Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Do synthetic stoppers or screw caps turn you off?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Are corks the best solution for capping whisk(e)y bottles?

I think corks should be the only thing to cap a whisk(e)y bottle.
17%
I prefer corks, but don't mind synthetic stoppers.
8%
I prefer corks, but synthetic stoppers and screw caps are fine with me.
22%
I prefer corks, and I would not like anything else to cap my whisky bottle.
6%
I prefer synthetic stoppers, but screw tops should stay off of whisk(e)y
8%
I prefer synthetic stoppers, but screw tops are alright as well.
No votes
I think everyone should move to synthetic stoppers.
3%
I prefer screw tops, but synthetic stoppers are alright as well.
8%
I think everyone should move to screw tops.
3%
I would like to see corks go away; synthetic stoppers and screw tops are both viable alternatives.
3%
It does not matter to me what is used to cap my bottle of whisk(e)y.
22%
Other (Please Specify).
No votes

Total votes : 36

Do synthetic stoppers or screw caps turn you off?

Postby Thesh » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:03 am

I have a bottle of Blanton's with a fairly noticeable vertical gap starting at the top of the cork and going 75% of the way down to the bottom, and I highly doubt the integrity of this for long term storage. I just today had the cork on a bottle of Peter Jake's Private Keep start to break. All of the corks on my various scotches are dry, as they have been sitting during the summer while my bourbons, ryes, and canadians get my focus.

Now personally, I could care less if the bottle has a screw top, or a synthetic stopper. I just don't feel that cork is a really good material. It dries out, becomes brittle, and can taint the whiskey. I would love to see corks start to disappear, but I don't see it happening as corks are more eloquent.

Pendleton has a good compromise by making the stopper out of rubber. It provides a good seal, it doesn't have that cheapness that a screw top gives, and it will hold up over time.
Thesh
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:27 am

I don't really mind what is on it, but I do kind of like screwcaps on whisky.

Cork is getting more expensive, apparently, so maybe synthetic is the way to go. I have never had whisky from a bottle with a synthetic cork, so I don't know if it affects the whisky etc., though.

Which is most prone to evapouration?
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:36 am

I voted that I did not care what kept my bottle closed.

Basically I suppose people love the soun og te bottle poping when the cork its pulled but you can g tthat from a synthetic cork. I had one on a Japanesse bottle and it did a great job. Nothing like the synthetic corks on wine, more plastic than rubber or foam. Screw caps are very good at their job too. However I've only ever once had an issue with real cork so don't find that bad either.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby arnehd » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:57 pm

Since I keep the corks of the bottles consumed , I just don't think that screw caps look as good in the collection . I haven't had problems with cork so far , but with wine I've encountered some bad examples . Ok , the wines with synthetic corks where not as good as some of the great ones with the original thing , but I guess thats because the greater wines I have tried where produced by rather conservative winemakers . Since I don't want to have problems with corky whisky in the future , I'd just prefer a transition to synthetic stoppers ( that is of course , unless the future shows that the high amount of alkohol in whisky dissolves and absorbs the softeners and other chemical additives in the synthetic stoppers) . By the way , I just read a disscussion where the cork ruined a lot of bottles in what otherwise would have been a high class absinthe , but that is a different story ...

Auf Euer Wohl , Arne
arnehd

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:16 pm

I don't really care, but the synthetic stopper in my Glenrothes '92 seems kind of weird, and somehow contributes to the impression that it is a lesser Glenrothes. The thought that they would use real cork if they considered it worthy is entirely irrational, of course. Does real cork have any advantages, other than seeming to be organic and traditional?
Deactivated Member

Postby scoobypl » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:39 pm

From a purely esthetic viewpoint I prefer Cork Stoppers... They are the most romantic... :P
However, I do think a good Screw Cap is the very best thing when it comes to preserving the whisky. If they are good, and are maintained correctly, they allow the least possible evaporation, oxidation aso. Also the chance of having a whisky tasting of cork is nill. (doesn't happen often, but it does happen!)
Since I like my whisky for drinking, and not esthetical reasons...it's Screw caps for me :wink:

Scooby
scoobypl

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:26 pm

Can't say I'm too concerned but: The traditional corks look good but the synthetic makes sense - as do screwcaps. I happen to like screwcaps and if the experience from the wine industry could be applied to the spirit industry the latter one should convert to screwcaps. The wine stays fresher and the number of "bad" bottles are reduced significantly. The Glenfarclas 12yo even looks cool with the screwcap.
....so I'll go with screwcaps!

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:27 pm

I hadn't really thought about it. It's always been away of distiguishing between blends and malts if you can't see the label but other than that.........
I suppose it adds to the romanticism of SMW. I think though, as emerging markets develop, the screwtop will more than likely take over.
Deactivated Member

Postby maverick » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:20 pm

I don't really care what kind of stopper a bottle of good whiskey has as long as it's good. Design wise however, I like cork stoppers because it looks nicer than screwtops. I also have this tradition that when I open a bottle I like to smell the cork, why I don't really know but I think I heard read about it somwhere and I've been doing it ever since. In comparison, trying to smell a screwtop is kind of pointless which is why I prefer cork stoppers
maverick

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:56 pm

Bad whisky would turn me off, but I don't mind what kind of seal or stopper is used so long as it works!

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:57 pm

I smell the cork, too, but it's kind of silly as the cork ought not to be wet, and certainly ought not to have been in constant contact with the contents, as a wine cork will have been. But I suppose it might well absorb some vapors.

I think we discussed once before the fact that screw tops tend to be rather flimsy, a concern when the bottle will be opened and closed many more times than a wine bottle, and will be on the shelf much longer. I am starting to think, though, that a well-designed screw top is the way to go. As in the wine industry, however, resistance to the traditional cork is strong. It has a long-standing association with quality in the mind, while the screw top seems to say "cheap". It will take an unquestioned quality leader to change the zeitgeist, one who will say "We use screw tops because we care about the product", and will have the credibility to be believed.
Deactivated Member

Postby CHy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:52 pm

Vote for corks only- a good excuse to finish the bottle if the cork is compromised :lol: [/img]
CHy

Cork or fake?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:51 pm

I prefer cork in my whisky bottle. I understand there is a shortage of cork at present, which strikes me as odd as it is a renewable resource, is it not? I have no complaints about synthetic corks and many of the Australian and New Zealand wines I enjoy seem to use them with no ill effect.

I have had a bottle or two where the cork disintegrated or cracked but then it was a reason to finish off the whisky. Personally, I simply prefer the look of real cork.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Jan » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:07 am

It does not matter much to me. As long as there is a tight seal, I'm perfectly happy with screwcaps.

The few screwcap bottles I have owned has not developed any problems due to frequent use. I have never had a synthetic stopper bottle though.

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder