Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Which one among these 4 blends?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which one among these four?

Johnnie Walker Red Label
12%
Ballantine's Finest
24%
J&B Rare
10%
Famous Grouse
54%

Total votes : 41

Which one among these 4 blends?

Postby mrt » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:21 pm

If you had only these four blends to choose from, which one would you choose?

Please state your reasons, evaluations and alternative options, too.
mrt

Postby Choochoo » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:40 pm

I go with the Grouse, it’s the one I’ve had the most of & I’ve become acclimated to it. J&B would be second choice.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:46 pm

Ballantines, I like it but really like the 17 but I know the poll is not refering the 17.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Paul A Jellis » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:12 am

I'll vote for Ballantines, a very good whisky and a friend of mine used to work for them, so every bottle I buy helps his pension!

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:52 am

None! I would probably drink beer instead - or Powers!

Lawrence did say JWR tastes OK when in a big sifter with some water added. Might like to try that sometime.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:34 am

For me it's very close between Ballantine's and Grouse.

Grouse just edged it.
Deactivated Member

Postby Badmonkey » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:42 am

I cast my vote for Ballantine's by a nose over the Famous Grouse. Both are a tasty way to spend an evening when you are low on guilders.
Last edited by Badmonkey on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:43 pm

I tried a bottle of Famous Grouse as that was my father's drink. I honestly couldn't finish the bottle, giving it to my step-father after it was 1/3 down. Ballantines I've only had one shot in a bar, and was underwelmed. Not a proper tasting. Had Ballantine's 12yr old though - not bad! Flavours not too focused and kind of "fuzzy", probably aoppropriatly priced at $36 cdn, a deal when I got mine at $28.

J&B I've had a couple of tries, and can't get into it. Dunno why, just can't. JWR is the one of the four that I came closest to liking. Lots of flavours, just too...rough.

I could see why someone would go for FG though. Just not me.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Famous Grouse

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:27 pm

MRT:
I t was the first blend I had when I landed in Scotland as a newlywed, neat with a "mithers tear" of water. So there is a endearing quality which transcends whether it is a quality dram or not, Grouse carries fond memories. I prefer Te Bheag as a blend. Musky P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:31 pm

My preference in the poll is for Grouse but I'd actually drink Bailie Nicol Jarvie first closely followed by Dewars extra special 12yo
Deactivated Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:44 pm

You mean I've only had the special 12yr?

I feel ripped off! :evil: :evil:
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:54 pm

Frodo wrote:You mean I've only had the special 12yr?

:oops: Special Reserve is what I should have said. Sorry to get your blood up Frodo. :)
I bought it at Aberfeldy and was really surprised tghat it tasted more like a SMW than the Aberfeldy 12 did! :?
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:55 pm

Frodo wrote:You mean I've only had the special 12yr?

:oops: Special Reserve is what I should have said. Sorry to get your blood up Frodo. :)
I bought it at Aberfeldy and was really surprised that it tasted more like a SMW than the Aberfeldy 12 did! :?
Deactivated Member

Computer hiccoughs

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:00 pm

Crieftan wrote:
Frodo wrote:You mean I've only had the special 12yr?I feel ripped off! :evil: :evil:

:oops: Special Reserve is what I should have said. Sorry to get your blood up Frodo. :) I bought it at Aberfeldy and was really surprised that it tasted more like a SMW than the Aberfeldy 12 did! :?

Creiftan: You're hicc - upping again. Fed the laptop some SM by mistake? :twisted: M.P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:54 pm

Frodo wrote:Lawrence did say JWR tastes OK when in a big sifter with some water added.

Sure...if you add enough water, it probably tastes a lot like water!

I've never had Ballantine's. I'll vote for Grouse, which I found drinkable. But I'll agree with Frodo--if this is my choice, I'll stick to beer.
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:59 am

I would rank these:

JWR
J&B Rare
=Ballantines and Famous Grouse.

They're all ok, but none particulalry good IMO.

Grant's Ale Cask is my personal favourite cheap Scottish blend.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:12 pm

bamber wrote:Grant's Ale Cask is my personal favourite cheap Scottish blend.

Yeah I have tried that one, and was mildly impressed. Not sure how much more it costs over the regular Grant's, but drinkable IMHO.

As a brief aside, I think finishing is a good (inexpensive) way to make bar blends paletable. If about 2-3 GBP more than the regular stuff, it's a good deal!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Re: Computer hiccoughs

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:18 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:Creiftan: You're hicc - upping again. Fed the laptop some SM by mistake? :twisted: M.P.

Nah - just got the shakes :lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby rifkin » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:54 pm

I'd go with Ballentines before Grouse because of one crucial element: Grouse tastes more booze.
rifkin

No Teachers?

Postby rymon » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:30 am

I'm really surprised upon reading this thread that noone has mentioned Teacher's Highland Cream... I was put onto it by a high rating in Jim Murray's Whisky Bible. I figured I'd try it out and see what the hype was about, and low and behold... I loved it! "Cream" is right... its like drinking whipping cream.

I don't see how Ballantine's (except for one of the higher end, maybe 12yo blend, that I tried once and really liked) or J&B could stand up to it.

Funny thing is, only a couple of months after I was onto Teacher's, and part way into my second 26er, I was out one evening at a get-together, with a friend who is in my whisky tasting group, and I brought a bottle of Teacher's. We were talking about our upcoming meet and which single malts we hoped we'd be tasting and he pointed over at the table where I'd set my bottle of Teacher's. He said: "Have you tried that stuff? I just bought a bottle of it this week and it's excellent!" He was really excited...

Anyhow, give it a try, if you haven't already.
rymon

Postby Nock » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:34 pm

After having experimented with a few blends (all four mentioned plus Teacher’s, Grant's, Chivas Regal, Dewar’s and White Horse) I have concluded that blends are not for me. I strongly dislike the taste of grain in the blend. Give me malt barley or give me . . . something else . . .

if I had to choose one of these four it would be the Grouse every time.
(I would reject the Ballantine’s every time)

If faced with a choice between all 9 it would be either Grouse or Teacher’s (depending on if I felt like the hint of Macallan’s that goes into the Famous Grouse).

Nock
Nock
Bronze Member

Re: No Teachers?

Postby bamber » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:54 am

rymon wrote:I'm really surprised upon reading this thread that noone has mentioned Teacher's Highland Cream...

I've tried to like it - I really have and have battled through more than 2 bottles of it to 'get it'.

Well I don't like it much. Sure I can drink it, it's whisky, but to me it is just another middle of the road blend and I actually would rather drink the 4 listed than Teacher's.

Whilst I respect JM's (and your) opinion of it, it is IMO an overrated whisky !
bamber
Double Gold Member

Re: Which one among these 4 blends?

Postby patrick dicaprio » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:21 pm

mrt wrote:If you had only these four blends to choose from, which one would you choose?

Please state your reasons, evaluations and alternative options, too.

i go with JWR with the grouse a close second. i hate to admit it but on occasion i want to just have a drink with a few ice cubes and not worry about appreciation!!! on these occasions i woudl choose JWR.

but what about Teachers if you can find it?? that would be my first choice.

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Blends

Postby philbert » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:51 am

It's rare I'll risk a dollar on a blend. Teacher's Highland Cream was a disappointment.

Word of warning -- be careful about sampling a budget blended after a good single malt -- I got it the wrong way round with Teachers and it tasted like fish oil in comparison. I was glad to see the end of that bottle.

That said, to have a budget friendly blended on hand I'd go with Dewars 12, it seems to have the least grain alc. flavor.
philbert

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:33 am

Fish oil! Yum! What species?
Deactivated Member

Postby philbert » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:13 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Fish oil! Yum! What species?

Not sure it would be a reliable source of quality Omega 3 fatty acids though. And the taste of week-old pressed mackerel or mossbunker . . .
philbert

Postby bamyili » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:24 am

I haven't tried the other blends, but my sentimental favorite is JWR. The first time I tried it was last year when I came into possession of a small bottle from the 1960's. It immediately hit you with a classic, strong Islay flavour. Today's bottlings, however, pale in comparison but I still like it occasionally when I run out of good Islay single malts. I even prefer it to Black label due to the slightly stronger smokiness.
bamyili

Postby MacLover » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:02 am

Not really fond of any of these but if I had to choose my vote is for Ballantines, then FG.
MacLover

Postby FlaMike » Sun May 07, 2006 9:55 am

I'd have to go with Ballantine's. Smooth but lacks the character of a malt. I agree with Rymon; Teacher's is a blend I really enjoy. Also tried it based upon Jim Murray's recommendation. That said, I rely on Ballantine's for my "everyday" scotch. Especially when funds are low and I cannot afford the SMS of my choice. Usually Laphroaig 10yo CS.

-Mike
FlaMike

Postby Di Blasi » Sun May 07, 2006 11:58 am

I really like the John Player Special! I haven't tasted the 12y but this standard is excellent! It can be sipped, and it's richness may even remind you of a single malt, or even over ice, (sorry!), it keeps that richness and doesn't dilute and become watery.
I'm looking forward to tasting the Blue Hanger 25y, a friend is bringing me a bottle tonight. Anyone familiar with it?? It's the bottle the magazine gifts you when you're letter gets printed. The high rating and description from Jim Murray makes me curious. As does the "Winning Letter" description in the magazine.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Sun May 07, 2006 12:01 pm

My first choice is Ballantine's Finest,my second choice would be J&B Rare.
Dubois

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sun May 07, 2006 2:02 pm

I'd have to say none and vote for Teaches... This is an amazing blend for me top quality stuff.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 08, 2006 2:02 am

Di Blasi wrote:I'm looking forward to tasting the Blue Hanger 25y, a friend is bringing me a bottle tonight. Anyone familiar with it??

Perhaps Diz will be so kind as to let us know when (and if) he gets his!
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon May 08, 2006 3:24 am

Ummmm...what are you talking about, T? I've never even seen a bottle of Blue Hanger...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 08, 2006 3:34 am

Are you unaware that you have one due you?
Deactivated Member

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder