Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Highland Park - For ladies only!

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Is Highland Park a lassies drink?

Yes - it's really not a masculine whisky at all
2%
Rubbish - Its one of the best whiskies around
88%
Er....... I don't know
11%

Total votes : 56

Highland Park - For ladies only!

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:32 pm

I've heard it said the Highland Park is a "girls" whisky because it is so smooth and "non-challenging" unlike a full bodied Talisker or 'phroig!

Personally I have never encountered such tosh (no offence Toshie :) ) in my entire whisky drinking career. To my mind it will take on all comers - one at a time, or all at once - it's all the same. However, it got me thinking as to the general perception that folk have of whisky.

So the question is, is Highland Park a lassies drink or one for everyone.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:55 pm

I don't think the good people at Highland Park had a profile in mind when they started distilling. Surely they just wanted to produce the best product they could. Its a drink for everyone, just depends on your mood when you drink it.
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:00 pm

Obviously the person that said that has not tried a single cask, cask strength version of HP. The only way it's girlie is it'd take the hair off your chest :wink:

But I think the 12, 18 & 25yo are also grand drams and not in any way light weight. For me just because a whiskey does not have the peat explosion of some of the Islays does not mean it does not have a great flavour.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Ize » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:06 pm

I almost literally laughed my ass off when I saw this poll. There are a lot flavours in HPs and separating them into pieces is not for novices. And in my opinion, it has peat in it, but it lacks the bitter sharp smoke part of it but it does have that nicely rounded tar aroma in it.
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:20 pm

I'm not sure lassies should be drinking whisky at all. Surely they should be sticking to the Vermouth or Lambrini.

In the saloon bar.
Deactivated Member

Postby Bullie » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:58 pm

Eh... With a risk of offending someone;

That was the most stupid thing I've ever heard about Highland Park. Were does this derive from??? Who came up with it? :shock:

I can only agree with irishwhiskeychaser and Ize. It's complex, wonderful in taste, peaty and smokey. The harmony in it is hard to beat...

Of course I voted NO.
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:08 pm

girls probably know a lot more about whisky than boys.
Aidan

Postby Drrich1965 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:02 pm

Regardless of gender issues (and my wife happens to like Lagavulin and totally dislikes more gentle drams), HP 18 is one of my favorite every day malts. It is wonderfully complelx and rich.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:13 pm

Rumour has it that HP 30 is particularly scarring on a man's masculinity...please send all bottlings to... :wink:
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:15 pm

Maybe that's why a lot of scotsmen wear skirts.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:34 pm

This has long been said of Cardhu--the bottle is supposed to resemble a perfume bottle. I don't understand why anyone would want to think of consumable items like whisky as masculine or feminine, but then again I don't understand a lot of things that women do, or men either. It's easy to look at Wendy (yes, it is) as an example of a woman who appreciates whisky as well as any man, and better than most, but it takes only a quick look around this forum to realize that she is the exception. Women and men like different things, and I am amazed at the silly things I see women, with their presumed superior palates, ordering in bars (just as they are amazed that I prefer the bitterest beer available; just as I am amazed that anyone, male or female, can stand to drink light beer). Are there inherent taste differences, or is it all down to culture, learned gender roles, and marketing? At least a bit of all, I suppose, and we can argue about how much of what until the end of time. And we will.

HP a girlie whisky? Crieftan, you need to stop hanging out with the rugby lads all the time!
Deactivated Member

Postby lexvo » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:36 pm

Well, my wife likes Laphroiag 10 so there you go :) She doesn't like Ardbeg however.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:42 pm

My other half drank all her Ardbeg samples straight from the cask with gusto, her 1979 & 1980 Lagavulin also, right along with all the other men on our recent tour.

There may be a perception by some people that women like lighter spirits but it's not case. It's pretty difficult to pigeon hole people when it comes to such a broad range of tastes.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:57 pm

If anybody was brave enough to tell me my HP was girlie to my face they'd quickly get a clatter of my hand bag :D
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Lawrence » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:03 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:If anybody was brave enough to tell me my HP was girlie to my face they'd quickly get a clatter of my hand bag :D

:D Excellent!

:lol: :D :lol:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Drrich1965 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:02 pm

Also, I had a recent HP 34 yo single cask form Binnys (at the Dundee Dell in Omaha) that easily made my all time top ten. Amazing malt...
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:26 pm

"Is Highland Park a lassies drink?"

You must be kidding... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Dubois

Postby pouranother » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:41 pm

I suppose Laphroaig CS or Ardbeg Uigeadial is only for wife-beaters?
I cant'believe this is even being dicussed.
pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:40 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
HP a girlie whisky? Crieftan, you need to stop hanging out with the rugby lads all the time!

:roll: Never said it was and I hung up my boots ..........crikey 20 years ago :shock:

I read it in an article - I think the Herald a few days/weeks ago and it stuck with me for some reason. Apparently HP, in some circles, is viewed as whisky drunk really by the female of our species. As you'll see from my comments, I think this is absolute nonsense.

Whilst I handn't intended the thread to go down a "Whisky is a male drink" route, it does perhaps still highlight an image problem that the whisky industry has. Too many see it as the "hard man's"drink, but few seem to realise that women generally have better noses than men - Mrs C is way ahead of me and it matters not a jot who drinks it!

The poll is a bit tongue in cheek but does appear to have kicked something off a bit. :twisted:
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:03 pm

I wonder how much of the response is along the lines of "It's not a ladies' drink--I wouldn't drink it if it was!" :wink: But I think most of us feel that HP, and any whisky, is just peachy for anyone to drink. On the occasions when some marketing genius tries to think of some way to make whisky more appealing to women, it almost always comes across as patronizing. Quality drink is quality drink. Well, that's the theory. The real world is a confusing place.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:08 pm

Ain't that the truth - and my my, doesn't HP 18 just hit the spot :D
Deactivated Member

Re: Highland Park - For ladies only!

Postby toshie » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:03 pm

Crieftan wrote:Personally I have never encountered such tosh (no offence Toshie :) ) in my entire whisky drinking career

None taken. And I'm sure the other tosh, gerry of that ilk, would disagree that his HP is a lassie's drink. Although I have giggled like a lassie after a session with his 18 and 25 :oops:
toshie
Bronze Member

Re: Highland Park - For ladies only!

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:26 pm

toshie wrote:And I'm sure the other tosh, gerry of that ilk, would disagree that his HP is a lassie's drink. Although I have giggled like a lassie after a session with his 18 and 25 :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I have tracked down the offending article. It was in the (Glasgow) Herald's "Whisky Galore" supplement issued earlier this month. In an article written by Kate Rafferty entitled "Fair sex and the cartur", the corrsepondent refers to an interview with Scottish comedian Craig Ferguson, as reported in an American magazine, in which he confesses that HP is his favourite whisky, though he knows that it is regarded as "a woman's whisky".
Perhaps the esrtwhile jester should visit Whisky Live in Glasgow this year and discuss the matter with Gerry. I'd buty a ticket - the clever money is on the ambassador!!
:lol:
Deactivated Member

Spell check?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:20 pm

Creiftan:
You really have to get your spell check upgraded.
The post should read: "Highland Park - For Laddies only!" :D
(Aside: Let the wind blow high, let the wind blow low, through the streets in my kilt I'll go! All the Lassies say hello...)

In my experience with whisky and ladies, I find that they are very discerning and appreciate the more complex whisky sooner than we frail males do. One lady at the local LC loved Laggie the first time she tried it while I had to slowly acquire my love for it.
The Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Spell check?

Postby Aidan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:23 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:Creiftan:
You really have to get your spell check upgraded.
The post should read: "Highland Park - For Laddies only!" :D
(Aside: Let the wind blow high, let the wind blow low, through the streets in my kilt I'll go! All the Lassies say hello...)

In my experience with whisky and ladies, I find that they are very discerning and appreciate the more complex whisky sooner than we frail males do. One lady at the local LC loved Laggie the first time she tried it while I had to slowly acquire my love for it.
The Muskrat

I don't know how many times I went into the wrong toilets because I misread "Ladies" as "Laddies".
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:19 pm

Aidan wrote:
I don't know how many times I went into the wrong toilets because I misread "Ladies" as "Laddies".

Uh huh! That's your side of the story is it?

:lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:24 pm

Aidan wrote:

And I suppose you think this sign is for Kilted brethern :lol:

irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:43 pm

Must be--not too many ladies dress like that these days.
Deactivated Member

Postby zarb » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:54 pm

zarb

Postby bamber » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:18 pm

zarb wrote:http://www.strawberrykiss.co.uk/

That stuff looks wrong to me !
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:47 pm

Whisky from beyond the grave - if you follow the links through to the Scotsman story, you find:

A spokesman for the Scotch Malt Whisky Society, which has branches in Queen Street and in Leith, said: "We have done pink whisky before, so the colour is nothing new. But our whisky is still normal whisky, but is coloured by leaving it in a different casket for a couple of years rather than any kind of liqueur.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:57 pm

This one will do.

Deactivated Member

Postby Scotchio » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:03 am

Don't girls live on Babysham and alcopops ? My wife certainly finds the aroma of whisky somewhat overbearing which frequently leads to a rather vexing late night conundrum regarding choices of indulgence. Perhaps if I sup HP sauce I could have my cake and eat it.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:09 am

The post should read: "Highland Park - For Laddies only!"

For Laddies only! I'd never get through it all... I'm up to give it a go though...
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:18 am

I no longer believe in the "ladies whisky/man's whisky" discussion. This is after serving women, young ones too, Ardbeg and other heavily smoked whiskies. And serving grown men Dalwhinnie. This is similar to the whisky is an old man's drink discussion. Rubbish. To each his/her own. Young, old, whatever.
Di Blasi

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder