Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Your favorite Irish

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

What's your favorite Irish

Tyrconnel
No votes
Jameson NAS
3%
Jameson 12
11%
Green Spot
8%
Redbreast 12
19%
Midleton Very Rare
11%
Powers Gold Label
8%
Blackbush
8%
Bushmills 16
8%
Connemara
8%
Other
14%

Total votes : 36

Your favorite Irish

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:40 pm

I'm not sure how much interest this will get, but what's your favorite Irish whiskey?
Last edited by Aidan on Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:56 pm

From the list I've only had two. The Redbreast 12yo and the Jameson 12yo "1780". Both were very good once I got to know their character. Also had the nicely smoky Connemara NAS. I'm thinking of getting a bottle of Knappogue Castle soon. I can't say I've tried enough to have a favorite yet, so I didn't vote.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:59 pm

Hmm, I had Connemara on the list, but it disappeared. I'll see can I edit it.
Aidan

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:19 pm

Hi Aidan

Having tried all of them my vote went to Midleton. It's a great whiskey, in a league of it's own, and it brings back many happy memories of nights in County Clare.

Cheers, Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:24 pm

Hi Paul

I recently bought a few bottles of the Midleton Very Rare. The 2005 and 2004 are very very drinkable. Wonderfully soft fruitcake.

I also love Co. Clare, as that's where my father is from - Lisdoonvarna. There's a very good whisky pub in Ballyvaughn called O'Loclains... http://www.irishwhiskeybar.com/location.html
Aidan

Postby Frodo » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:37 pm

OK, favourite I think implies that I've engoyed this many times as opposed to "the best Irish whiskey I've tasted". My favourite Irish is Redbreast 12. The best Irish whiskey I've ever had was Jameson 15 followed by a Middleton VR.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:48 pm

I have tried most of these and I must say that for an everyday dram I love the Connemara.
However, for something a little more special, I have to agree that the Midleton is something special.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:34 am

Redbreast 12 is one of my favourites - but so is Jameson 12. It can all change though thanks to Adrian and Wendy.

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby bamber » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:23 am

From that list I picked Green Spot, but Redbreast 15yo is my current favourite. The only one I've not yet had is the Midleton Very Rare.

However, if I could only have one more Irish it would be Jamerson 12yo. It took me half a bottle to get to know that stuff, but once I did, I really loved it.

The only one of those I do not really rate is the Bushmills 16yo. The first few pours were great, but I quickly tired of it and now find it too sweet.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:19 pm

Greenspot is the one I chose and for the same rasons as Bamber. It is probably the the Irish I have drank the most following me breaking free frm my narrow minded Blackbush years (also a great dram).

But my top fav is Redbreast 15yo but it's a limited edition so I'll leave it out of this topic.

Jameson 12yo comes a close second to Greenspot again due to it's wide availiblity.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Bullie » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:30 pm

I voted other... And that would be the Knappogue Castle bottlings. Brilliant whiskey! :D
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:48 pm

I could have put Redbreast 15, Bushmills 21, Bushmills Millennium etc on it, but thought that they aren't that easily available.

I voted for Powers, by the way. I'm not sure if it's my favorite, but it is a great whiskey and great value. It's what I always have in the pub with a pint, unless I'm having a Lagavulin 16.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:27 pm

I voted Black Bush because I love Bushmills - the way they paint their kerbstones in gay colours and have so many flags and bunting to cheer the place up. :wink:

In truth, I rate the whiskey and adore the North Derry/North Antrim coast - the two together make for a magical combination. I would have voted for Bushmills Millennium (1975) if it had been an option. I loved taking visitors to the distillery and looking longingly at the casks in the bonded warehouse. I shed a tear when the last cask was sold, but fortunately I have benefited from other people's surplus! And a couple of very reasonably priced drams in Aldens restaurant in Ballyhackamore (a place with a very appropriate name in the Irish tongue, apparently).
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:55 pm

I think when you look beyond the 10 yr old, Bushmills is a great distillery. And... I tasted the 10 recently and thought it was very nice.

Some of their single cask stuff is brilliant. The 25 is superb. I've only a couple of bottles left, but I can still get it for close to 100 euro.

I've recently bought rum, sherry and bourbon barrel bottlings. I've only tasted the sherry so far, but it's very good. The distillery is a little intimidating, though, for us southerners.

Of the ones not on the list, Jameson 15, Cadenhead's Bow Street 1963, Bushmills 25 yr old Millennium... and many more are all superb, in my opinion.
Aidan

Favorite Irish?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:32 pm

I chose Green Spot, although I've tried Tyrconnel and Connemara (in several guises). The Green Spot was my first Irish and it was the surprise dram of the tasting evening, so much so that I scooped the last available bottle next day.

Regretfully the remainder listed in the poll have remained elusive for me. Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:48 pm

Aidan wrote:Hi Paul

I recently bought a few bottles of the Midleton Very Rare. The 2005 and 2004 are very very drinkable. Wonderfully soft fruitcake.

I also love Co. Clare, as that's where my father is from - Lisdoonvarna. There's a very good whisky pub in Ballyvaughn called O'Loclains... http://www.irishwhiskeybar.com/location.html

Hi Aidan

It was in O'Loclains that I was introduced to Midleton, a great little pub. I know Lisdoonvarna very well, several really good nights spent there - The Roadside Tavern, The Royal Spa, The Matchmaker and Meg McGuires - to name a few. I also have very fond memories of playing in the pubs in Doolin. I'll have to go back one day!

Cheers, Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:21 am

Hi Paul - do you play music? Have you performed in Gus Connors in Doolin?
Aidan

Postby Ize » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:19 pm

I really liked complexity of the Redbreast 12yo ... and again I have to remind myself, order 15yo ASAP.
Ize
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:08 pm

Paul A Jellis wrote:Hi Aidan

I know Lisdoonvarna very well, several really good nights spent there - The Roadside Tavern, The Royal Spa, The Matchmaker and Meg McGuires - to name a few. I also have very fond memories of playing in the pubs in Doolin. I'll have to go back one day!

Cheers, Paul

Did you find yourself a wife there :wink:

i know where your comming from with the Midleton ....

... but comming from a cost-value prespective I have to knock it down a fair few places.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:25 pm

I used to like the bog standard Jamesons but later bottlings seem a little flat.
I also like the 12yo and Bushmills 10. Picked up a bottle of Black Bush in Dublin Airport a couple of years ago but haven't opened it yet.
Cork Gin is really excellent:D Nearly as good as Gloags :wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby Frodo » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:49 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:i know where your comming from with the Midleton ....

... but comming from a cost-value prespective I have to knock it down a fair few places.

I completely agree with this!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:15 pm

Aidan wrote:Hi Paul - do you play music? Have you performed in Gus Connors in Doolin?

Hi Aidan

Yes, Gus Conners and McDermotts, plus several other venues across Ireland. The last time I played in Ireland was at Club Árus na nGael in Galway. I had a great night there and was made very welcome.

I really must get back soon.

Cheers, Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:17 pm

[/quote]Did you find yourself a wife there[/quote]

Yes, but not my own . . . so don't tell anyone!

Cheers, paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:08 am

Paul A Jellis wrote:
Did you find yourself a wife there

Yes, but not my own . . . so don't tell anyone!

Cheers, paul

Good man yourself :wink:

The matchmaking festival is still going strong down there...
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby scoobypl » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:27 pm

Have voted for "other"
My two favourite Irish are:
Redbreast 15yo 46% unchillfiltered
Connemara Cask Strength or Cadenhead's Cooley's (different single casks)
scoobypl

Postby misa » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:07 am

I´d have to go for redbreast 15. I tried 12, a great one but still.
misa

Postby Aidan » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:30 pm

I heard that Irish Distillers don't give the Redbreast brand much attention. I wonder will they release a regular pure pot still under the Jameson name.

Irish Distillers is going to raise its prices by about 3%.
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:37 pm

Aidan wrote:
Irish Distillers is going to raise its prices by about 3%.

AS if we were not burdened enough :evil:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Badmonkey » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:41 am

Redbreast 12 is probably my favourite Irish whiskey, followed closely by Green Spot. I just love the oily texture and spicy finish of this one.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:17 pm

I haven't had many Irish whiskies so my favs are just Bushmills & Tullamore Dew, although a Cooley Bloodtub Valinch I got at the Bruichladdich distillery this last summer is most yummy. :)
.....unfortunately I won't be able to replace it. :(

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby maverick » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:50 pm

I've had a couple of the whiskeys on the list and personally my favorite is Jameson 12. Actually, my favorite is the 12 y.o reserve that you can only get at the old distillery, but they're pretty much the same. I can't tell the difference to be honest, except that it feels more special to drink the 12 reserve. If anybody can taste any differences I'd like to hear what they are. One that I'm really eager to try is the redbreast 12 and it seems as if it's quite popular which makes me wish I had a dram right now!
maverick

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:34 am

maverick wrote:I've had a couple of the whiskeys on the list and personally my favorite is Jameson 12. Actually, my favorite is the 12 y.o reserve that you can only get at the old distillery, but they're pretty much the same. I can't tell the difference to be honest, except that it feels more special to drink the 12 reserve. If anybody can taste any differences I'd like to hear what they are. One that I'm really eager to try is the redbreast 12 and it seems as if it's quite popular which makes me wish I had a dram right now!

Hi Maverick, Both of the Distillery 12yo reserves are different from the Reg 12yo. I had the Midleton one lately but can't remember the Bow Street one to be quite honest but do remember them to be different. The reg 12yo is slightly richer and rounder in flavour profile... more sherry influence I'd guess. Th Midleton reserve for me was more a floral charachter to the nose and a touch more spice and dark chocolate. I have not had the Bow Street version in some time but still favour the reg 12yo out of them all.
irishwhiskeychaser

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder