Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Your favorite whisky-region

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Lowlands
9%
Speyside
26%
Northern Highlands
11%
Western Highlands
No votes
Orkney
3%
Skye
3%
Islay
43%
Campbeltown
6%

Total votes : 35

Postby Dubois » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:35 am

What is your favorite whisky-region and why?
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:59 am

I'm not sure. Maybe Islay, because of Lagavulin and Bowmore, but there's more variety in the highlands etc.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:05 pm

Unfashionable as it may be, my favourite whisky region is the Lowlands. I love the Pentland Hills; the east coast down to St Abb's Head and the Devils' Beef Tub. Galloway has some lovely coast too. And then there's Edinburgh. Spectacularly beautiful and also home! Never forget Fife, either. St Andrews is a lovely city, especially on a sunny day. Some of the fishing villages around the East Neuk are lovely, and the secret nuclear bunker near Anstruther is a creepy but compelling attraction. I don't know Glasgow or Ayrshire that well, but I'm sure others will fill in the blanks.

That's why the Lowlands is my favourite whisky region.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:08 pm

I was in St. Andrews and it was really lovely. I just went there to have a look at the golf course. We went in September (I think), and the place was a bit dead, though.
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:15 pm

Aidan wrote:I was in St. Andrews and it was really lovely. I just went there to have a look at the golf course. We went in September (I think), and the place was a bit dead, though.

I was there a couple of years ago too and same story. But I think that is the beauty of it, nothing happening unless there is some mad golf tournament on.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Aidan » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:19 pm

That's probably it. Maybe the university was closed at the time too.

I might be going back to Islay in October - I'll have to see how things go.
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:31 pm

I voted for Skye for the laugh as Talisker is my fave at the mo but I love some of hte Islay and a favourite of mine is also in Speyside so it is hard to be honestabout it
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:05 pm

It's nice to visit Speyside and Islay for the concentration of distilleries. But, since I don't really buy the idea of regional characteristics, the question is not meaningful to me.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:20 pm

Speyside is pleasant but not as specrtacular as parts of the Highlands. In the autumn (Fall for our friends in the colonies :)) Perthshire is very pleasant, but it seems to have been excluded from the list of regions.
Deactivated Member

Postby lexvo » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:53 pm

Do you mean favourite region landscape-wise or based on the whisky? I voted based on the whisky :), because Lagavulin, Ardbeg and Laphroaig belong to my favourite whiskies.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:06 pm

I'm sure he means based on the whisky. Nick is just being typically Nicky! 8)
Deactivated Member

Postby Dubois » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:18 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I'm sure he means based on the whisky. Nick is just being typically Nicky! 8)

Indeed, it is based on whisky :!:
Dubois

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:44 am

I fell in love with whisky when I sniffed Ardbeg Ten! Prior to that, the few whiffs I do remember catching of other smoky style southern Islays made me curious. Islay for sure is my favorite spot, but I've had some other excellent and top whiskies from other regions.
Di Blasi

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:17 am

For Whisky , Scenery , The ambience and the people , Islay wins hands down !

Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Choice based on drams...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:15 pm

I too pick Islay because of the whisky. I've never been allowed to go visit any of the distilleries when I've travelled with friends in Scotland, probably because they feared I'd never leave, so I can only base my choice on product not the premises of the producer. Yet.
M.P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:05 pm

Sorry - can't answer this one.
Every region has fantastic whisky and is of equal value. Whilst there may be a higher concentration of distilleries in one place from another it by no means indicates higher quality or better flavour.
My favourite region therefore, is Scotland - but then I may be biased :wink: !
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:27 pm

Crieftan wrote:Every region has fantastic whisky and is of equal value. Whilst there may be a higher concentration of distilleries in one place from another it by no means indicates higher quality or better flavour.

Some people might suggest that Glenrinnes is not a good region for whisky. Or Laurencekirk.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:35 pm

Nick Brown wrote:
Crieftan wrote:Every region has fantastic whisky and is of equal value. Whilst there may be a higher concentration of distilleries in one place from another it by no means indicates higher quality or better flavour.

Some people might suggest that Glenrinnes is not a good region for whisky. Or Laurencekirk.

Who are these people Nick? Don't they like Glen Keith or Fettercairn?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:41 pm

I suspect they were thinking of Allt a'Bhainne rather than Glen Keith, although I don't suppose you'd get far holding up Glen Keith to counter their argument.
Deactivated Member

Postby ryoma » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:46 pm

Favorite whisky-region???
Well, there is missing JAPAN in this vote! :wink:
ryoma

Postby Bullie » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:40 pm

Another one of those impossible polls to answer. The different regions all have their qualitys. They all have ups and downs... You should have had the option of all. ;)

My shelf here at home has approx. the same variety as there are distilleries. Most Speysiders, followed by Highland, Islay, Lowland and Campbeltown. But not for the taste but for the amount of distilleries in the different region. (I aim for at least one bottle from every distillery available)
Bullie
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder