Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What do you think of Macallan ?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Overall your feeling on the Macallan ?

Great whisky that deserves its special status.
31%
Just another distillery. Good but not great.
60%
Below average malt hidden by good sherry.
7%
Poor whisky not worth trying.
1%

Total votes : 67

What do you think of Macallan ?

Postby bamber » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:43 pm

The Macallan was one of the first whiskies I got into. After trying Talisker, Lagavulin and the usual suapects in the supermarket, I picked up a bottle of Macallan 10 as I liked the look of the bottle.

I bought this without prejudice as I had read nothing about it and had never even heard of it :oops:

Well, I loved the stuff and after picking up MJ's book, was very keen to buy the 18yo or even the 25yo or 30yo. Seeing the the 1930's TE was cheap and rated similarly I got that first instead. Hmm I'm not sure I don't prefer the normal 10yo. Maybe the ratings for the other Macs are out of line, (compared to my palate) too ? I thought.

Seems to me Macallan appreciation is steeped in politics. I wondered what people think of the stuff ?
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:54 pm

I have never liked it. Just a personal thing. I think it's too grassy.

I put it in the same bracket as Glenmorangie 10...
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:21 pm

The 10yo mac was also one of the first malts that really took my interest and exposed me to the fact that SMW don't taste the same!
I still have a soft spot for it but it doesn't measure up to some of the whiskies I have in my cupboard - including Glenmorangie 10 which still keeps surprising me. A good session dram with friends though. It's likely to appeal to those whose first choice would not normally be whisky of any sort.
Deactivated Member

Postby Choochoo » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:29 pm

I like the cask strength quite a bit, very good kick to it, full of flavor & notes of pickling spices. Other expressions I’ve found to be somewhat unmemorable, not necessarily bad, but nothing to make me go out and pay the higher price for a bottle.

Here in New England there is a stigma with Macallan associating it with upper crust Wall Street types, or Ivy league, country club snobs. This stereotype is only somewhat accurate, but I don’t feel that it really affects my opinion when I’m drinking it.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby rifkin » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:37 pm

For my own part, Macallan was one of the first SMW I tasted, and I must say it hit me like a hurricane.

Before I had only tried blends like The Famous Grouse, Johnny Walker,Upper Ten, Scottish Pride (typical local "in-house" Norwegian whiskybotts), and so forth.

The Macallan I tried (I do believe it was an old 10 yr. bott) was oh so more polished and lubricated with an explosion of flavours which never before had danced on my tounge. :)

With that being said, as of today I haven't tried these "hall of fame" Macallans (18, 25, 30 as well as CS'), as I generally prefer Islay/Islands.
rifkin

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:07 pm

Macallan is a perfectly good distillery that makes some excellent malts, some very good malts, and some so-so malts. I think they are terribly overrated, in the sense that the people who like their stuff the most tend to exalt them all out of proportion. The stereotype Choochoo mentions is part of that--there is a significant number of people who have bought the hype and regard Macallan as the luxury malt. In many cases, I am sure it is a matter of honest opinion, but in many others, I have the impression that it is an uninformed and irrational one.

A Timex shows the same time as a Rolex. (Whatever that means.... :? )
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:26 pm

I'm not fond of Macallan but all things considered it must be a good whisky. Welcome to the forum rifkin :D - and I also disagree with your signature - apart from the spirit category that is. I belive you can replace most of those countries with Italy - and France as a good second.

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby DramMeister » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:14 pm

I used to love mac 10 but recently I haven't really enjoyed it. The 12 is a bit too sherried for my taste and I currently have a bottle of Fine Oak 10. This bottle had an iffy nose but improved after it had been open for a while. I still don't think it's great.
I don't have deep enough pockets for the older bottlings, so as far as I'm concerned .. it is an overrated distillery
:?
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:19 pm

I really enjoy the Fine Oak 15.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:19 am

Good but not great. I can never understand the high regard that a lot of people hold Macallan in. To me it's Ok, but nothing outstanding.

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

What do you think of Macallan.

Postby Danny » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:37 am

I rather like Macallan, however I have certainly had Macallans that were not as good as others. That said I also rather like Talisker, Highland Park, Caol Ila, Ardbeg and Scapa about as good as Macallan.

Is it over hyped, I don't know, it is certainly higher priced than any of the others, but I guess there are enough folks out there buying it that it continues to demand that price.

It appears to remain among the top ranked whiskies in all the "experts' rankings and that says to me that it isn't a dog. Top of the list in the recently WM top 90 single malts.

In the little group that I belong to there is a distinct line about whisky, I drink any style, 2 fellows prefer the Macallan styles, 1 fellow the Islay styles and the 5th some where in between, so I guess it all comes down to personal preference.
Danny
Bronze Member

Re: What do you think of Macallan.

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:30 am

Danny wrote:In the little group that I belong to there is a distinct line about whisky, I drink any style, 2 fellows prefer the Macallan styles, 1 fellow the Islay styles and the 5th some where in between, so I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

(Danny, the more I interact with you and read your posts, the more I like you. I too will drink any style and appreciate them for their individuality. . . when are you coming East?)
Yes, I do like the Macallan, however I prefer the older bottlings over the "New Oak" offerings. Regretfully, my old ones are empty. :cry: Musky P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:10 am

I don't know that it's a great whisky (I voted for great, and while it may not be that, it's defintely more than "just another distillery."). After a few more tries of the 1987, I find it very appealing. It hits the right spot most times. However, the 1985 Mac 18 is even better and worth every bit of what people are charging for it these days...

I will also say that the prices for the current releases are a bit steep for what they deliver. I've had people say that it was just a few years ago that the 18 went for half of what it does now; if I bought it back in the "good ol' days" I would be going through major sticker shock right now.

So I've been finding the threads on lower cost alternatives to Macallan very helpful!

Here's to finding the next Macallan 18 substitute!! :D
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:49 am

Distilleries, like many other creatures, have their good times and their not so good times and the Macallan is coming out of the latter IMHO. Years ago when sherry casks were plentiful and of good quaility they made some fine whiskies and I suspect almost every bottling was 'topped up' with older whiskies to give the bottling a wee 'boost'.

Once demand increased and the older whiskies were used up or deemed too valuable the 12 had to rely on 12 year old whisky and quite frankly, whatever the reason, some cracks began to show. However they were quick to fix the 'mix' and I think they are back on track.

A pretty fine distillery on average.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Frodo » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:26 am

Sherried Malt wrote:I will also say that the prices for the current releases are a bit steep for what they deliver. I've had people say that it was just a few years ago that the 18 went for half of what it does now; if I bought it back in the "good ol' days" I would be going through major sticker shock right now.

This echos my view. I like Mac as a nice dram, but the price is out of wack!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Re: What do you think of Macallan.

Postby Danny » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:37 pm

Muskrat Portage

Danny, the more I interact with you and read your posts, the more I like you. I too will drink any style and appreciate them for their individuality. . . when are you coming East

Well thanks, Peter. Might be awhile before I come east, but will be sure to call
Danny
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:25 pm

Yeah, Danny, be sure to wave at Kenora as you fly over on your way to someplace civilized! :P
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:45 pm

I like Macallan but agree with the majority here ... there is better out there and any Macallan I've had would not appear on my top 10 list.

Not sure about the price issue as all scotch is dear in good ol' Ireland and on a par with highland park prices.
irishwhiskeychaser

Civilized - Civilised .. You say Potatoe, I say po-tat-o ...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:10 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Yeah, Danny, be sure to wave at Kenora as you fly over on your way to someplace civilized! :P

Bruce, be civil, and... we are very civilised*, we even wear "Kenora Dinner Jackets" when we go out. :P (*Note that we still spell it correctly in the Northern part of the continent). :P
Also, we enjoy our Macallan 15 yo (1985) with a drap o' water. We will be comparing Macallans' CS and 12 yo at our April tasting mayhaps I'll bring the 1985 as a sampler. I generally find Macallan enjoyable but not always my top choice of dram. Musky P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:01 pm

Had an 18 some time ago expecting the exceptional. Disappointed, surprisingly hot and nothing like as sumptious as I had hoped. Still I guess one swallow cant ruin a summer.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:04 pm

Not a bad dram, but overpriced! Not the "Rolls Royce of whiskies" IMO.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:19 pm

I think it's a good ditillery with good malts, no more and no less. I cannot, however make this a regular dram as I find the sherry to be a bit strong.

I am fond of the Fine Oak series though
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

What do you think of Macallan?

Postby Danny » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:46 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Yeah, Danny, be sure to wave at Kenora as you fly over on your way to someplace civilized! :P

By, Jove Mr. T I think I've got it. :D

You mean wave a mini of J&B at the window as one flys over Kenora?
Danny
Bronze Member

Re: What do you think of Macallan?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:25 am

Danny wrote:

By, Jove Mr. T I think I've got it. :D You mean wave a mini of J&B at the window as one flys over Kenora?[]quote]
By God If you wave anything over Kenora it had better be a fine single malt mini, we have a damn fine artillery regiment here to protect our airspace from J&B.
I have to amend my comments about Macallan, thanks to Danny I sampled the 15 yo fine oak against my 1985 15 yo. No comparison the '85 is a superior dram.
Colour:a deep reddish gold, like the Macallan CS
Nose:a floral, fruity honey rich with sherry scent
palate: has sherry notes sweet floral and raisins. My final comment about the fine oak was was "Sadly reduced, a poor cousin to the 1985" Macallan :( how far you have fallen IMHO. Musky P
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Danny » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:17 am

Peter, I read your notes on the 15 year Fine Oak and your comments here.

Tried it again tonight along with the 1987 18 year and found it lacking in comparision.

However the last 12 year I purchased is much better than the one previous.

Seems to be a bit up and down.
Danny
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:22 pm

MP are you comparing the Macallan 1985 15 YO sherried version to the Macallan FO 15 YO???
Lawrence
Matured cask

Guilty as charged M'Lord

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:52 pm

Lawrence wrote:MP are you comparing the Macallan 1985 15 YO sherried version to the Macallan FO 15 YO???

Yes Lawrence I admit it, I was. It was definitely a one sided comparison. I must have breached a whisky etiquette rule by doing so. I throw myself on your mercy. Musky P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:01 pm

Nope, no rules broken, I was just trying to keep track.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Danny » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:54 am

I think that the Fine Oak series should be tasted in two ways, against the sherry style and against other malt brands that are similar to the Macallan spirit pre sherry finish, and then finished similar to the Fine Oak.

When I tasted the Fine Oak on its own, I did not think it a bad whisky, there are better of course, but was not bad. In fact I enjoyed it.

I have tasted it twice now in a Macallan vertical at it fails against the sherrys. But, I think I may be let down by the difference and perhaps that is a bit unfair to the Fine Oak.
Danny
Bronze Member

Unfair to Fine oak

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:23 am

Danny:
I think you have struck right on the money there. I really should do a vertical of Fine Oak's alone to let its' subtleties shine through. The sherried series of Macallan is a different and richer flavoured dram IMHO. I will be disappointed if The Macallan only sticks to the F.O. series and has discontinued the sherry for good.
Well, on that note, back to the Irish whisky... M.P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

What do you think of Macallan

Postby Danny » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:55 am

Boy, that is a scary thought Peter. I never contemplated them going to a straight Fine Oak series and discontinuing the sherried side.

I would hope that wiser heads would prevail. I could certainly see them continuing with both expressions, simply because the Spanish Sherry kegs are getting more expensive to maintain.

But, I would sure miss my sherried Macallan. :cry:
Danny
Bronze Member

Re: What do you think of Macallan

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:32 pm

Danny wrote:Boy, that is a scary thought Peter. I never contemplated them going to a straight Fine Oak series and discontinuing the sherried side.

No, they wouldn't be that foolish (would they?) I have noticed of late there is a preponderance of Fine Oak offerings at the local LCBO and the sherried series seems to have slipped awa'. The LCBO website shows 8 of the 12 yo sherry here (and even 2 at Sioux Narrows), but I don't remember seeing them yesterday when I was in for the Tyreconnell, just Fine Oak 10, 12 and 18. Must go back... Musky P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:49 pm

The sherried or 'traditional' Macallan's are being withdrawn from a number of markets and are generally going to be available as a specialized product in a reduced number of markets. Macallan cannot maintain it's extensive sherried line up for the entire world and has introduced the FO range for worldwide sales.

On the brighter side if you cannot live without a sherry monster in your life a number of new sherry monster have come on the market recently.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Macallan market adjustments

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:03 pm

Lawrence wrote:The sherried or 'traditional' Macallan's are being withdrawn from a number of markets and are ...available as a specialized product in a reduced number of markets. Macallan cannot maintain it's extensive sherried line ...introduced the FO range for worldwide sales.

Lawrence: This was my information as well, from the local manager, but I wasn't ready to go beyond what I'd originally stated. Like Balvenie 10, I may have to stock up a couple of extras. Thank you for the confirmation. Musky P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:38 pm

Lawrence wrote:On the brighter side if you cannot live without a sherry monster in your life a number of new sherry monster have come on the market recently.

Lawrence, do you mean that Macallan has come out with a new sherry expression, or that others have done so? If the former, what's it called and if the latter, can you give a few examples?

Thanks a lot.
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder