Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Seal / foil removal

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Foil / seals on a bottle:

I prefer to remove it completely.
28%
I leave the bottom section on below the cork.
55%
Like all seals, I beat it with a club.
18%

Total votes : 40

Seal / foil removal

Postby parvus » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:39 pm

I'm curious to see what others do with their metal, faux-wax and other bits and pieces that surround the cork and neck of a new bottle.

I used to remove the whole thing, but i'm starting to leave the bottom part intact now, and I don't know which I prefer.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:00 am

Funny question... I have never thought about that. However I use to leave the bottom part of the foil. In the rush of pouring myself a dram I couldn't possibly think of wasting my time on other things. :lol: :lol:
I have a funny habit of keeping the corks from empty bottles though. I keep them in a large glass bowl...looks pretty cool with all the different colors and shapes.

Cheers

Postby karlejnar » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:24 am

I prefer to remove the seal completely. Don't know why - just a habbit I guess.

I have always done the same with wine bottles, so probably the habbit started there.
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:07 am

I leave the bottom half on, I usually run a knife round under the cork to leave a clean edge, sad or what? I really must try to get out more, I'll ask Matron . . .

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Seal/foil removal

Postby Danny » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:15 am

Strictly from habit or being lazy, not sure which, leave the bottom on. Once I can get the cork out any extra is kind of in the way of me having a taste. :lol:

Mr. Ellen said;
I have a funny habit of keeping the corks from empty bottles though. I keep them in a large glass bowl...looks pretty cool with all the different colors and shapes.

Mr. Ellen, I bet that this a very interesting collection!
Danny
Bronze Member

Club it off

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:06 am

(Sorry I liked the little shot at the bottom about seal hunting, as I do something different)
Danny: I usually pry the little triangular notch and slowly unravel the top off. After pouring the dram(s) I recork and ... I put the little metal cap back on top of the cork. To keep the angels out? I dunno.. can you say anal? :oops: Never thought about it before. M.P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Club it off

Postby Photon » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:18 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:After pouring the dram(s) I recork and ... I put the little metal cap back on top of the cork. .

I do that too - my wife thinks I'm nuts. (She's not wrong, but this is hardly the symptom that broke the camels back)

-P.
Photon
Bronze Member

Re: Club it off

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:31 am

Photon wrote:
Muskrat Portage wrote:After pouring the dram(s) I recork and ... I put the little metal cap back on top of the cork. .

I do that too - my wife thinks I'm nuts. (She's not wrong, but this is hardly the symptom that broke the camels back)-P.

Yeah, mine thinks I'm anal ' cause I'm doing up a 20 + page booklet for our April tasting... with section tabs... and a multi coloured map ... and a redesigned tasting note sheet ... okay, maybe she's on to something. :oops: camel may be under some strain in my household. But it's for whisky! Musky P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:29 pm

I remove the top and leave the bottom. Except on a bottle of laphroaig 10 yr old that I have left the top on as well for some unkown reason and I keep replacing it everytime I have a dram, and the bottle is almost finished so that is quite often.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:44 pm

I remove the top and leave the bottom also. I think it looks better this way - I hate it when I mess up and it tears in an ugly way...

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby rifkin » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:39 pm

Jan wrote:I remove the top and leave the bottom also. I think it looks better this way - I hate it when I mess up and it tears in an ugly way...

Cheers
Jan

You're so right!

A tip to get a clean, neat removal of the aluminium lid: use a cutter like the ones used for removing the metallic top on wine botts.

It's foolproof :wink:
rifkin

Postby Scotty Mc » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:31 pm

Haha! I couldn't not choose the last option!

But I do just remove the top half and leave the rest on the bottle.

And I would like to say that I don't beat seals as I don't want to be attacked by animal rights activists or Greenpeace thank you very much! :D
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Seal abuser

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:56 pm

Scotty Mc wrote:...And I would like to say that I don't beat seals as I don't want to be attacked by animal rights activists or Greenpeace thank you very much! :D
..and you don't want to incur the wrath of Knighted Brits either... Musky P. [u]Amended Mar 20/06[/u]
Last edited by Muskrat Portage on Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:14 pm

I was given a bottle of Bowmore Dusk, I should have kept the foil and thrown away the bottle.

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:21 pm

Paul A Jellis wrote:I was given a bottle of Bowmore Dusk, I should have kept the foil and thrown away the bottle.

Cheers

Paul

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Disclaimer: I have not tried Bowmore Dusk - I just thought the above was very funny.

/Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:49 pm

Paul A Jellis wrote:I was given a bottle of Bowmore Dusk, I should have kept the foil and thrown away the bottle.

Cheers

Paul

I agree! I bought a bottle at least year ago and I just can't manage to finish it. This finish has to be one of the worst in the whiskytrade. :shock:

Cheers

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:58 pm

Yes I'm another saddo that keeps the foil top and replaces it when finished pouring.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Jan wrote:

Cheers

Paul

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Disclaimer: I have not tried Bowmore Dusk - I just thought the above was very funny.

/Jan

I have tried it, he's right.

As for the foil, I leave the bottom on except for Balvenie. It just looks 'right' without.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:30 am

At last! A truly meaningful poll on a subject of earth-shaking significance! Let Diageo, Pernod-Ricard, and all the others ignore this at their peril.

I'm with the majority (so far)--remove the top, leave the rest. Use a knife on wax (a'bunadh). The foil tops have been accumulating in a pile behind my keyboard :oops: :oops: :oops: --just pulled the drawer out and found exactly forty of them. There is a logical explanation for this, though: I have no wife. (And Mr Picky won't even come in here--he yells all his comments from a small room in the back of my mind.)

Even my bachelorly slovenliness has its limits. The seven perforated foil strips I also found back there have just gone in the trash! That's enough housecleaning for this week.

(Next week I will no doubt see perforated foil strips from whisky bottles going for big bucks on EBay.)
Deactivated Member

Postby parvus » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:12 am

All of my tin foily bits go into the tube or box that the malt comes in, due to how I have my malts arranged in my cupboard; bottle infront of the box. I'm going to make a marraca out of a whisky tube and a large handfull of whisky foil.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby DramMeister » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:40 pm

I' ve tried Bowmore Dusk. Didn't find it that bad!

My very brief tasting notes were:

Rich, fruity nose
Raisins, peat palate

Could it be like 'Robin Hood Prince of Thieves'

First watching - harmless good fun
Second watching - Can I go to the dentists please?
Third watching - where's my gun?

(I used to work in a cinema - else it wouldn't have had a second viewing)
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby Bullie » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:56 am

Hhaha... I wasn't the only one checking the third option.

I've just read all the comments, and I agree with most of you. I leave the bottom intact. But saving the top? Perheaps a wee bit over the top for me.. ;) But whatever makes one happy, is IMHO the right way.

Saving the corks is a good idea. Not only as a piece of art, but for all those corks that has to be replaced when broken...
Bullie
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder