Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How old were you when you first appreciated scotch whisky

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

How old were you when you first appreciated scotch whisky

20's
55%
30's
31%
40's
13%
50's
2%
Never too Old
No votes

Total votes : 64

Postby Brian » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:05 pm

I started to really enjoy malts probably about 3mths after my 21st birthday. I went to a Masterclass put on Gordon & MacPhail’s because i had an interest in malt from when i was growing up and stealing drinks for my Father and Grandmother (both drank blends). And since then (granted it only been about 2 years) i have been hooked. Reading anything i can on it and going to any event or tasting i can get to and talking to anyone who knows anything about it.
Brian

Postby Dan G » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:56 pm

I had tried scotch a few times in my 20s, and drank lots of Canadian whisky and bourbon around the same time, mostly mixed with ginger ale or water.

At age 40, I went to Edinburgh for vacation and thought "when in Scotland, do as the Scots", and did quite a bit of imbibing - lots of miniatures - while there. It still didn't really click with me.

When I got home, I bought a bottle of Balvenie Double Wood (the one I liked most while there), thinking that I was going to give it anoter try. Within a week or so, I was hooked. I think what the problem had been in Edinburgh was that I was just trying too many different ones. When I finally settled on one and took the time to understand it, it made all the difference.
Dan G

Postby anam cara » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:23 pm

i was in my 50's - dave broom educated me about 2 years ago
anam cara

Postby lbacha » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:57 pm

I was 29 when i started to really appreciate Whisk(e)y I had been interested in whisky for quite a few years before then but really didn't know anything. My regular drams were JW Black and Jamesons 12 yr old. On ocaasion I would have Glenfiddich Special reserve.

It was 8 months ago that I had the pleasure of finding an Irish Pub in Tilburg The Netherlands that had tasings every Wed. The first tasting was the full range of connemaras and I was hooked. The next week the owner made a tasting of alternatives to the classic malts and when I tried Caol Ila I knew Islay Malts were for me. Since that time I have attended 26 of his tasings and 4 festivals. I'm a research nut so I have also spend more hours that I can count reading books and surfing the net.

I have met alot of very fine people including the members of this forum.

I look forward to meeting alot of you in person over the years.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:59 am

Cheers Len!!!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:06 pm

Frodo wrote:Cheers Len!!!

Thanks Frodo

I'm looking forward to my next business trip to Toronto and going to one of the tasting towers I keep hearing about.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:20 pm

PM me when you do! Hopefully (if I have a day off work) I could show you around, perhaps nip into Allens for a dram or two...

Edit: perhaps Wendy might have time to join us?
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:25 pm

That sounds like a good plan I will let you know.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Toronto forumers

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:03 am

lbacha wrote:That sounds like a good plan I will let you know.Len

Len:
I've heard that Frodo (aka Chris) is a terrific fellow to sample whisky with and I can guarantee that if Wendy can make it, you'll be delighted with her. She's very knowedgeable, down to earth and easy to chat with. I'd hazard that she and Chris will show you a bang up time in T.O. and provide some some great and spirited whisky chat. (...wish I could make it down from the frozen wastelands of the North, but it's 2000 klicks.) :shock:

Pete
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Toronto forumers

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:37 am

Muskrat Portage wrote: (...wish I could make it down from the frozen wastelands of the North, but it's 2000 klicks.) :shock:

Pete

I hope you have plenty stock of your own to keep yourself going.....

Sláinte Adrian
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:56 pm

(...wish I could make it down from the frozen wastelands of the North, but it's 2000 klicks.)

It really is a big country, isn't it? It would take you three days to drive to TO.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder