Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Which unspecified (& blended/vatted) Islay are the best

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which of these unspecified, peaty whiskies are a good buy?

Finlaggan
15%
Smoking Islay
15%
Big Smoke 40%/60%
No votes
Auld Reekie
8%
Dun Bheagan Regional Islay
15%
Signatory Vintage Islay
No votes
Macleod's Islay Malt
No votes
Smokehead Single Malt
15%
The Ileach
No votes
As We Get It Islay
No votes
Compass Box Peat Monster
8%
Islay Mist
No votes
JMR Smokey, Peaty One
No votes
Black Bottle
23%

Total votes : 13

Which unspecified (& blended/vatted) Islay are the best

Postby Jan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:20 am

Hi All

Yeah, yeah, I know – another Islay poll…

But actually I don’t think we have covered this subject in an organized manner and as I have only myself tried a couple of the regional, unspecified Islays, I’m curious: Which ones of the above is a good buy – and why?

Thank you for your input.

I have myself tried the Mcleod’s & Dun Bheagan, both of which I liked and found to be excellent value for the price.

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Badmonkey » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:28 am

Hi Jan,

Of the ones on your list I have only tried the Compass Box Peat Monster. I enjoyed it very much and will soon add it to my collection as the sole vatted malt in the rotation. It has a great logo, too.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:51 am

Voting for the best (subjective) vs best value are two different questions. The title on the thread said "best" whereas the title on the poll said "best value"

Of the choices given, if someone let me have a free bottle, I'd go for the Auld Reekie followed by the Peat Monster. If I'm using my own money to buy a bottle, out of the choices I've been given, I voted for Dun Bheagan 8yr Islay followed closely by Black Bottle (10yr). Different prices for this last one in different markets. I would also add that if I was buying a bottle of Islay whisky on a budget, I'd probably go for the DTC regional Islay @ $52 cdn/bottle. A bit more expensive than the other I chose (can't get Black Bottle over here) but better balanced for my palate.

I should also say I like 6 Isles for a change of pace at $42. Wouldn't be the first thing I'd think of, but if I wanted a bargain whisky that's subtle, and has coastal flavours, I could go worse than this (at the LCBO, HP 12 is $50-52, $10 more than this. Is is worth it - debatable IMHO).

OK Nick. You're up! :lol:
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:57 am

Curious about how Finlaggen is regarded. We have a limited shipment at the LCBO. Haven't gone for it yet as I have too many bottles in my closet.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:24 am

Finlaggan $50/bottle by Vintage Malt Whisky Co. @ 40%abv is much like the Dun Bheagan 8yo Islay but lacks the deapth and character of the DB's 43% bottling here and the DB is $7 less.
The last bottle of Aul Reekie was a rip-off as it was a much lesser quality than the OB and $15 more :evil:
The Signatory Islay is quite wonderful and would be absolutely stunning if they hadn't watered the crap out of it to server it up at only 40%abv. at $50/bottle it is priced about right. A better deal than the DT regional Islay at $50/bottle
The Compass Box Peat-monster dreadfully overpriced @ $70. Not likely that i will ever pay the price again it didn't have the bang for the buck of similarly styled SM's. Big E for Effort though. :lol:
JMR's Smokey Peaty One at $40 and 40%abv. a good deal, yet the whisky lacks the oomph of SM.
The Macleods is a little too rough around the edges for me thanks and i'm guessing tahts why the low price.
I can't comment on the others as they aren't available here and i have never tried them.
The best valued SM IMHO, is the Dun Bhaegan 8yo Islay.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby bamber » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:08 pm

Out of that list I could not really recommend the 2 I've tried: JMR Smokey, Peaty One and Black Bottle as I did not really rate either that highly.

The now almost defunct Safeway's Islay was excellent as is Sainsbury's current offering.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:09 am

For best value I'd have to say Black Bottle. I bought some last year at £9.99 (GBP), I don't think I could have found better value than that. It also helps that it is a fantastic dram!

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Go SMOKEHEAD!

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:18 pm

I've been lucky to taste Smokehead on 3 different occasions, with the first 2 being "blind" and not knowing what I tasted til months later. I fell in love with it the 3rd time! It's big smoke nose bursts into fresh fruit on the palate! It's truly a great new single Islay malt that I would reccomend getting at least 1 bottle of now, and keeping it stocked! The presentation of it is stepping away from traditional, probably hoping to attract new drinkers. But if you taste it blind, it's a classic!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:50 pm

Of the ones I have tasted it would have to be Smokehead Single Malt. It has a fantastic nose and a big dose of peat and burnt notes, yet full of fruity flavours. The Ileach would be my second choice, another one of those peaty, big flavoured whiskies followed by MacLeod's Islay (Lagavulin) on third place.

Cheers

Postby Scotchio » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:46 pm

My local offie does Tanner's Peaty Creag. An 8 yr old blend about which Murray raved. I haven't got round to trying it yet and I don't think it's widely available. If any members are desperate to try some contact me and I will look into the costs. Alternatively if any of our Canadian brethren want to swap a bottle for some Alberta Premium I'd be interested in doing a swap.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby The Dazzler » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:57 pm

You can't beat Black Bottle for value. Black Bottle 10yo and the Islay Mist (17yo in particular) are also good blends. The Peat Monster is one I have always been a fan of but a lot more subtle and sweeter. Macleods Islay, Auld Reekie and Big Smoke are others well worth a pop. Smokehead has a huge blast of smoke and peat but seems to deteriorate in the glass and gets a lot lighter and sweeter.

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby Nock » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:30 pm

Well, I guess it depends on where you are buying
but I picked up my bottle of Finlaggan Old Reserve for $17 at a Trader Joe's.

Sure it is not as complex as Lagavulin or Ardbeg
but for $17 it is my pick for best value and best bottle.
I like it better then Laphroaig 10yo :oops:

Ya, I still have two fingers left in my bottle . . . might have to hit that tonight . . .

Nock
Nock
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder