Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What Shall I Open?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which five bottles should I open next?

All your Port Ellens and Ardbegs
19%
Macallan 18--it's not on your list, but it's my favorite
9%
Open anything you want but your mouth, you babbling buffoon
25%
I can't possibly answer this unless you send me a 20cl sample of each whisky
34%
I swear, I had George Mason, really
13%

Total votes : 32

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:08 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:What each of you think is of far more interest to me.

"I think, therefore I am" ............ quite certain that you should open the Port Ellen 1979/24 Third Release 57.3% 0.70 only do discover what a fantastic whisky this is (thanks Jonathan! ) . Probably the best I've tasted - and certainly better than my ability to quote Descartes.

Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:05 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:... quite certain that you should open the Port Ellen 1979/24 Third Release 57.3% 0.70 only do discover what a fantastic whisky this is (thanks Jonathan! ).

Christian

Me too!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:16 am

Mr. T, since you are tailoring the parameters a bit, may I make a suggestion? Edit the original post to reflect the ones you have never tried and of the ones you've tried, which were favorites. It would narrow the choices I think. :idea:

I know how difficult the predicament can be. Being a Libra, not that I follow the Zodiac, but I do try compulsively to balance the scales. :roll:
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:28 pm

jd, I didn't want to make the original post too complicated, and less so after the fact. And I don't take this too seriously--just want to see what people think. Being a Scorpio, I think I shall just forge impulsively ahead....
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotchio » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:02 pm

Virginia Gentleman wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:Open it anyway, VG! You have nothing to feel sad about. GM won four straight as heavy underdogs, a remarkable achievement, and went far deeper than anyone ever imagined they could. They were supposed to be one-and-out! I lift my dram of Laphroaig 17 (Whisky Shop) to them. They are winners!

Your right and I think I will open that bottle. To our friends on the other side of the Atlantic who do not know what we are talking about. George Mason making it this far would have been equal to a lower divison team going to the Premiership and beating Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal.

I'm a Bolton fan we've just done this! :D
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:48 pm

Michael Bolton? :P
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotchio » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:33 am

Michael Bolton is the antichrist. How can a man who makes allusions to Tom Waits even bring himself to consider typing such a name. I referred to the Mighty Wanderers, although I would probably pay good money to see Michael Bolton being beaten by the aforementioned teams.
As to your original question and with complete disregard to everything which has already been written( in the name of objectivity and indolence) here is my twopennethworth.
Bottles opened now are primarily going to take you into the summer so I'd lean toward the light side.

Islay: Ardbeg 17 or that half bottle of PE if it's a mid peated bottling

Heavy Spey: 50cl Macallan 30s the 2nd best of the travel series allegedly

Lighter Spey: 20cl of Doublewood allows you to open the extra bottle of Cragganmore. Both ideal summer drinks.

Highlands and Islands: 33cl HP12 summer glugger and Dalwhinnie 15 ditto mid weight honey and smoke

Special contemplative treat bonus opening as you have a number of smaller bottles in your selection and have no fear of oxidation: Laddie69 half bottle because you are clearly a fan and deserve a treat.

Predominantly light floral and honied without too much to take seriously just as a good summer should be. Smaller bottles bigger choice.
Steve
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:48 am

Scotchio wrote:Michael Bolton is the antichrist. How can a man who makes allusions to Tom Waits even bring himself to consider typing such a name. I referred to the Mighty Wanderers, although I would probably pay good money to see Michael Bolton being beaten by the aforementioned teams.

:P Got good mileage out of that chain yank!

My only open bottle now is the HP25, which I am not going to hurry along. As I happen to have a very busy work week, I have decided to take a short hiatus--I shall call it MiniLent. By the weekend, work will slow to a standstill, and I will return to tally the votes and tell you why I'm ignoring them and opening what I'm opening. Last chance! And thanks, all, for indulging me.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:10 am

Time to tally! Amazingly, no fewer than forty-three bottles got votes. Well, forty-two--Badmonkey voted for Alberta Premium! Survey says...errrrnt. Here is the count, with applicable comments:

Seven
Cragganmore CS Sold! Will open this soon.
Talisker 20 Under consideration.

Five
Aberlour a'bunadh Just had a bottle, and have plans for this one.

Four
Ardbeg 17 Not right now--this is now an heirloom bottle.
Dalwhinnie 15 Why not? Under consideration.
Highland Park 18 Had one recently.
Lagavulin DE 1980 Possibly, and it's a duplicate.

Three
Ardbeg Lord Of The Isles Had one not long ago; now an heirloom.
Brora Old & Rare (Laing) One of these two Broras will have to be opened soon.
Brora Rare Malts
Clynelish Cadenheads Sold. Will open soon.
Highland Park 25 Still have one open!
Glenmorangie Traditional Possibly--I remember liking this, but it's been a while--can still get it, so maybe I should revisit it.

Two
Ardbeg 1975 Not now.
Balvenie PortWood The idea to keep a Balvenie open is a good one. Under consideration.
Bruichladdich G&M Cask
Caol Ila Rare Malts
Glenfiddich 18
Glenrothes 1985
Glen Rothes Signatory ucf Under consideration. Thinking of a Glenrothes series--this, '92, '85, '74.
Macallan '40's
Oban DE 1983
Port Ellen G&M Cask Should think of one PE or another.
Port Ellen Rare Malts
Port Ellen Third Release
Talisker 25

One
Alberta Premium DQ'd!
Ardbeg Very Young
Ardbeg 10
Ardbeg 21 Someday soon.
Balvenie DoubleWood
Bruichladdich Full Strength
Bruichladdich Tonga Valinch Under consideration. Have two.
Bruichladdich Flora McBabe Valinch
Caol Ila CS
Glenmorangie Sherry Wood
Glendronach 15
Glenrothes 1974
Glenrothes 1992
Highland Park 12
Macallan '30's
Signatory Islay CS Under consideration--possibly to be followed by AVY.

A couple of you have mentioned warm weather coming, and my answer to that is...calvados! I have a Père Magloire 20yo and a Busnel Millésimé (1963!). The fruitiness of calvados strikes me as being well suited to warm weather, although both of these are quite old and perhaps more oaky/whiskylike. But I've had them for two-and-a-half years now, so it's time to crack one of them, maybe in June.

So here's what we have:

Definites
Cragganmore CS
Clynelish Cadenheads

Under Consideration
Talisker 20
Dalwhinnie 15
Lagavulin DE 1980
Glenmorangie Traditional
Balvenie PortWood
Glen Rothes Signatory ucf
Bruichladdich Tonga Valinch
Signatory Islay CS

That's the short list. Any more thoughts?
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:34 am

You've got three of my suggestions in your under consideration category:

Bruichladdich 1989 The Tonga Valinch 57.0% 0.50 BDA
Lagavulin 1980 Distillers Edition 43.0% 0.75
Glenmorangie Traditional 57.5% 1.00

If you pick all three I shall buy myself a bottle of Cadenheads - probably an Islay. That bottle's fate is in your hands :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:17 am

Well, from your 'considerables' I suggest the Glenrothes and Talisker 20.

Two quite different styles and ones which I personally would open.
WH
Deactivated Member

Postby The Dazzler » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:06 pm

Hey Mr T,

I think from your considerations you should choose the following;

something a bit light- Dalwhinnie 15yo
something sherried- Glenrothes Sig unchillfiltered (this is sherried yea?)
something peaty- Signatory Islay

Whatever you choose enjoy!

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby Badmonkey » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:35 pm

Well, since you've taken the trouble to give us a shortlist, I'll give you my picks from that list. And I guarantee that I won't suggest Alberta Premium.*

1. Talisker 20
2. Glenmorangie Traditional
3. Glen Rothes Signatory ucf

*Not a guarantee
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:17 am

And the first opening is...Signatory Cask Strength Islay 5yo! Given that this is my first dram in almost a week, the impulse that drove me to open it can only be described as perverse. Anyway, it was easy; it's a screwtop.

I am thinking along the lines of whisky threads in making my choices. When this bottle is nearly done, I will open the Ardbeg Very Young to compare; after that, hopefully I will have the Ardbeg Still Young. Or maybe Ardbeg 21.

Report in "What are you drinking now?"
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:39 am

Second opening: Glenrothes 1992. Intend to conduct a Glenrothes survey--after this, the Sig ucf, the 1985, the 1974, and the mini of 1972.

Another nontraditional closure--a synthetic cork.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:32 am

Third opening: Cadenheads Clynelish, 1989/2001, 60.2%. I bought this at the Cadenheads shop in Edinburgh, but I notice that it's a 750, and the label on the back says "Imported by Preiss Imports". Hmmm. Not sure what this thread is--northern highlanders? IB cask strengths? Really really good whiskies? Anything goes, I guess.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:37 pm

What a nice surprise! I was thinking that I'd already opened four, but I see it's only three.

Tonight it's the Bruichladdich Tonga Valinch, cask 1880, 1989/2005, 57%, bottle 57 of 330, bourbon barrel, enhanced in Caroni Trinidad Rum; offered to commemorate the visit of His Royal Highness, Crown Prince Tupouto'a Tupou V of Tonga.
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:23 am

Go ahead! Why not indulge MrTattieheid! Open up the Talisker 25y too, nice one you got there. And I suggest not even using glassware, just drink straight from the bottle, unless you usually share with others? Honestly, pull out the cork and have a nice swig, should be good. And then you can report on how that was, I'll bet perfect! Careful not too finish it too quickly or else you'll be facing the same predicament, "What Shall I Open?"
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:28 am

:lol:

That's a tempting idea...I'm not planning to open the Talisker 25 just yet, but I'll tell you what, when I do, I'll take the first swig right from the bottle, as you suggest. Why not?
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun May 07, 2006 4:19 am

I really have been allowing work to interfere with my drinking--apart from two drams in Quebec City last Sunday, I've not had any whisky in some time. I'm catching a break tonight, though, and have opened my last bottle for the time being. It's the Balvenie PortWood 21. I'm not sure what I paid for this--I don't even have the purchase date in my inventory, so it goes back before fall of 2002. I'm only sure that it costs a lot more now.

So here is what I have open:

Balvenie 21 PortWood
Bruichladdich 1989 The Tonga Valinch
Clynelish 12 Cadenheads
Glenrothes 1992
Highland Park 25
Signatory Islay 5yo cs

A fair balance, I think. I'd intended to open the Cragganmore cs, and will do that when the Clynelish is empty.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun May 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Mr. T, did you buy the Bruichladdich 1989 The Tonga Valinch at th distillery?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Dubois » Sun May 07, 2006 5:49 pm

Glenmorangie Traditional
Highland Park 25
Ardbeg 17 43.0% 0.75
Dubois

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 08, 2006 2:08 am

Lawrence wrote:Mr. T, did you buy the Bruichladdich 1989 The Tonga Valinch at th distillery?

I did. I bought two! Bwa ha ha ha ha! Ron just finished his, I believe. I don't know if Bob has opened his or not. We got them all autographed by McEwan. He started to sign Bob's, botched the very beginning, and started over, telling Bob, "You can remove [the error] with a little nail polish remover." But no, I thought. We now have evidence of a mistake by McEwan. It's worth a fortune!
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon May 08, 2006 4:05 pm

Yes, I'll echo that Bwa ha ha ha ha!
Lawrence
Matured cask

Which to Open?

Postby cwtrotter » Tue May 09, 2006 4:07 am

Just post your address and work schedule and I can help make the choice easier through the process of elimination :wink:
cwtrotter

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 10, 2006 5:36 pm

Tell you what, cw, you post your address, and I'll just box 'em all up and send 'em over.

As if!!! :P
Deactivated Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder