Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How often do you drink whisky ?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

How often do you drink whisky

every day
30%
once a week
6%
twice a week
17%
three times a week
26%
other...
20%

Total votes : 93

Postby Scotchio » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:37 am

Probably 2/3 times a week depernding on mood and circumstance
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Cam » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:58 pm

I usually have 2 to 4 drams twice a week. I will be attending a Scotch Club dinner on Tuesday evening, that should up my intake by 50% for this week.
Cam

Postby Lawrence » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:44 pm

Hi Cam, if I've not met you before, welcome to the forum. Can you let me know what scotch club you belong to in your area?

Many thanks,

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Cam » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:15 pm

Lawrence..., I'll try not to elbow you if I sit next to you and Caroline at the Black Olive on Tuesday evening :D . My location should have given you a hint, though this coming dinner will only be my second attendance.
Cam

Postby bond » Mon May 01, 2006 10:18 am

I am really beginning to feel like a drunkard... i have 3-4 drams (at 60 ml a "dram" dunno if thats what i should be calling them) everyday.
bond
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 01, 2006 11:03 am

Probably four or five drams over the course of a weekend. I try not to drink during the working week - though sometimes it's hard folks. Sometimes it's hard :P
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon May 01, 2006 6:39 pm

Cam, you fooled me! I would have never guessed that you were talking about the club that I run!

See you tomorrow.

Word of warning: If you elbow Carollyne in the ribs and spill her whisky you're on your own however I can recommend that the sanest course of action is simply to run away. :wink:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Dubois » Sat May 06, 2006 6:50 pm

bond wrote:I am really beginning to feel like a drunkard... i have 3-4 drams (at 60 ml a "dram" dunno if thats what i should be calling them) everyday.

Dram...? Maybe "Portion" would be a more proper word... :wink:
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Sat May 06, 2006 10:48 pm

About to end my month and a half long hiatus. I can't take it any longer, i envy you guys. Thats easier typed than said as my toungue is hangin down around my knees. :lol:
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Sun May 07, 2006 12:44 am

I envy you! BIG willpower...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun May 07, 2006 4:09 am

:shock: Big tongue, too....
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun May 07, 2006 4:57 pm

Or high knees...
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Apathy78 » Fri May 19, 2006 2:46 pm

I drink at least 1 - 3 drams each day
Apathy78

Postby Dubois » Fri May 19, 2006 3:01 pm

Apathy78 wrote:I drink at least 1 - 3 drams each day

My kind of people :wink:
Dubois

Postby Apathy78 » Fri May 19, 2006 7:52 pm

Dubois wrote:
Apathy78 wrote:I drink at least 1 - 3 drams each day

My kind of people :wink:

Since today is Friday and I just got two new bottles to try (Cragganmore 12 year and a bottle of Macallan 10 year) I'm looking at about 10 or so :D
Apathy78

Postby les taylor » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:24 pm

Its Frightening when you analyze your intake and the empty bottles in the recycling box. The problem is their is so much variety and it tastes so darn good. Perhaps they could make an alcohol free single malt for alternate days consumption. It probably wouldn't work though.
les taylor

Postby lexvo » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:15 pm

During the week 3-4 drams, in the weekend 4-5 drams.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby nicholtl » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:18 am

Lawrence wrote:
Sometimes I find that I've gone a couple of weeks without a dram

:shock: Who the h*ll are you people?????

Seriously! I'm cutting down to just 2 drams a night. But sometimes that 3rd one just comes outta nowhere.
nicholtl
Bronze Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:59 am

Hate it when drams sneak up on me like that...

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:18 pm

Yes, that third dram is a sneaky fellow and his cousin, fourth is even worse.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:07 pm

You have that backwards, C_I. You're supposed to drink to forget, not forget to drink.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:19 pm

I recieved a dilevery in mid June and I have emptied 2 bottles from that shipment and also my regular open bottles have been dipped into as well so I think I should actually cut down. It's true sometimes you don't realise how much you are drinking with all thes open bottles around :shock:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby kapuk » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:19 pm

I can drink a whole bottle of whisky at once when I am sad but I will be in trouble the day after ! I can get out of my bed for the next three days:oops:
kapuk

A whole bottle!

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:42 pm

I wouldn't attempt to drink a whole bottle of whisky alone. :twisted: I'd hurt for too many days afterwards. :cry:
Lately in the heat, I'm down to one dram an evening and even a splash more water than normal due to the muggy weather we're enjoying. No ice yet.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:30 pm

On the very rare occation i have found my newly opened bottle empty, i never set out to finish it off in one sitting it just happened. I speak of my younger days years ago here of course. These days i like a couple or three ounces in the evenings, most days and not so much for effect as for the flavour, often accompanied by a nice cold ale and always with several bong loads of my favourite herb.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Badmonkey » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 am

Recently? Not nearly enough. Time for me to step back up to the plate.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:15 am

Long past time! Good to see yer back, monkey! Yer face is another matter. Yahoo! Badmonkey's back!
Deactivated Member

Postby Photon » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:02 pm

The season of my chronic dehydration is upon us. It's about one dram a month :(: for the next couple months.

-P.
Photon
Bronze Member

Postby dram_time » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:27 pm

Aidan wrote:I have a four or five every morning.

My Man !!!!
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Badmonkey » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:05 pm

"MrTattieHeid wrote: "Long past time! Good to see yer back, monkey! Yer face is another matter. Yahoo! Badmonkey's back!"

In all seriousness, that's what my grandmother said when I drove down to Calgary to see her last weekend. And you can't argue with grams, damnit!

Unlike the svelte Mr. T, spending time away from the drams did not improve my waistline. I blame close friends who insist on inviting me to their weddings, a natural inclination towards excess, and that piece of chocolate Wendy gave me at the Victoria Whisky Festival in January.

Cheers!
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby emondhavi » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:16 am

If all is well in my life, I drink every night. I only drink when I'm happy. But if my mind is not at ease, I'll go without it for as long as it lasts.

I never get drunk, and I've never understood those who drink "to feel happy". Drinking when I'm unhappy only makes me feel worse, not to mention that the last thing I want to do when I'm unhappy is drink.

emondhavi
emondhavi

Postby Ize » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:47 am

I do not dram every weekend but almost and never more than 3 or 4 drams at the time, drinking more would be absurd because I couldn't taste anymore all the flavours in whisky. And on very few occasions I have a dram or two on week, but that's very very rare.
Ize
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:46 pm

As George Thorogood said ......

I'm tired of putting up
With your sober wit
Tired of looking at you
Through an alcoholic haze
You better change
I'm begging you please
Cuz if you don't start drinkin'
I'm gonna leave

:lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby emondhavi » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:20 pm

Hmm ... I wonder what some of you mean by a "dram" when you say you have X number of them on a given day.

I drink my whiskey in a shot glass that holds exactly half an ounce. And I have a good 6 of those on a good night, which could come every night if, as I said before, "all is well in my life".

I try to stick to 6 because of this:

The surgeon general says that is OK for a man to have 2 drinks a day, which in the case of spirits means two 1.5 ounce shots.

So, I found this shot glass with a 1/2 ounce mark on it, and I figured, if I drink 6 of those, that equals 3 ounces, which equals the two drinks recommended by the surgeon general.

Silly, I know, to be so precisely concerned with this, but I started that a long time ago when I switched to whiskey because my doctor told me that I was on the verge of Diabetes and that "Mojitos" had too much sugar for me.

Then I started researching drinking and the blood sugar connection and I came across the above recommendation. I settled for spirits as my drink of choice because I found out that they don't contain any sugar, it all turns to alcohol, and they actually lower your blood sugar. At the time, my doctor's recommendation was: "stop drinking Mojitos, drink straight Vodka instead". I'm not into Vodka, but my need to switch led me to discover Single Malt Scotch, and I thank my doctor for that!.

My blood sugar has been under control for years now, mainly thanks to my diet and plenty of exercise, but I still stick to the 6 shots rule, mainly because after doing it for such a long time my body kind of stops wanting more after six, though occasionally, if the whiskey is good and my mood is right, I can go over that without guilt and without inebriation.

emondhavi
emondhavi

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:38 am

"Dram" is whatever you mean it to be (said the Queen of Hearts). A half ounce for one, four ounces for another. Standard UK serving is 35ml, which is about an ounce and a quarter. That's pretty much a standard serving for me. I envy you if you are satisfied with half an ounce at a time, because you can have six different things in an evening without overimbibing!
Deactivated Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder