Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Rolls Royce of brands!

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which brand deserves the title?

Talisker
3%
Highland Park
18%
Springbank
9%
Macallan
18%
Ardbeg
12%
Lagavulin
10%
Glenfiddich
4%
Laphroaig
3%
Glenlivet
4%
Other
16%
Balvenie
3%

Total votes : 68

Rolls Royce of brands!

Postby adrian44 » Sun May 21, 2006 11:52 pm

I know this is very generalizing and that quality is where you find it. But which of those producers in your opinion has he best overall brand perception and have provided high quality with consistency?
adrian44

Postby Di Blasi » Mon May 22, 2006 12:31 am

Gosh, a tough vote here cause words I would use to describe Rolls Royce are class, elegance, old-fashion, and in a class by itself. Highland Park and Talisker and Balvenie all have a big name, but I wouldn't describe them with these words. Macallan, although not a favorite, is classic, and I assume drunk by folks driving Rolls Royces, or having their Rolls Royces driven for them while they drink the stuff in the back seat. And even if Ardbeg can carry perhaps the largest price tag of any of the listed, I'm not sure I'd say that would be the drink of choice in the back seat of a driven Rolls Royce. The Ardbeg would be what would come out late late at night after everyone has gone to bed, and the Rolls Royce has been parked for hours, on a rainy, cold, windy London night.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 22, 2006 2:15 am

Springbank. People say there's nothing like it, but it costs more than I'm willing to pay...just like a Rolls.
Deactivated Member

Rolls Royce of Brands

Postby Danny » Mon May 22, 2006 4:46 am

When viewing the results, other has recieved 40% of the votes. There are two or three in this group that I would class as the heavy weights in this type of poll. Macallan and Springbank for two.

I would like to know the brands that are getting the other votes.
Danny
Bronze Member

Rolls Royce of Brands

Postby Danny » Mon May 22, 2006 5:14 am

When viewing the results, other has recieved 40% of the votes. There are two or three in this group that I would class as the heavy weights in this type of poll. Macallan and Springbank for two.

I would like to know the brands that are getting the other votes.
Danny
Bronze Member

Postby Dubois » Mon May 22, 2006 6:40 am

Sharing first place -each very different- are: Ardbeg & Highland Park.
Dubois

Postby Apathy78 » Mon May 22, 2006 5:37 pm

For me it's the Lagavulin hands down.
So far that is the best that I have tried. :D
Apathy78

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 22, 2006 5:53 pm

I voted Glenfiddich, partly because I had such a good experience at their distillery, and partly because I have tried their entire range and not found a bad whisky among them - and the best are sublime.
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Mon May 22, 2006 6:11 pm

Macallan. Overpriced and out of fashion.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon May 22, 2006 6:13 pm

Macallan. Overpriced and out of fashion.

Good comment! There are a few other distilleries in that boat also.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Aidan » Mon May 22, 2006 6:53 pm

Highland Park. Ardbeg is very good, but way over-hyped (in my opinion, of course).
Aidan

Postby Mr Ellen » Mon May 22, 2006 7:09 pm

It's really hard to classify any of the mentioned whiskies as the "Rolls Royce" of Malts, but if it's about a matter of consistency & quality throughout the range and positive experiences at the visitor centres etc. I guess few distilleries could compete with Glenlivet.

Top scores for the entire range from most whisky writers, achieved without glossy or fancy promotion or advertisement.
No premium, -deluxe, -superfancy, -superlimited, -not available, -only for connoisseurs or -members bottlings. Highest quality whisky made for consumption.
Highest possible service at the site with the utmost competent and friendly staff available.
Extraordinary whisky at ordinary prices (with just a few exceptions).

It's subtle, reliable and well made...just like a Rolls.

It's not my favourite but I'll give them my vote for quality and consistency...always!!

Cheers

Postby Lawrence » Mon May 22, 2006 7:27 pm

Macallan gained the reputation as the Rolls Royce of maltsquite a while ago when the use of sherry casks for OB bottlings was the norm, not the exception.

The good old days. However it's a good example of the industy is not static, that distilleries rise and fall, as all businesses do.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Paul A Jellis » Mon May 22, 2006 7:46 pm

I'd say Glenfiddich, just like a Rolls - solid, elegant, a touch of class and reluctant to let you down.

A lot of the others come and go, but Glenfiddich has always been there!

Cheers, Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu May 25, 2006 3:13 pm

Highland Park for me..... I have had a few different expressions and I've loved every one. All the others have had something that is not totally to my taste so far. However maybe the fact HP does not have as much variety as some other distilleries so they are at an advantage that wa.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby lbacha » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:52 am

I went with Macallan based on their history and the fine and rare range they have but if you want to go with a the current Rolls Royce it would have to be Port Ellen. To me a Rolls Royce is a car that only has one class of model and that is expensive and exclusive. This description fits the current status of Port Ellen to a tee.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:47 am

lbacha wrote:To me a Rolls Royce is a car that only has one class of model and that is expensive and exclusive. This description fits the current status of Port Ellen to a tee.

Yes but...

Rolls Royces were designed to be luxury cars, enjoyed for what they are. Port Ellen was designed to be cheap peaty whisky for blends. Its current expensive and exclusive status was never envisaged at the time of manufacture. Perhaps Port Ellen is more like a vintage VW Beetle.
Deactivated Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:35 am

The problem with most distilleries is they have affordable whisky's in their lineup. To trully be the Rolls Royce they have to only provide high-end exclusive whisky. Take for example Lagavulin and Springbank both their standard expressions 16yr and 10yr respectivly are higher priced than most but that is a matter of supply and demand and underestimating the market a few years back. For a distiller to compare to Rolls Royce they need to only sell exclusive whisky that only the well off (or whisky nuts like ourselves) are willing to pay for.

I know this is taking the thread a little far but what the heck it's all for fun and conversation anyways.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:56 am

Analogies only go so far. Frankly, I don't think any distillery compares to Rolls Royce, really. It's just a different business. But go ahead and have fun with it.
Deactivated Member

Postby WestVanDave » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:23 am

OK - with little rhyme or reason I'll call Springbank the Rolls Royce and Ardbeg the Bentley (i.e., turbocharged) and then look to apply the Ferrari / Lamborghini labels next ...
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Dubois » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:06 am

Highland Park as a Rolls Royce,
Ardbeg & Lagavulin as Bentley's... :wink:
Dubois

Postby Frodo » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:22 pm

I dunno. I've been blown away any time I've tried PE's (2 bottlings). The title of a Rolls Royce does seem to fit from my perspective...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:13 pm

Dubois wrote:Highland Park as a Rolls Royce,

I'd have Highland Park down as a Mini Cooper S - it looks dead smart and goes very fast.
Deactivated Member

Postby WestVanDave » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:25 pm

Nick Brown wrote:
Dubois wrote:Highland Park as a Rolls Royce,

I'd have Highland Park down as a Mini Cooper S - it looks dead smart and goes very fast.

Any comments Harry???
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:49 pm

Has Harry got a Mini Cooper S too?
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:48 pm

For any whisky to be finished quickly, the cork should stay off so it's ready to pour at any time, thus my MINI is a convertible, driven with the top down even in the dead of winter :D

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:59 am

What a choice. Every stable should have one of each.
The image of Rolls Royce though is rather stuffy. Even with updated models they still seem clumsy and they are not particularly good looking cars. What they stand for is wealth - so suppose a Rolls Royce whisky may be a Dalmore 62 yo for example.
No doubt brilliant to drive occasionally, but you'd actually prefer an Aston or Jag and if the Rolls is crashed, it probably won't be replaced.
Deactivated Member

Other

Postby jamiepotter » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:35 pm

The obvious contender in the 'Other' category is Brora. If money were no object, I'm sure this is the whisky people would drink.

Having said that, my choice would still be Glenlivet. I think Glenlivet actually advertise themselves as the Rolls Royce of malts, and with some justification. Although people bitch about its finish being too short, whilst it's there, it's generally pretty darn good. Complex, fruity, light-bodied, yummy. It certainly feels quite exquisite in a way that many an Islay or Highland whisky would struggle to. I mean, I love Laphroig for instance, but it's a slut of a whisky, not a classy number.
jamiepotter

Postby Jan » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:34 pm

Well, after giving this some thought, I've reached the conclusion that the Rolls Royce of malts is..... a blend.

I see RR as a car you drive (or are driven in), if you are rich and you want to show your status to the world.

So the whisky equivalent would be JW Blue Label :wink:

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

The Glenlivet

Postby African Peatmonger » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:43 pm

The Glenlivet is the Rolls for me, not as macho as the Ferrari and not as standard as the Mercedes. That being said: Ardbeg is a 747 Rolls Royce jet engine :twisted: .
African Peatmonger

Postby Thomas H. » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:21 pm

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say...

Glenrothes.

I really like their whisky. I think it has class and style.
Thomas H.

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:34 am

Thomas H. wrote:I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say...

Glenrothes.

I really like their whisky. I think it has class and style.

I agree they have some crackin' whiskies ... I love them too. Way nicer than Macallan for me.

Or ardbeg for that matter but I prefer to compare islay to Islay and maybe a few islands. However Highland Park I would compare favourably against Macallan also.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby jobert82 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:14 am

Difficult, but when I think of the new Rolls Royce Phantom I'ld probably name it robust but complex, in some way subtle, leaving the smell of burnt rubber....

Must be an older Ardbeg. :D
And when I think of the price: maybe the new Ardbeg 1965?

No way I can affort it. :?
I'll stick to my lagavulin DE 1987, my 18y old Talisker and a Balvenie portwood...

Cheers Jobert

Great forum by the way!
jobert82

Postby scoobypl » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:47 pm

Very difficult question to answer I think...
I would draw an arbitrary line between anything bottled before (rougly) 1995, and anything bottled after that...
Before 1995 I would call Springbank, Macalllan, Glenfarclas, Highland Park, Strathisla en Glenrothes the RR and Bentley's of their time, with Talisker, Laphroaig and Lagavulin the Lamborghini's... Those whisky's had panache, had an aura, had character! They had flaws to, but they were great and incomparable...

after 1995 I think there are no more Rolls Royces left...maybe a number of Mercedes Benz S-classes... but no RR! Glenfarclas, HIghland Park, Ardbeg (although they took a big blow with that farce "1965" ) Talisker, Laga, Pulteney, Longmorn, Glenrothes and even Benriach... These are still the best you can get, but they've lost some of their soul...maybe technically they are better then ever...but they have become a bit duller and a bit more "detatched"....

Does this make any sense?
scoobypl

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:24 am

I don't know...but I'm curious to know why you think the Ardbeg '65 is a farce.

Oh, wrong thread. I'll go check the other--probably you said your piece there.
Deactivated Member

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder