Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Fav Islay Cheapie

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Fav Islay under $30US

Signatory 5yr 40%
4
29%
McClellands
1
7%
Bowmore Legend
9
64%
 
Total votes : 14

Fav Islay Cheapie

Postby bjorn » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:19 am

I know some of you (Nick, I'm especially looking in your direction :wink: ) might not think much of these, but what is your favorite of the bargain (read: under $30 US) Islay whiskies?

Bjorn

(I realize that there might be lots of other IBs but those are the only choices available in my local Liqour stores)
bjorn
Bronze Member
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:58 am

Postby bamber » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:41 pm

I've only had the Legend. I like it. Not too demanding but I've had a couple of full bottles.
Last edited by bamber on Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
bamber
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:57 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:09 am

I'll vote for Signatory even though I've never had that one, but I know I don't like the other two.

Cheers

Paul
User avatar
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member
 
Posts: 744
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Bedfordshire, England

Postby Frodo » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:12 pm

I'm waiting for Lord P. to chime in here...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2472
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:22 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Postby Scotty Mc » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:32 pm

Bowmore Legend hands-down everytime. I prefer it over most Bowmore's as with it being relatively young, the peat is at it's most prominent
Scotty Mc
Silver Member
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:33 pm
Location: Sunderland, UK

Postby Ize » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:31 pm

My favourite Islay "cheapie" is Laphroaig 10yo. It's under 25€ which is less than 30USD, right?
Ize
Silver Member
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Up north, Finland

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:01 am

Frodo wrote:I'm waiting for Lord P. to chime in here...

Thanks again for scooping up the Signatory Islay. This is a gentle wack of smoke and peat, delicate yet forceful, not yet deeply influenced by the wood (5yo). This is an outstanding whisky it would be a breath-taking beauty if it were served-up at cask strength, yet even at 40%abv still much nicer than the others.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:54 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby Les Paul » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:41 pm

I also definitely agree with the recommendation for Bowmore Legend. I'll probably have a dram of it tonight. :D 8)
Les Paul
Bronze Member
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:02 am
Location: NW Ohio (Maumee)

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:21 pm

Lord_Pfaffin wrote:Thanks again for scooping up the Signatory Islay. This is a gentle wack of smoke and peat, delicate yet forceful, not yet deeply influenced by the wood (5yo). This is an outstanding whisky it would be a breath-taking beauty if it were served-up at cask strength, yet even at 40%abv still much nicer than the others.


Perhaps you are having a subliminal memory of my description of the cask strength version as breathtaking indeed, it having left me literally speechless on the occasion I tried it. I have a bottle in waiting, but I think it will have to wait a while more yet.

My inclination is to say yuck to all three of these, but I haven't had any McClellands in a long time (the one bottle I had was a real chore and put me off the brand), and I haven't had the 40% Sig. So I will only say that it doesn't matter how cheap the stuff is; if you don't like it, it's no bargain.
Deactivated Member
 

Postby Scotchio » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:35 pm

Tanners Peaty Creag 8 yr old. Fantastic !
Scotchio
Gold Member
 
Posts: 803
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: devon uk

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:22 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Perhaps you are having a subliminal memory of my description of the cask strength version as breathtaking indeed, it having left me literally speechless on the occasion I tried it. I have a bottle in waiting, but I think it will have to wait a while more yet.

My inclination is to say yuck to all three of these, but I haven't had any McClellands in a long time (the one bottle I had was a real chore and put me off the brand), and I haven't had the 40% Sig. So I will only say that it doesn't matter how cheap the stuff is; if you don't like it, it's no bargain.


Of course we both know that you said that so that it might appear that if we agree it'd look like it were your idea. :wink:
I really like the Dun Bheagan 8yo Islay (Lagavulin) and have drank gallons of it, enjoyed every drop and never tasted any sulphery notes as you suggested Mr. TH.
We must remember that sometimes good things come in small packages and sometimes good things have small price tags. You'd be more likely to believe that a $100/bottle whisky could taste as good or better than a $300/bottle whisky. Stands to reason that there just might be a $45/bottle whisky that could standup to a $100/bottle whisky, so don't be so quick to turn your nose up, you just might miss out on something good.
But then: One man's garbage is another man's gold.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:54 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:45 pm

Lord_Pfaffin wrote:I really like the Dun Bheagan 8yo Islay (Lagavulin) and have drank gallons of it, enjoyed every drop and never tasted any sulphery notes as you suggested Mr. TH.


That were not I--never had the DB.

I have no argument about your point on price v quality, either, but will say that there is often a reason some of these bargain brands are bargain brands.
Deactivated Member
 

Postby bjorn » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:05 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:I have no argument about your point on price v quality, either, but will say that there is often a reason some of these bargain brands are bargain brands.


That said, there are many wonderful bourbons and Irish whiskies available for 20ish or less and Glen Garioch 10yr is very nice and reasonable. It stands to reason that one of these might be pretty good. At the same time, you're right, the bottle of Tomatin that I recently finished was kind of awful and I could have put that $20 to better use

bjorn
bjorn
Bronze Member
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:58 am

Postby Frodo » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:27 am

I've never had any of the three in this poll, but in the spirit of the poll I'll mention what I like at the LCBO. After all, I do like a hit of peat sometimes, and my pocket book can pinch me on occasion...

The three that occur to me are 10yr Laphroaig @$50, DTC regional Islay @$52, and Dun Bheagan 8yr Islay @$43. Given my choice, I'd take the DTC by a whisper, but the savings from the Dun Bheagan also are tempting. Lowest price point for a peaty one from the DB, and very drinkable too (from where I sit).

Still wish we could get Black Bottle 10yr...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2472
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:22 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Postby Frodo » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:30 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Lord_Pfaffin wrote:I really like the Dun Bheagan 8yo Islay (Lagavulin) and have drank gallons of it, enjoyed every drop and never tasted any sulphery notes as you suggested Mr. TH.


That were not I--never had the DB.

I have no argument about your point on price v quality, either, but will say that there is often a reason some of these bargain brands are bargain brands.


Actually, I remember you saying this in person when you tried it at the Summerhill tasting tower. Sulphered you said - and not really motivated to finish the dram. You did though - good for you!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2472
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:22 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Postby Badmonkey » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:32 am

A 200 ml bottle of Bruichladdich would do it for me. I'd rather pay for less and enjoy it more than suffer through a regular bottle of something that didn't excite me.
Badmonkey
Gold Member
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:08 am
Location: Edmonton, Alberta

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:36 am

Frodo wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:
Lord_Pfaffin wrote:I really like the Dun Bheagan 8yo Islay (Lagavulin) and have drank gallons of it, enjoyed every drop and never tasted any sulphery notes as you suggested Mr. TH.


That were not I--never had the DB.

I have no argument about your point on price v quality, either, but will say that there is often a reason some of these bargain brands are bargain brands.


Actually, I remember you saying this in person when you tried it at the Summerhill tasting tower. Sulphered you said - and not really motivated to finish the dram. You did though - good for you!


Well I'll be. I'm glad somebody's keeping track of what I say. I'd quite forgotten that! Apologies, LP. Anyone who blabs as much as I do is bound to contradict himself sooner rather than later. No, he isn't.
Deactivated Member
 

Postby Frodo » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Frodo
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2472
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:22 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Postby The Dazzler » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:06 am

Will not vote here, quite liked the McLellands islay and the Bowmore legend but they are both Bowmore and both are what the title of the thread states cheapie islay malts. legend might just edge it for me but have not tried the Signatory one as yet.

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:08 pm

Postby PuckJunkie » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:43 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:...Anyone who blabs as much as I do is bound to contradict himself sooner rather than later. No, he isn't.
In times like this, I like to remember the wise words of Walt Whitman:

Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass wrote:Do I contradict myself?
Very well then, I contradict myself.
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)


Puck
PuckJunkie
Bronze Member
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 7:36 pm
Location: Dallas, TX USA

Islay cheapies

Postby papadon » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:30 am

Hello whisky lovers. I'm new to the site, but not to single malts, and I had my first drink of whisky a good 30+ years ago.

Tthis thread seems as good a place to jump in as any. I've tried all three of the Islay cheapies, and would rank them so:
Signatory
Bowmore Legend
McClelland's

Interesting that while the last two both come from Bowmore, the Legend is more expensive some places, but less expensive than the McClelland's other places. Can't really use price as a guide, can you...

Laphroaig 10 would easily beat all three, but it cost about $50 US here in Seattle, so it wouldn't qualify.

Papadon
papadon
New member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:11 am
Location: Seattle WA -- Ballard!

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:14 am

PuckJunkie wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:...Anyone who blabs as much as I do is bound to contradict himself sooner rather than later. No, he isn't.
In times like this, I like to remember the wise words of Walt Whitman:

Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass wrote:Do I contradict myself?
Very well then, I contradict myself.
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)


Puck


Love it, PJ! "I am large, I contain multitudes." I'll certainly use that. Might even go find Whitman and read it!
Deactivated Member
 

fave "cheapy" Islay poll

Postby Green Manelishi » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:12 pm

McClelland's is a (young) Bowmore.


At a nearby state liquor store I can buy a cheapy for well under 30 or I can spend a few more than 30 and get myself an Ardbeg. I'd go for the Ardbeg.
User avatar
Green Manelishi
New member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:09 pm
Location: One day closer to home ...

Re: Islay cheapies

Postby bamyili » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:14 pm

papadon wrote:I've tried all three of the Islay cheapies, and would rank them so:
Signatory
Bowmore Legend
McClelland's


Is Signatory available in Washington State? I don't recall seeing it on the shelves down here in S. Puget Sound.
bamyili
New member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:06 am
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:44 pm

What about that new "Smokehead"?

It must be a contender too?
Deactivated Member
 

Re: Islay cheapies

Postby rthomson » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:30 pm

bamyili wrote:
papadon wrote:I've tried all three of the Islay cheapies, and would rank them so:
Signatory
Bowmore Legend
McClelland's


Is Signatory available in Washington State? I don't recall seeing it on the shelves down here in S. Puget Sound.


I haven't seen any Signatory bottlings but I haven't been checking on a regular basis. In general, the state tends to stick with OB's. Here's a link that'll let you search the state's inventory:http://www.liq.wa.gov/PriceBook/PriceBookMenu1.asp

Look under "Product Availability" They do a fairly good job of keeping it up to date.

Cheers,
Ron
rthomson
Silver Member
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:30 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby papadon » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:37 am

No, you can't get it here. I think I ordered it from SF via DandM.com. The price is very reasonable. If not via mail from D&M, I got it sent from Applejack.com in Colorado. Feel free to send me a private message.

Papadon
papadon
New member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:11 am
Location: Seattle WA -- Ballard!

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder