Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How old were you when you first appreciated scotch whisky

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

20's
55%
30's
31%
40's
13%
50's
2%
Never too Old
No votes

Total votes : 64

Postby Miandi » Fri May 19, 2006 9:40 pm

In response to Lawrence's recent question, how old were you when you first began to really appreciate scotch whisky?

I don't mean how old you were when you first tasted whisky. How old were you when you tasted whisky, liked it, and started drinking it on a regular basis?
Miandi

Postby Choochoo » Fri May 19, 2006 9:59 pm

I picked my 20's, but it was really only about 2 month's before my 30th birthday when I took the big dive into the world of single malts. So aside from that technicality of a few months, the answer probably should be in my 30's.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri May 19, 2006 10:05 pm

I would have liked to have seen an option of younger than 20's. Therefore I selected 20's but it is only the 'nearest' option and not strictly correct.
Deactivated Member

Postby rthomson » Fri May 19, 2006 10:47 pm

I was in my 30's before I began to truly appreciate whisky. My 20's was spent enjoying the craftbrewing renaissance in the U.S. Actually, I'm still enjoying that and whisky has complemented it nicely.

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Fri May 19, 2006 10:57 pm

I was in my mid 20's (spiritually I'm still there :wink: ) when I seriously got into single malts. Before that I was hooked on red Bourdeux wines and I still have some exclusive bottles stowed away from that era.
I do enjoy all categories of fine spirits and don't keep to whisky alone. Red Wine, Port, Calvados & Rum are highly appreciated too.

Cheers

Postby Paul A Jellis » Sat May 20, 2006 12:24 am

Although I've been drinking whisky since my twenties, my vote was for forties. I started off with Johnny Walker Red Label and when that became unavailable in the UK I moved to Grouse, but it's only since my mid forties that I have got into malts.

Part of the reason was financial, in my younger days I could not afford malts, but now I'm in a position to enjoy and explore malts I do so at every opportunity.

I also enjoy Red Wine, Port, Madeira, Cider and the occasional beer.

Cheers, Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Sat May 20, 2006 10:22 am

I was in my mid to late twenties, when I discovered Lagavulin & Ardbeg.

For a few years I had the occasional dram and liked it... two years ago I got bit by a nasty bug whiskitis obsessis? and now the water of life take up far too much of my time in addition to making a serious dent in my cashflow.

But the ride has been a lot of fun so far - and I throughly look forward to the years ahead 8)

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat May 20, 2006 12:24 pm

I was 33 when I fell in love with Ardbeg Ten! But it was the year before that I smelled some Islay whisky and became very curious.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat May 20, 2006 12:27 pm

Hey Jan! Ya, me too, now that you give it the correct name: "WHISKITIS OBSESSIS"!! Damn contagious, but lucky it actually makes you feel good, too bad for the others around us though that don't also have it!
Di Blasi

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat May 20, 2006 1:34 pm

Makes three of us! I was 33 too - looks like it is an "old men thing" after all :wink:

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Good old U of M ...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat May 20, 2006 3:08 pm

Miandi:
First year University and it was Glenlivet 12 yo, proferred by a new friend from northern Manitoba. I was hooked for life and have always had a bottle of it in my collection. It's my baseline comfort dram when nothing else appeals. The nose takes me back 30 years to that ratty old dorm room in Tache Hall and a new friendship that extends to this day. Pete
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat May 20, 2006 3:28 pm

Forties...I had to work at it, too. Could have done with a little tutoring.
Deactivated Member

Bruce ,you done good.

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat May 20, 2006 3:48 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Forties...I had to work at it, too. Could have done with a little tutoring.

No, you've done very well on your own. Your posts are always interesting and thought enhancing. I dread to think what you'd be like with tutoring! Pete
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat May 20, 2006 4:30 pm

I was in my early 20's when I discovered Lahproaig 10 but back then I only drank scotch on special occasions of once in a while before I went to bed. I was typical scotch drinker in that I only drank Laphroaig at home and maybe would have a different dram when out to dinner. It was only in my 30's that the thirst for more knowledge really took hold. And then the collecting started. :roll:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun May 21, 2006 1:21 pm

WhiskyHammer wrote:I would have liked to have seen an option of younger than 20's. Therefore I selected 20's but it is only the 'nearest' option and not strictly correct.

Ditto
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun May 21, 2006 2:56 pm

Well, ABC is putting whisky away to give to his son on his 21st birthday, and good stuff too! So hopefully "DEF" will report back on his discovery and love for whisky in 21 years!
Di Blasi

Postby Bullie » Sun May 21, 2006 4:37 pm

I was 18 when I was properly introduced to whisky by my then brother in law. He was a scotsman, and when he was celebrating his 25:th birthday, his parents sent him a bottle of Glenmorangie 18 yo in a fancy woodenbox with glasses and some nice documentation. (Some kind of giftpack) Naturally he opened the bottle at his birthdayparty, gave me a huge dram and I was hooked for life... :lol:

Before that I'd tasted some blends and one or two inferior single malt drams (my mother always kept a bottle or two in her liqourcabinet), but they didn't please my palate at the time...
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun May 21, 2006 4:54 pm

Lucky you Bullie for having started so early! And to live in Sweden where
whisky is more popular than Cognac, blah. But that's slowly changing here in Norway luckily!
Di Blasi

Postby Jan Primus » Sun May 21, 2006 5:58 pm

I also got into scotch when I was 33. The laggie 12cs was the one that got me into scotch, and it's still a favourite (1 year later).
Jan Primus

Postby Lawrence » Sun May 21, 2006 6:07 pm

Jan Primus, welcome to the forum, yet another Canadian, I think there are about 8 of us that are active currently.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Hey Mr. T... another Canuck!

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun May 21, 2006 7:10 pm

Yes, Jan Primus, welcome to the Forum. As Lawrence says there are a few of us around the forum. I'm the token Northerner.
Laggie 12 CS is a pretty good dram to start with, you obviously are not a timid sort, eh? Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Sun May 21, 2006 7:30 pm

Di Blasi wrote:Lucky you Bullie for having started so early! And to live in Sweden where
whisky is more popular than Cognac, blah. But that's slowly changing here in Norway luckily!

Yes, Sweden is a big market for single malts... Approx. every 1 out of 4 bottles of whisky sold, is a single malt. :D But it wasn't so common in the late 80's, early 90's.

Perhaps I'll see you at the Oslo Whisky Festival in November? :)
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon May 22, 2006 12:19 am

Yes, MrFjeld and I are already planning our trip over to the Oslo Whisky Festival! I enjoyed it last year too for my first time, but was alone and didn't know many people, so I'm really looking forward to it this year with MrFjeld, and to meet you Bullie, along with others that will attend. Should be great again!
Di Blasi

Re: Bruce ,you done good.

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 22, 2006 2:09 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:Forties...I had to work at it, too. Could have done with a little tutoring.

No, you've done very well on your own. Your posts are always interesting and thought enhancing. I dread to think what you'd be like with tutoring! Pete

Well, I'd have been happy to have the two-year learning curve shortened. It's a wonder I stuck with it, really--it's only because I was so taken with the written descriptions. I don't remember a lightbulb moment, but I think the lightbulb malt was Lagavulin. I'd been to Scotland several times already, and there in the glass was the memory of all those Highland peat fires. Learning to appreciate the less sledgehammery flavors of nonIslays was another curve yet. In fact, I could do with some tutoring now, still. But hey, that's half the reason I'm here. (The other half is to make silly jokes.)
Deactivated Member

Postby Apathy78 » Mon May 22, 2006 6:17 pm

Early 20's when I started...now I love it and drink scotch everyday :D
Apathy78

Postby SeBBe » Tue May 23, 2006 9:43 am

I was first introduced to malts by my brother 2,5 years ago when I got Glemorangie 10 to my 18th birthday. I enjoyed it, but my true awakening happened just half a year ago when I bought my first single malt bottle, Talisker 10. I was hooked!

Sadly whiskyculture here is quite poor and the supply is even poorer. Most of the whisky purchases I have to make via post from Germany. The good thing in this is that everytime I buy whisky I get many new bottles at the same time. Ordering several bottles gives me savings at postage fees and it's a great excuse to my fiancée :D
SeBBe

Postby Ize » Tue May 23, 2006 12:09 pm

On my the last half of the 20's, I run into Lagavulin and the world has never been the same for me.

I did find, on my early 20's, Johnny Walker Black Label, but still I wasn't that keen (hardcore fan) on whiskies. Occasionally, once a year I bought the Black Label.
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Apathy78 » Tue May 23, 2006 1:15 pm

Ize wrote:On my the last half of the 20's, I run into Lagavulin and the world has never been the same for me.

I did find, on my early 20's, Johnny Walker Black Label, but still I wasn't that keen (hardcore fan) on whiskies. Occasionally, once a year I bought the Black Label.

I still enjoy the Black Label every now and again. It’s kind of my fall back scotch, it always seems to be around when I run out of the ‘good stuff’ :wink:
Apathy78

Postby Lawrence » Tue May 23, 2006 4:09 pm

Yes, I also like JWB but tend to drink it when I'm in a bar or on an airplane that does not have a malt selection.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby titus » Thu May 25, 2006 6:06 am

I think most of us all started out in our teens drinking whatever we could get our grubby little mits on...
For me, it was sneaking into my dads liquor cabinet (early teens) and taking a swig of whatever he had. Vodka, whisky (blend and single malt), liqueur. Of course it was not appreciated at this stage of life.

After discovering the difference in whiskies (single and blended), I decided to try the usual big brands ....they were good but still my knowledge about whisky was poor and still is!!!. Its not until recently when doing a little research i discovered this site and whooskah...the love grew. I was in a bar one time and saw a glenlivet 12 sitting on the bottle display.
I decided to order one and to my delight it was marvelous (compared to the cheap blends i've tried).
The next night i went back and ordered another, this time it was missing something, strength i think and flavour was too short.

A couple of weeks later i tried a talisker 12 after noticing it on a bottle display.
Now this was absolutely marvelous!!!!I think it outrated the glenlivet 100 fold. It was brilliant and by far my greatest and most enjoyable whisky moment.

As for the ardbegs, lagavulins, macallans, laphroigs, etc etc etc....I have yet to try these and everytime i read up on users opinions regarding these brands my mouth waters uncontrollably......

I know heaven awaits....
titus

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu May 25, 2006 4:19 pm

I was lucky enough to get the taste in my childhood however I did not start drinking whiskey till I was in my late teens. I suppose it was a statement of cool at one stage having a whiskey chaser on a cold winters night with my friends unable to comprehend how I could drink such a vile drink. But it was always going to be a drink I would part take in.

My real appreciation (and it must be said, respect) started at 23 when I formed a long and faithful relationship with Blackbush for many years. Whiskey drinking in Ireland has always been a brand loyalty situation for the majority of drinkers and I too fell into that trap for a some years. It was not until the advent of Cooley's rise to prominence that I became an afficionado of Irish whiskey in my late 20's.

However in the last couple of years I have really begun to explore all types of whisk(e)y.

It truely is the water of life for me now ................ (to be continued)
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Jan Primus » Sun May 28, 2006 10:07 pm

Lawrence wrote:Jan Primus, welcome to the forum, yet another Canadian, I think there are about 8 of us that are active currently.

Lawrence

thanks for the welcome Lawrence!
Jan Primus

Re: Hey Mr. T... another Canuck!

Postby Jan Primus » Sun May 28, 2006 10:10 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:Yes, Jan Primus, welcome to the Forum. As Lawrence says there are a few of us around the forum. I'm the token Northerner.
Laggie 12 CS is a pretty good dram to start with, you obviously are not a timid sort, eh? Muskrat Portage

thanks for the welcome Muskat Portage...must confess, when I started with the laggie, I must have had 4 or 5 isce cubes in there :oops:
Jan Primus

Re: Hey Mr. T... another Canuck!

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 31, 2006 12:38 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:I'm the token Northerner.

Only by Tronna standards! I'm sure badmonkey doesn't think of you as a northerner. :wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby Arebee » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:20 pm

I got into Single Malts in my late 20s after a very brief stint with blends. I did not enjoy any blends until I tried JW Black. A few months later I received a bottle of Laphroaig 10 as a Christmas gift and I was blown away by the complexity and flavor.

I still enjoy the JW Black on occasion and the Green is an AMAZING dram. Other than that, it's Single Malts. Not out of snobbery, but out of pure taste.
Arebee

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder