Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What is your favourite whisky type?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Bourbon
8%
Canadian
No votes
Irish
11%
Japanese
1%
Scotch
80%
Tennessee
No votes

Total votes : 106

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:01 am

I like them all but it mostly depends on my mood.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:44 am

Mostly Scotch drinkers here, VG, although there are a few bourbonnières. (Bourbonistas?) And there are the admirable few whose tastes are eclectic. All are welcome, as are you.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:37 am

Well, I have over 100 different bourbons, so I need not pronounce my choice. But I love straight rye (just not enough brands to make it a 'favorite'), and there are a handful of single-malt Scotches that I'm always glad to pour.
The popularity of modern Canadian (there's some good old stuff!) and Jack Daniel's (though Dickel #12 is okay) is beyond me.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:43 am

I would happily drink any of the above. :lol:
Prefer Scotch but any old port in a storm. :wink:
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:48 am

Port is not one of the choices! (Thanks for the straight line.)
Deactivated Member

Postby dmorris » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:27 pm

Like many others I am predominatly a scotch drinker, although I do own a very nice Japanese whisky, and have just bought a friend a buffalo trace bourbon, which is also very very good.
dmorris

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:24 pm

Scotch of course, does anybody else make whisky?

Cheers and Merry Christmas

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby barrelproof » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:26 pm

Where is the rye whiskey ? :)
barrelproof

Postby Aidan » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:01 pm

It would be either Irish or Islay for me. When it comes down to it, though, I think Irish is the most beautiful whisk(e)y of them all.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:05 am

how can you have this poll and not have "all of the above" as a choice??

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby Crispy Critter » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:02 am

Indeed, I have a hard time casting a vote - I've had examples of each (except for Tennessee) that I've loved.

I haven't tried any of the Dickel Tennesee whiskeys, though.

Canadian? I've had no complaints about Forty Creek or Wiser's - but they're the only ones I've tried.

I'd vote for bourbon and Scotch both, if I could - but then I can't forget about straight rye, and the one Japanese single malt I've tried (Yamazaki 12) was also pleasing.
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

Postby Badmonkey » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:45 am

My vote was for scotch, because I have yet to taste anything that moves me like Highland Park 18 or certain Taliskers. My weekly rotation is more heavily weighted towards bourbon right now, with two strong Canadian entries and a touch of Irish as well. With Christmas only three sleeps away, there is still time for me to indulge my HP 25 fantasies.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:45 pm

Badmonkey, I said scotch for the same reason. While I enjoy Irish whiskey, some bourbons and several Canadian whiskies, none are nirvana drams. None even come close to the satisfaction I get from a good bottle of scotch, and none call to me to buy more, and none make me sad when the bottle is finished like scotches do.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:17 pm

hpulley wrote:Badmonkey, I said scotch for the same reason. While I enjoy Irish whiskey, some bourbons and several Canadian whiskies, none are nirvana drams. None even come close to the satisfaction I get from a good bottle of scotch, and none call to me to buy more, and none make me sad when the bottle is finished like scotches do.

Harry

Normally I agree, but lately I've tried a few Bourbons that have knocked some Single Malts from their throne. For example when my Cragganmore 12yo is empty I'll probably not replace it, so I might get another Booker's Bourbon instead for the same price. Some higher end Bourbons just blow away an average malt strictly on cost/value with just as much to offer on the flavor front. I still vote for Single Malt as my favorite whisky type and would even break that down into sub-groups and list Islay, then Speyside, Orkney, and Highland.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Badmonkey » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:53 am

I hear you, jimidrammer, and I would add that part of my affinity for scotch can be explained by familiarity. I haven't had near the exposure to bourbon or Irish whisky that I would like, and it is only a matter of time before I stumble onto something that forces me to rethink my rankings. What I love most of delving into the world of whisky is the near constant element of surprise. Just when you think you are getting a handle of flavours, something jumps up and shakes your palate free from its complacency.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby cowboyweaver » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:23 am

Jameson's pot still Redbreast 12 will almost stop you from drinking Scotch whiskey. It is one of the 5 best whiskeys in the world. Dont expect peated scotch, but you wont have to worry about overly bourbon sweetness. Once you get used to this school of whiskey, it may not get better! Here in Texas where scotch is expensive and few bourbons are not represented, Redbreast is a welcome surprise. I have been drinking it since it arrived about 10 years ago. I knew its legacy and was excited when it hit the selves. You see in the earlier days in america Irish whiskey was the #1 import, scotch only surpassed it in the 1970's(or somewhere around there). The irish whiskey empire almost fell, but they still had the recipes. Today Ireland is reviving their whiskey trade though carefully and Redbreast 12 is a great example of what they can do. Irish Pot Still whiskey is unique, classic and very good. Who better than to market their pot still than Jameson(though the name is not on the bottle anywhere). Irelands Power's Gold Label was originally a pot still whiskey but is a blend now and the #1 selling whiskey in Ireland. If they bring back the original Power's pot still to the market scotch will become a lost art. Only Cardhu, Glenlivet, Balvenie, Cragganmore, Highland Park, Talisker, Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Bowmore, Springbank and a few others would not have to close! The powers that be wont let that happen so you probably will never see Power's Pot Still 15 on the market! But while you can get it REDBREAST 12 IS AWESOME WHISKEY! Connemara 12 is also well worth seeking out, smokey and sweet, as long as it remains a cult favorite the world can still enjoy it!
Remember CARDHU 12 is a goner, this classic was the model for the development of pot still irish whiskey and we cant have it anymore! :mrgreen:
cowboyweaver

Postby Aidan » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:48 pm

Cowboyweaver - Watch out for the new Redbreast 15 unchillfiltered, 46% abv. Everyone is raving about it.
Aidan

Postby cowboyweaver » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:57 am

woody 8)

let me know when Power's releases a Pure Pot Still like the original Gold Label, that will close down the the Scottish Malt Trade, especially since they dont wish to bottle us a Cardhu 12 94 proof.
cowboyweaver

Postby Leonidych » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:28 pm

When I see a zero at the "Japanese", I feel being cheated despite of the fact that I voted for Scotch. They are doing a great job. There may have been a choice of more than one...
Leonidych

Postby Aidan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:36 pm

If you had two malts that were exactly the same, but stuck a scotch label on one and a Japanese label on the other, most would say the prefer the scotch.

I believe there was some kind of blind tasting amongst the experts and they chose a Japanese malt as the best of a very good bunch.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:17 pm

I think it reflects mostly that very few of us have had Japanese whisky. Also--please correct me if I have this wrong--the Japanese set out intentionally to make whisky in the style of Scotch. Even if you thought a particular bottle of Japanese whisky was the best thing you'd ever had, you'd still probably be inclined to say that Scotch is your favorite style.
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:27 am

American, Scotch and Irish, they all have their moments for me. Irish whisky is what excites me at the moment. Jameson Crested 10 and Green Spot next on the list.

Only tried a couple of Canaidian whiskies and did not really rate them, but plan to try some Lot 40 soon, which sounds more to my taste.

Enjoyed every Japanese whisky I've tried (about 8 I think) and would buy much more if it was not so expensive over here.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby mrt » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:47 pm

Bourbon, absolutely. Becouse I like its sweeter taste that's rich in vanilla and caramel. Scotch blends taste somewhat bitter to me. However, I'll continue trying Scotches (blends and malts, both).
mrt

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:10 pm

As my alter ego suggests I polled for the Irish. However in saying I love a fair few Scotches, I like my Bourbon MaKers Mark being my fav at the mo and I even have had a couple of Enjoyable Japanesse bottles. The Japanesse are, as someone said earlier, doing a great job and the American outfit Buffalo Trace are comming out with some crackers.

But Redbreast 15yo is my Idea of Heaven.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Apathy78 » Mon May 22, 2006 10:01 pm

Scotch, in the immortal words of Ron Burgundy, “I love scotch”
Apathy78

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Mon May 22, 2006 10:15 pm

I am surprised that not one person has picked Tennessee whiskey. Jack Daniel's is the most popular whiskey in the world. Someone must be drinking it. I just returned from a trip to London, Paris and Edinburgh and you could find Jack Daniel's in every bar I visited. Now that I have said this I think JD is overrated and I would prefer a dram of Scotch.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue May 23, 2006 2:43 am

I began with Scotch, and have slowly tried to taste whiskies from wherever. The Japanese ones I have tasted have been great, similar to Scotch. The Irish have been light and haven't caught my attention yet. Bourbon and Rye I seem to enjoy as we approach summer and in summertime. But it's Scotch I always seem to land feet first in!
Di Blasi

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu May 25, 2006 3:30 pm

Virginia Gentleman wrote:I am surprised that not one person has picked Tennessee whiskey. Jack Daniel's is the most popular whiskey in the world. Someone must be drinking it. I just returned from a trip to London, Paris and Edinburgh and you could find Jack Daniel's in every bar I visited. Now that I have said this I think JD is overrated and I would prefer a dram of Scotch.

The problem with JD is it is just like a vodka or rum .... in the fact that it is mostly used for mixing. In my entire drinking career and it's been extensive :wink: I have never seen one person buy a neat JD to drink as a premium whisky. I think this question has to be taken from a afficionado's prespective.

JD and choke :lol: is the usual way I've seen it served. I've rarely seen it any other way to be quite honest. This maybe different in the states but in good old Ireland it is and probably always will be a mixing whisky.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Di Blasi » Thu May 25, 2006 6:53 pm

Excellent point there irishwhiskeychaser regarding Jack Daniels not being served neat usually. I'll bet not even down there in Tennessee! If anything they probably serve it over ice, but after a few sips like that I'll bet even the locals give in and splash coke too! I use to drink Lynchburg Lemonades in California on nights out, really good ones hit the spot, tart, fresh, nice. And Jack and Coke was also a classic easy to drink get buzzed quick drink.
Di Blasi

Postby PuckJunkie » Thu May 25, 2006 7:09 pm

Di Blasi wrote:Excellent point there irishwhiskeychaser regarding Jack Daniels not being served neat usually. I'll bet not even down there in Tennessee! If anything they probably serve it over ice, but after a few sips like that I'll bet even the locals give in and splash coke too! I use to drink Lynchburg Lemonades in California on nights out, really good ones hit the spot, tart, fresh, nice. And Jack and Coke was also a classic easy to drink get buzzed quick drink.

A lot of my family and my wife's both drink Jack, and the majority of them drink it with a splash of water on ice. A few with coke, and one just on the rocks. I don't know anyone that takes it neat. I've tried it, and it's not horrible or anything, but I'm not exactly aching to get home and try it again.

Puck
PuckJunkie
Bronze Member

Postby Frodo » Thu May 25, 2006 7:26 pm

A recent development is that Daniels now comes in regular, 12yr old Gentleman Jack, and Single Barrel Jack. Hasn't been that was for long, but perhaps this may change people's perceptions...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby PuckJunkie » Thu May 25, 2006 8:16 pm

Frodo wrote:A recent development is that Daniels now comes in regular, 12yr old Gentleman Jack, and Single Barrel Jack. Hasn't been that was for long, but perhaps this may change people's perceptions...

Hasn't Single Barrel been out for ten years? Or close to it. At least eight. And Gentleman Jack came out when I was in college... maybe 15 years ago? Although I was unaware it was aged 12 years - I was under the impression the only difference between Genlteman Jack and the standard black label was a second charcoal filtering after the aging was complete. Maybe there is a new product that's 12 years old.

I doubt it rehabilitates their image, but then I doubt they want it to. It's a pretty solid seller. I'm sure the other lines are just there to capture any high-end market they can grab without revamping their existing facilities or endagering the image they already have.

Puck
PuckJunkie
Bronze Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Thu May 25, 2006 8:23 pm

PuckJunkie wrote:
Frodo wrote:A recent development is that Daniels now comes in regular, 12yr old Gentleman Jack, and Single Barrel Jack. Hasn't been that was for long, but perhaps this may change people's perceptions...

Hasn't Single Barrel been out for ten years? Or close to it. At least eight. And Gentleman Jack came out when I was in college... maybe 15 years ago? Although I was unaware it was aged 12 years - I was under the impression the only difference between Genlteman Jack and the standard black label was a second charcoal filtering after the aging was complete. Maybe there is a new product that's 12 years old.

I doubt it rehabilitates their image, but then I doubt they want it to. It's a pretty solid seller. I'm sure the other lines are just there to capture any high-end market they can grab without revamping their existing facilities or endagering the image they already have.

Puck

Puck, you are correct. The only real difference between the black label and Gentleman Jack is the extra charcoal mellowing. One for black label and two for GJ. Personally I think the best Tennessee whiskey is George Dickel No. 12.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu May 25, 2006 9:24 pm

Both Jack Daniel's #7 black and Gentleman Jack are 4-6 years old. The single-barrel version is 6-8 years old, always selected from barrels from the warehouses' seventh (top) floor. And, by the way, the only difference between the domestic single-barrel and export Silver Select is the proof -- the latter is 100.
All of the above info is direct from the distillery. They are quite open about answering questions, either in person or via email.
Deactivated Member

Postby bjorn » Mon May 29, 2006 3:24 am

I said scotch, but i love a good irish, bourbon, rye or dickel (usually 12 but 8 is good too). never had a good canadian and never tried japanese whisky (though I'm meaning to on the latter...the Yamazaki is supposed to be quite good isn't it?)

bjorn
bjorn
Bronze Member

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder