I haven't had a bourbon over $50, and those have been the likes of Hirsch 16 or the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, any of which are outstanding. As for Scotch, my flirtations with $100 have been Ardbeg 1977 and Glenrothes 1974 - and the Alloa 40yo Hart Bros. bottling would have been there, had I not taken advantage of a storewide discount last summer. All of them have been worth it, but as a treat rather than a daily pour...
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

Postby wilsona » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:32 pm

So far, I haven't spent more than $45 US. As I slowly expand my experience, however, that's sure to change. I don't think I could regularly buy anything over $60 or $70, but could see myself occasionaly spending $150. Any more than that and I think I'd start to be very hesitant to make the purchase. I'd look on, longingly, though!
wilsona

Postby Sándor » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:37 pm

I spent €210,= for a bottle of Bunna Auld Aquaintance. That's a lot of money, but I still consider it money well spent. However, my wife tends to disagree :lol: .
Honestly, before I ever started with tasting malt whisky, I stated that spending the double amount for a whisky could never be justified. Hmmm... I have to rectify this, because I dare say that the taste of some expensive whiskies make more than up their price!

It is really a matter of budget, because I know I will never be able to buy some whiskies which I know were a gift from heaven :wink: !
Sándor

Postby Sándor » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:40 pm

C_I wrote:I just apply a hard limit of €100 (€50 for not CS whiskies), and yes, that excludes some bottles. This then requires some creative purchasing to stay below the €100 (a lot of searching, and if you found something interesting, pick it up).

Also, when a malt is above a €100 would you enjoy it?

Yes, definitely (because I buy a whisky to enjoy it, not as an investment).

Regards,

Sándor Beckers
Sándor

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder