Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Please help me choose my next purchase

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Lagavulin Distillers Edition
32%
Bladnoch, sheep edition
41%
Ardmore 1990 G&M Cask
9%
Bookers
18%

Total votes : 22

Postby Jan » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:25 am

Hi All

Payday is soon here and with it some financial leeway that can be used to scratch an itch I have. :wink:

I’m a little in doubt what I should purchase this time and thought I would ask your advice.
As usual the poll is mostly to start the discussion, I look forward to hear your thoughts as well.

I have narrowed my choices down to these bottles:

Lagavulin Distillers Edition
I absolute love the 16yo, but have somehow managed never to taste the DE. As I mostly like my drams peaty and/or sweet, this should be a no-brainer; I’m convinced that I will like this dram.

Bladnoch, sheep edition
On the other hand, an argument could be made for the importance of variety. I have no lowlanders in my drinking selection and this comes recommended here on the forum.

Ardmore 1990 G&M Cask
Well, I have stated more than once, that I should have bought an extra bottle of this magnificient dram. Perhaps I should stop talking and start doing?

Bookers
I am into single malts, this is where my interests lie. On the other hand I know that there are some good small batch bourbons out there. I recently tasted this in a bar and found it enjoyable. But enjoyable enough to purchase a whole bottle? I’m not sure…

So which should I, in your opinion buy next – and why?

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby parvus » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:59 am

I'd say go for the Ardmore. I had some '90 Ardmore recently, and it was quite good. Having said that, the Laga DE's are supposedly very very good, so, who knows.

Both perhaps? :shock:
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Choochoo » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:54 pm

All fine choices, but my vote goes for variety, & therefore the Bladnoch. The Lowlanders can be light and subtle, but on many days I pass by all other bottles on my shelf in favor of a light Lowlander, and it always hits the spot.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:12 pm

I voted Bladnoch for pretty much the same reason as Choochoo.
Every now and again I like the idea of a light, flowery and sometimes gently fruity dram. I usually find Lowlanders accommodate these requirements quite well.

WH
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:50 pm

Bookers - and the only reason why I chose Bookers is because you already have so much knowledge of scotch single malt Jan! A good excuse to broaden the horizons - and after that you can tell me if it's good and if I should buy it or not :wink:

Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:14 pm

Hello Jan,

Are these your final options or could you perhaps consider a few other alternatives?
I agree with the pre-posters that you maybe should go for variety and as you haven't got a lowlander in your portfolio maybe you should consider a Bladnoch or perhaps even a Rosebank.
My experience with Bladnoch is somewhat limited and I haven't tried the mentioned bottling. For the moment I have only a few bottles of the Flora & Fauna Bladnoch plus the Chieftains 13y. finished in Rum Barrels. I like these two expressions very much although the Chieftain's has a lot more to offer in terms of complexity and flavours.
When it comes to Rosebank you have plenty of bottlings to choose from and I stilll haven't found a bad expression from this tragically lost distillery. Most of them are reasonably priced and I think you could find many of them in your country.
They are often flowery, herbal or grassy on the nose with a sweet, creamy, flowery, lemony or lavender palate.
In my opinion Rosebank is the ultimate lowlander and I recommend you to add a bottle to your collection.

When it comes to Bourbon, I am also rather new to this category. I haven't tried the Booker's but I recently bought a Evan Williams Single Barrel 1995 and a Buffolo Trace. Both were truly outstanding.

Here are my tasting notes for the Evan Williams:

Nose: Charred oak barrels, violets, coconut, vanilla and dried fruits.
Palate: Amazingly rich in flavours. Oak, hints of herbs, coconut, dried fruit, nuts and vanilla. Lots of toffee/caramel (butterscotch?). Very complex.
Finish: Sweet, fruitcake, vanilla. Long and outstanding.
Comment: In my opinion a great whisky that just beats the **** out of many scotch ones and leaves you stunned, gasping for more. For me, as a beginner of Bourbons, I could not imagine it would taste this good. For me this is the start of a friendship which shall never end.

As you stated yourself...You know you're gonna like the Lagavulin DE (which in my opinion is one of the best-ever whiskies :D ) and you've had the Ardmore. Go for something new...try a lowland whisky or head for a Bourbon. You're probably going to surprised in a very positive way.

As I haven't tasted the mentioned Bladnoch or the Booker's I don't submit my vote.

Cheers

Postby hpulley » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:19 pm

I too suggested the Bladnoch, especially once I saw you already have a 1990 Ardmore. I have one of those as well, plus some '92s.

If you aren't sure yet about the Bookers then you must decide if you want to chance a whole bottle or hit the bar for a few more shots before pulling the trigger. Personally I don't find it that useful to have a bottle of bourbon around but I just might pick up a bottle of Elmer T. Lee if it hasn't already been delisted.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby karlejnar » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:24 pm

As I recently recommended the Sheep to you Jan - I had to vote for that one.
But a close second is Lagavulin DE - just got a 1l bottle of this one (distilled 1989, bottled 2005). My son bought it for me on the boat from Norway.

The peat is a little less pungent compared to a normal 16yo Laga, and the taste is nicely rounded by the PX sherry cask used in 2nd maturation.
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby Bullie » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:17 pm

Well Jan, I have to agree with some of the others. If you don't have a lowlander in your cabinet yet, this is a good choice.

Though, the Lagavulin DE is a splendid dram... :roll:

As for the Ardmore, come down to Whiskyhouse with me some day and see if we can get a wee zip of the OMC 1979... There you have a truly amazing Ardmore. :wink:
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:32 am

The only one of those I have tried and can give an enthusiastic thumbs up is the Booker's Bourbon. I didn't used to give much thought to Bourbon, I've only tried 7 or 8, compared to 105 Single Malts, but Booker's is equally as good as my top 10 malts. I'm only halfway through my first bottle and already I know it will be a permanent shelfer. Besides, it's cheap here ($45US), so that helps. If I remember right you were asking about GTS in another thread and I compared the two.

I, too am interested in the Lagavulin DE, just for the variety of it, although more than one review has said it is different, but not necessarally better than the Laga 16.

I love Ardmore and would like to try that bottling to compare to the only one available to me, the '92 Signatory UCF.

I would agree to have a lowlander ready for the summer months, and I can recommend a Murray McDavid '92 Rosebank. I haven't found a Bladnoch that I have seen any reviews on. If anyone knows anything about a Bladnoch 11yo, 1991 Signatory Vintage 43% abv, let me know.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:16 pm

Thanks for all your replies and for your advice, which I will follow. :D

It seems the Bladnoch will be it then. Good that I asked, else I would probably have gone with Laga and thus added yet another islay to all the others. (I really wish to have varied selection, but somehow these pesky Islays have a way of sneaking into my cabinet almost without me noticing. :shock: :wink: )

jimidrammer wrote:If I remember right you were asking about GTS in another thread and I compared the two.

Yes, I did and I would love to taste GTS one day. But I must admit, that I find the price asked a bit steep.

Bullie wrote:As for the Ardmore, come down to Whiskyhouse with me some day and see if we can get a wee zip of the OMC 1979... There you have a truly amazing Ardmore.

Sound like a date - I will someday :wink:

hpulley wrote:If you aren't sure yet about the Bookers then you must decide if you want to chance a whole bottle or hit the bar for a few more shots before pulling the trigger.

Harry, I think you're right and I will go to the bar for another taste of this.

Mr Ellen wrote:Are these your final options or could you perhaps consider a few other alternatives? ... In my opinion Rosebank is the ultimate lowlander and I recommend you to add a bottle to your collection.

When the subject is whisky I'm always open to alternatives, but I think Rosebank will have to wait for a future visit to the liquorist. For now I have my sights set on the Bladnoch, which is available locally and not too expensive. Thanks for the Evan Williams note, it really sounds like a stunner and I'll keep it in mind, if I fall over a bottle one day.

Again thanks All - I will report back when I have had a go at the Bladnoch.

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:00 am

Jan wrote:Sound like a date - I will someday :wink:
Cheers
Jan

I'll be going there the 20:th of May, with a bunch of people. If you'll come with us, you'll get a 10% off on the purchases! :D
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:12 pm

Bullie wrote:
Jan wrote:Sound like a date - I will someday :wink:
Cheers
Jan

I'll be going there the 20:th of May, with a bunch of people. If you'll come with us, you'll get a 10% off on the purchases! :D

Hi Bullie

Thanks for the invite - I will try to see if I can fit it into my schedule. I will get back to you in a few days time.

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder