Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Your favorite Caol Ila

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which Caol Ila have you enjoyed the most?

Caol Ila 12 Yrs
33%
Caol Ila 18 Yrs
13%
Caol Ila Cask Strength
17%
Other
38%

Total votes : 24

Your favorite Caol Ila

Postby Dubois » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:37 pm

Which Caol Ila have you enjoyed the most?

For me, it is Caol Ila 12 Yrs.
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:51 pm

I voted the 18, I tasted the NAS Caol Ila Cask Strength last year and had the feeling that it was not quite done. Recently in Calgary I saw a new version that was not chill filtered and without caramel, I have to presume it will be a little better.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Frodo » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:36 pm

I'd have to say 12yr Auld Reekie from Duncan Taylor at this moment. I've had a good one from Signatory as well. Of the OB's, I like the CS the best - very much what Caol Ila is like with some pretty nice rough edges. Had a sample of the 18 once and was not impressed. Had the 12 a couple of times and I found it "OK" but not special or recommendable in any way - especially not for the origional price!

Am keeping my eyes on the CS stock at the LCBO. It has been discontinued - all 3 OB's are discontinued - and I might pick up a bottle if the price goes down enough.

Lord P., if you really like the Dun Bheagan 8yr with all it's rough edges, I recommend the Caol Ila CS bottling. Right now it's $90 and going down. At $75, I'm getting a bottle.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby aarkwilde » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:31 pm

I was given a bottle of the 18 but haven't opened it. I'm going to hold onto it until I have a bottle of the 12 so I can compare them. I've heard the 18 is less then impressive, but good things about the younger expression.

I'm looking forward to trying them both when I finally purchase the second bottle. As of yet I haven't tried any Caol Ila, so hitting them both in the same evening will be a fun experience.
aarkwilde

Your Favorite Caol Ila

Postby Danny » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:18 am

I voted for the 12 year old, simply because I have drank more of it than other espression. My daughter just returned from a 10 month stay in Japan and brought an 18 year expression home for me.

I had my first dram this evening, and although I had read some less than glowing notes on it, I was impressed. :D

Nose: Peat, an undertone of citrus and just a hint of flat water;
Taste: Lovely sweet fruit opening, mild peat and lightly smoked fish, then comes on spicy in the finish;
Finish: Medium long, lingering sweet fruits, over taken by a peppery spiciness. The peat, does not play much role in the finish, but more in the middle.

Not as aggresive as the 12 in my memory, will taste them beside each other later, perhaps this week. :wink:
Danny
Bronze Member

Postby Bullie » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:39 am

I've had several excellent independant bottlings, and I prefer the G&MP Cask Strenght series 1991. And the new Caol Ila Highland 8yo CS OB is brilliant.
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:24 am

I tasted the 15y Flora and Fauna last year and remember it being outstanding! Also the Douglas McGibbon Provenance Winter Distillation 10y is very nice. The OB 18 year old has a great nose, but lacks everything in the mouth.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:15 pm

Di Blasi wrote:The OB 18 year old has a great nose, but lacks everything in the mouth.

I agree 100% with this assessment...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:49 pm

Bullie wrote:I've had several excellent independant bottlings, and I prefer the G&MP Cask Strenght series 1991. And the new Caol Ila Highland 8yo CS OB is brilliant.

I have also found the young G and M bottelings wonderful (I have bought the G and M Binnys casks, from binnys in Chicago.). Wonderful brightness of the peat. I also love the 12 y/o, which I can get for $25 when I come back in the country from travel to Central America.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:17 pm

Any SMWS Caol Ila !
Oh and the 2 25yo O.B.'s !
BTW the new 53.100 is an absolute peat monster .....HUGE !!!!!

Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder