Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

If you had to choose between these, which would you chose

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Lagavulin 16yr
66%
Oban 14yr
3%
Laphroaig 10 yr
22%
Cragganmore 12yr
9%

Total votes : 58

Postby Apathy78 » Mon May 22, 2006 5:18 pm

If you had to choose between these, which would you chose?
Also which would be your last choice?

Mine would have the Lagavulin 16yr at the top and the Cragganmore 12yr at the bottom.
Apathy78

Postby Lawrence » Mon May 22, 2006 5:28 pm

Why? Do you have to choose?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby PuckJunkie » Mon May 22, 2006 5:30 pm

Had to go with the Lagavulin 16, it's been my favorite malt for years now. To be fair, I haven't tried the Cragganmore, but I doubt I find it a replacement for any Islay malt in my mind.

Puck

P.S. By the way, that's the first time I've seen that quote attributed to Voltaire; I always thought it was Twain.
PuckJunkie
Bronze Member

Postby Dubois » Mon May 22, 2006 5:49 pm

No doubt, I would go for Lagavulin 16 Yrs which is one of the TOP on the market for years.
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Mon May 22, 2006 6:09 pm

I said the Lagavulin but comparing it to Cragganmore is not that fair. They are different whiskies for different times.

That said, I just had a Cragganmore 10yo CS and just poured a Lagavulin 12yo CS and neither one is a real favorite, neither will be replaced at least right away. They've spent more time on my shelf than most whiskies. Just my opinion but you might want to broaden your list a bit.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Apathy78 » Mon May 22, 2006 6:13 pm

PuckJunkie wrote:Had to go with the Lagavulin 16, it's been my favorite malt for years now. To be fair, I haven't tried the Cragganmore, but I doubt I find it a replacement for any Islay malt in my mind.

Puck

P.S. By the way, that's the first time I've seen that quote attributed to Voltaire; I always thought it was Twain.

Thanks, I fixed it...must have been in a rush when I set this up. :wink:
Apathy78

Postby Aidan » Mon May 22, 2006 6:51 pm

I'd go for the Lagavulin, because it's so bloody good. My next choice would be the Cragganmore 12.
Aidan

Postby Choochoo » Mon May 22, 2006 7:25 pm

For me, it’s the Frogger 10yo by far – A big original character while being easy drinking.

The Cragganmore and Oban are OK, but nothing exceptional

And I know this is a sacrilege, but the finish of Lagavulin is a bit off-putting to me. Too much tar, and I’ve found it to be a little bitter. :(
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 22, 2006 7:55 pm

I went for Oban because I like the new peary flavour. Lagavulin has never done it for me and it used to taste really soapy (as did Oban in its pre-pear days). Laphroaig is officially not as good as it used to be, and I had a bottle of Cragganmore about 15 years ago that made absolutely no impression on me - can't remember a thing - so it can't have been that special.

IMO, there are far more interesting whiskies in this price bracket, and you could do worse than start with a Ben Nevis 10.
Deactivated Member

Postby Jan » Mon May 22, 2006 8:09 pm

Lagavulin 16 for me. Always!

Laphroaig is a great peat whisky and while always be a favourite I think...
I have recently discovered Cragganmore and look very much forward to exploring this fine dram. Oban I do not know very well, but was not enamoured when I tasted it last time.

But the Laga were my first love in the world of whisky and I will always cherish this excellent dram.

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Apathy78 » Mon May 22, 2006 8:16 pm

Jan wrote:Lagavulin 16 for me. Always!

Laphroaig is a great peat whisky and while always be a favourite I think...
I have recently discovered Cragganmore and look very much forward to exploring this fine dram. Oban I do not know very well, but was not enamoured when I tasted it last time.

But the Laga were my first love in the world of whisky and I will always cherish this excellent dram.

Cheers
Jan

I tried the Cragganmore 12 yr over the weekend for the first time.
This is a pretty good scotch, while not the best but not to shabby either. The taste to me was pretty darn smooth, a bit sweet and very light smoke. A bit more of a smokey taste may have brought this higher on my personal list though.
Overall once this bottle is gone, I would pick up another. :wink:
Apathy78

Postby Mr Ellen » Mon May 22, 2006 8:17 pm

Why choose when you can have them all? :wink:

Each of these whiskies has its moments and it's not fair to compare Lagavulin 16 with Cragganmore 12. Two complete different whiskies, both excellent.

Cheers

Postby Apathy78 » Mon May 22, 2006 8:23 pm

Mr Ellen wrote:Why choose when you can have them all? :wink:

Each of these whiskies has its moments and it's not fair to compare Lagavulin 16 with Cragganmore 12. Two complete different whiskies, both excellent.

Cheers

I agree…basically these 4 were my weekend and going into the weekend, the Lagavulin was my favorite and coming out of the weekend it is still my favorite. I wanted to see what the opinions of other scotch drinkers out there were. :wink:
The only one I left off that I had this weekend was the Macallan 10 yr Fine Oak.
Apathy78

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Mon May 22, 2006 10:28 pm

No question for me. The Lagavulin 16 is by far my favorite whisky.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 23, 2006 12:09 am

Lagavulin was the first whisky I loved, but I haven't enjoyed it the last few times I had it.

No vote.
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue May 23, 2006 3:58 am

I too chose Lagavulin 16y old! That's because I like the smoke! But between these there are obvious differeces which I'm sure you're aware of. Although in the past I tasted Oban 14y a few times, I never cared for it. Finally the other night I tried it again, and finally liked it. Once again I must say mood, right! I'll have to taste the Cragganmore 12y again too.
Di Blasi

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Tue May 23, 2006 9:25 am

Lagavulin 16 yo and Laphroaig 10 yo are two amazing peated whiskies, although recent “Port Ellen” Lagavulin is not good like the past “White Horse” version, and recent Laphroaig 10 yo is 40%, slighter than the past one. If you wish to have a rest from peat, Cragganmore 12 yo is a very fine Speyside-like whisky. I have drunk Oban 14 yo last month: it’s a fine brand, but I put it at the bottom of the list.
Bye
Luca
laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby Apathy78 » Tue May 23, 2006 1:35 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Lagavulin was the first whisky I loved, but I haven't enjoyed it the last few times I had it.

No vote.

So what whisky have you been drinking latley?
Apathy78

Postby Steve Rush » Tue May 23, 2006 9:19 pm

Though I'm from the school of thought that wouldn't rule out any of the above, each whisky for a different mood and occassion and so on I would have to vote for the old faithfull Lag 16yr.
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 24, 2006 1:05 am

Apathy78 wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:Lagavulin was the first whisky I loved, but I haven't enjoyed it the last few times I had it.

No vote.

So what whisky have you been drinking latley?

See "Weather Report" under Whisky Chat. Excerpt:

Perhaps inspired by the egregious mutability of the weather, I have been having a tiny dram of each open bottle since I got home--the Tonga Valinch, Signatory Vintage Islay 5yo, Cadenheads Clynelish, Glenrothes '92, and Balvenie PortWood. Oh, I forgot the Highland Park 25! Well, I won't pour it on top of the others at this point.
Deactivated Member

Postby lexvo » Wed May 24, 2006 5:47 pm

For me, the Lagavulin. Because this happens to be my favourite whisky at this moment :) The other three are nice too in my opinion.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Wed May 24, 2006 5:50 pm

The only one of the four that raises my eyebrows is the Laga. I'd buy the Craggenmore or Laphroaig in a pinch if the store I was at was short on options, but the Oban is just priced too high around here for what's in the bottle (for me, that is).
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu May 25, 2006 3:56 pm

Laphroaig 10 yr for me... I like the leatherness of Lagavulin too but Laphroaig shades it. Oban is okay and I have not tried the Cragganmore
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby MacLover » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:03 am

Tough choice between the Laga and the Laphroaig, but for day in and day out I opt for the Laphroaig.
MacLover

Postby DramMeister » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:22 pm

Had a lot of Laga and Laph recently. Never really enjoyed Cragganmore that much. So Oban, I don't drink it often but i always enjoy it
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby papadon » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:37 am

Only my second post here, but plenty of single malts and other beverages under my belt (literally).

this one is easy for me -- I'd rank them as follows:

Lagavulin (one of my absolute favorites, with Ardbeg as the stiffest competitor)
Laphroaig (in the top 5)
Oban (in the top 20)
Cragganmore (somewhere pretty far down the scale)

Papadon
papadon

Postby Mad Mac » Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:43 am

I love 'em all, but if I HAD to vote for one it would be the Laphroaig 10. Lagavulin would come in second, but I wish you had added Ardbeg 10 and Highland Park 18 to the list!

Mac
Mad Mac

Postby papadon » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:51 pm

Mad Mac Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:43 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love 'em all, but if I HAD to vote for one it would be the Laphroaig 10. Lagavulin would come in second, but I wish you had added Ardbeg 10 and Highland Park 18 to the list!

Mac

Excellent point! Add the HP 18 and the Ardbeg 10 to the list, and I'd have a much harder time ranking them. You'd have to put a gun to my head to make me choose between Lagavulin 16 and the HP 18, with the Ardbeg 10 just a half step back. Another malt that I love, but can rarely afford (as with the HP 18) is the Ardbeg Uigeadail.

Papadon

(New boy on the block question -- how do you do the box thingy to include another person's comments?)
papadon

Postby Mad Mac » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:49 am

papadon wrote:Mad Mac Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:43 pm Post subject:

(New boy on the block question -- how do you do the box thingy to include another person's comments?)

No problem Papa - in the upper right corner of the message there is a "quote" button. You simply click the quote button of the post you want to reference and you will be taken to the "post a reply screen" You simply edit the previous text then enter your own comments below. Click on "submit" and you're tere.

Enjoy!
Mac
Mad Mac

Postby Frodo » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:02 am

If I'm buying, here's my order...

-Laphoaig 10
-Lagavulin
-Craggenmore
-Oban

If the bottle is being handed to me...

-Lagavulin
-Oban
-Craggenmore
-Laphroaig
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby lexvo » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:31 am

Lagavulin 16Y for me. It is my favourite whisky. Second would be Laphroaig.

Oban and Craggenmore are good whiskies too, but the other two are special for me.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:39 pm

I voted for the Laphroaig.

Lagavulin just isn't the dram for me, I have no idea why, but I just can't get into this one.

The Cragganmore I find quite normal but not special and the Oban, well, just insignificant.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:12 am

I voted for the Laphroaig but that was only after a dram of each in a pub.

I have now changed to Lagavulin 16 as the fore runner... its more interesting for me at the moment.
irishwhiskeychaser

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder