Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky flavoured foods

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Should whisky "flavouring" be banned?

Yes
37%
No
63%

Total votes : 30

Whisky flavoured foods

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:26 pm

I have a thing about mass produced whisky flavoured items such as fudge, marmalade, shortbread(!) etc. I think it is a gimmicky and spoils the taste of both the original products and tries to generalise the flavour of whisky.
There is a difference in home made goodies where the decerning cook/chef can match the whisky of choice with foodstuff.
So, I call for a ban on cheap, tacky and tasteless items that claim to contain whisky. Who is with me on this? :wink:
Deactivated Member

Re: Whisky flavoured foods

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:28 pm

Crieftan wrote:So, I call for a ban on cheap, tacky and tasteless items that claim to contain whisky. Who is with me on this? :wink:

I concur Crieftan if someone wants to pick up a whisky flavoured item, make sure it's in a bottle. A well meaning relative has brought me a fruitcake from Halifax laced with Glen Breton. 1) Not my favorite whisky 2) I don't like fruitcake
so we'll toss it to the hounds at the next whisky tasting. :twisted: (ah hah ha ha haa ha). Came in a nice tin 'though. Musky P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:01 pm

Items of food that actually include whisky should be kept, all the other stuff claiming whisky as an ingredient shouldn't in my opinion.

Take the new Pepsi 'cappucino' for example!
Last edited by Scotty Mc on Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:18 pm

What! No whisky and food!!?? Next you'll be convincing people not to add water to their whisky!

The horror! :shock:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:33 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:........if someone wants to pick up a whisky flavoured item, make sure it's in a bottle. A well meaning relative has brought me a fruitcake from Halifax laced with Glen Breton. 1) Not my favorite whisky 2) I don't like fruitcake
so we'll toss it to the hounds at the next whisky tasting. :twisted: (ah hah ha ha haa ha). Came in a nice tin 'though. Musky P.

Here here.... but whiskey in a bottle ... that would be a novel idea.. you could be on to something there :wink:

I love my whiskey and probably drink too much of it so I have no real interest in food that has whiskey laced through it. I get enough out of a bottle as it is
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:11 am

I could not live without my whisky marmalade for breakfast!

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:32 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:A well meaning relative has brought me a fruitcake from Halifax laced with Glen Breton.

Bet it would burn real pretty in the fireplace. Keep a fire extinguisher handy!
Deactivated Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:14 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Muskrat Portage wrote:A well meaning relative has brought me a fruitcake from Halifax laced with Glen Breton.

Bet it would burn real pretty in the fireplace. Keep a fire extinguisher handy!

Bruce: Want me to send you a slice after the tasting to test it's flammable properties? Musky P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:22 am

Every December I buy a some dark rich fruit cakes and pokes about a dozen holes in the top and monthly, for a year, I add single malt, usually Aberlour 10.

Additionally, this year I made up a vatting of various heels that I was not pleased with and fortified the vatting with some Pedro Ximenez sherry.

In the past the resulting fruit cakes have been sensational and every friend Carollyne and I have come over in the follwing December to eat fruit cake and raid any open bottles in my collection.

It's a lot of fun and the cake is really good. I think any decent whisky and a decent fruit cake will work and a lot of my friends, who all hated fruit cake, are now making their own.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby bamber » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:17 am

I've never had a whisky flavoured thing that I really enjoyed, but some Glenfiddich chocolate I had once was eatable.

However, whisky can be good in freshly prepared stuff. Bourbon and chocoalate desserts mmm mm.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:28 am

Sorry for digging up this old thread but yesterday I went hunting for blue stilton cheese and found that my local store had - not only my favourite "Cropwell Bishop Creamery's Blue Stilton" but also something called "Blue Shropshire With Whisky". The back of the jar states it contains whisky. This is a top quality cheese producer so I'm not concerned about that but I was wondering if any of you have tried it and what you think?
Mr Fjeld

Postby hpulley » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:02 pm

I quite enjoy whisky fudge and don't care who knows it. If you don't want yours, send me a PM and I'll give you an address to where it may be sent for disposal ;)

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:20 pm

I've had two whisky-flavored tablets recently. I have to say I didn't really care for either one, and will stick to the straight stuff from now on.

Harry, I'd gladly send you the remnants of my Moine Mhor tablet, but the stuff doesn't travel well. I carried a couple of these in my jacket pocket on the flight home, and I guess my body heat caused them to soften up; they have stayed soft, rather than returning to their proper texture. I hope the ones I mailed to a friend fared better.

I've had a couple of whisky-flavored cheeses, and liked them fine.

Whiskey sauce on steak always seems to mean bourbon, or worse, Jack Daniel's, even in Scotland. Can't anyone do a good malt sauce? In restaurants, especially, this concept suffers from the notion that it's not worth using the "good stuff" for this purpose. GIGO. (Don't mean to imply that bourbon is G--just that, in such cases, it seems the cheapest ingredients possible are used.)
Deactivated Member

Postby Choochoo » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:59 pm

I've not had any whisky flavored foods, but have had Whiskey (bourbon) flavored stuff.

Most chain restaurants here in the states have some sort of "whiskey" BBQ sauce for chicken or beef (often JD brand). I think the stuff is universally awful, but it must work in marketing for the TGIF's, Applebees, ruby tuesdays, Chilli's,... of the world. When I see stuff like this though, I feel it's less an offence to fans of fine bourbon, but more to the BBQ aficionados out there who must really be saddened in seeing these BBQ abominations being pandered out en mass.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:11 pm

Choochoo wrote:I think the stuff is universally awful, but it must work in marketing for the TGIF's, Applebees, ruby tuesdays, Chilli's,... of the world.

Good point (and add Wetherspoon's, UK pub chain, to the list). I'm afraid I spend far too much time in this kind of prefab faux restaurant, thanks to the fact that I so often find myself involuntarily in Strip Mall World.
Deactivated Member

Postby dram_time » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:08 pm

Lawrence wrote:Every December I buy a some dark rich fruit cakes and pokes about a dozen holes in the top and monthly, for a year, I add single malt, usually Aberlour 10.

Additionally, this year I made up a vatting of various heels that I was not pleased with and fortified the vatting with some Pedro Ximenez sherry.

In the past the resulting fruit cakes have been sensational and every friend Carollyne and I have come over in the follwing December to eat fruit cake and raid any open bottles in my collection.

It's a lot of fun and the cake is really good. I think any decent whisky and a decent fruit cake will work and a lot of my friends, who all hated fruit cake, are now making their own.

I think even bad whisky would taste good in a fruit cake, but i bet those baby's burn well after 12 months of soaking up whisky !!

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:16 pm

I don't know DT, we usually just eat them but don't drive afterwards! :D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby dram_time » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:47 pm

I have mixed the fruit cake up with the 'mighty' christmas pudding we have over here, its kind of a steamed fruit cake that gets fed whisky or brandy or sherry for a few months, then, after christmas dinner, you set fire to it with even more spirit !!!. When it goes out, you tuck in !!!

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Thesh » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:44 am

Government aint there to nitpick and control or even worry about meaningless issues like whisky and cooking.

That's what disgruntled mobs are for.
Thesh
Bronze Member

Postby TheLaddie » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:57 am

Thesh wrote:Government aint there to nitpick and control or even worry about meaningless issues like whisky and cooking.

That's what disgruntled mobs are for.

Yeah, governments are there to claim they have a better record on whisky and cooking than the opposition parties. I can just see an angry mob descending on Keith Floyd's (notoriously boozy English chef) restaurant to destroy his recipe for whisky soaked clams... :shock:

Speaking of Keith Floyd my missus was shocked to see him make a guest appearance on a children's show she was watching with our 3yo expression until I explained it was filmed just down the road from a distillery. :)
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:02 am

I have finally tried "Blue Shropshire With Whisky" from Cropwell Bishop Creamery. It is the strangest cheese I've ever tasted and I cannot help but think both the whisky and the chease would be better off enjoyed separately? I'm very much a cheese lover but this one is a strange beast and I cannot decide if I like or dislike it? I'll try again later.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:29 pm

Absolutely not. There are many foods where whiskey can compliment the dish. One thing that comes to mind is the Jameson whiskey steak I get at my local steak house.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:46 pm

just think, all the foods you dont really like, with just a bit of added extra, can taste great :P when they going to start doing whisky flav vegtables....
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:57 am

Whisky flavouring should be banned by law. However real whisky if fresh ingredients cooked fresh can be fantastic. Its the syntheticaly produced flavourings that are just too disgusting. Just like cheap Cola lollies when you're young. Yuuuukkkkkkkkkkkk.

Good products sympatheticaly used always work together in my opinion.

:)
les taylor

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:54 pm

les taylor wrote:Whisky flavouring should be banned by law. However real whisky if fresh ingredients cooked fresh can be fantastic. Its the syntheticaly produced flavourings that are just too disgusting. Just like cheap Cola lollies when you're young. Yuuuukkkkkkkkkkkk.

Good products sympatheticaly used always work together in my opinion.

:)

I agree with you but the "Blue Shropshire With Whisky" from Cropwell Bishop Creamery went straight into the bin last night. Bloody awful it is - and this isn't a producer cutting a few corners, but the most renowned Stilton producer. 10 percent of the jar's contents was whisky of some sort - not a flavouring agent with "whisky qualities" .
Mr Fjeld

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder