Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

whiskey drinker's age

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

whiskey drinker's age

20-24
18%
25-29
19%
30-34
15%
35-39
18%
40-44
11%
45-49
7%
50-54
8%
50-59
4%

Total votes : 114

whiskey drinker's age

Postby maverick » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:58 pm

Don't know if anybody cares but I thought it might be fun to see how old most whiskey drinkers are because I want to see if my "hypothesis" about whiskey drinker's age is correct which is around 30-35+.

I will start off by lowering that age substantialy, I'm 20 years old but I don't see that as a problem because I see myself as an aficionado and a guy who likes to enjoy life!
maverick

Postby Drrich1965 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:00 pm

41 here....and only privledged to "know" whisky for a few years....
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:10 pm

I might have guessed you were very young, as you seem to think that all whisky drinkers are dead by age 60....
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:24 pm

35 here ....

Long time Whiskey Drinker (18yrs) maybe not as long as some though :wink:

Short time Single Malt Drinker (1-2years)
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:03 pm

35 here too. Have been enjoying single malts for aprx two years and the occasional blended since I was around 18.

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Wave » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:36 pm

48 here
Was drinking whiskey before the legal age of 21 and didn't have my 1st real whisky till I was about 25.
This is almost like ancient history! :lol:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:38 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I might have guessed you were very young, as you seem to think that all whisky drinkers are dead by age 60....

...... or maybe anybody over 60 can't use a PC or Internet :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby CHy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:47 pm

I have enjoyed whisky since I was 20, met malts for the first time at 31, but only became a man at 49 when I first went to Islay. Now I probably will be dead by 60!
CHy

Postby maverick » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:11 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I might have guessed you were very young, as you seem to think that all whisky drinkers are dead by age 60....

I feared and knew someone would comment on that and I'm really sorry, but as I'm new to this forum I don't really know how it works yet. When I did it, I had one option for 60+ (or so I thought) but when I viewed it that option was gone. I know life doesn't end at 60 and I hope no one gets offended by my newbie-ness error.

However, I liked Irishwhiskeychaser's comment about people over 60 not being able to use a pc, might have a point there :lol:
maverick

Postby Jan » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:49 pm

Well, I'll turn 34 next week, so it seems your theory is not that farfetched :wink:

Hopefully I can look forward to a 70cl birthday gift :D

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:48 pm

C_I wrote:People at the age of 60+ are the creators of the PC and Internet, remind that, they have watched it grow from simple flashing lightbulbs via amber screens till the full colour display you are looking now. They saw (magnetic) storage shrink from half a meter with maybe 10 Mb to the size of a stamp with 1,000x as much storage. They made it happen... And now they are sitting in their comfortable leather sofa, in front of a sparking logfire, enjoying a good malt whisky and seeing that on a certain website, life ends at 60....

;)

I concur CI ..... I remember when I started working for a certian Banks IT dept and they were still using 12' reel tape :roll: now carts 3x3 can contain 20 times the data and they are only small fry compared to the shark discs now in use.

By the way I notice you have reached AU status well done.

Maverick, I think we can forgive you as it was an accidental omission rather than a devious attempt to exclude all the over 60's :twisted:

You'll find that we are all fairly easy going on this forum, can take a joke and try to wind people up a bit just to be mischievious so don't sweat it too much :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:10 pm

Oh, hell, there's nobody that old around here anyway. :P ('Spect I'll hear otherwise!) It's getting closer all the time, though.

I understand exactly what happened--it's a bit confusing. When you hit the add-an-option button, you are adding the one you just wrote, not setting up to add another one. I think it has happened to about everyone who has posted a poll here. You can edit it, though.

For the record, I am fifty-one years, ten months, and twenty days old, or thereabouts, although I remain very youthful in attitude (read: "juvenile"). I didn't get into whisky until I started going to Scotland in 1998, and it was always single malts. Inspiration and instruction came initially from reading Malt Advocate magazine, now my second-favorite whisky-related publication. My first did not yet exist at the time.
Deactivated Member

Mr T is an infant!

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:43 pm

Bruce, you're only 51? I always thought you were closer to my cadre than that (52 years, 3 months, 12 days).
Now, I started with single malts at University when I was just 21 in 1976. Now I'm over twice that and still enjoying Whisky and the good companionship that it attracts. Maverick, welcome to the forums and the high jinx that develop from time to time.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: whiskey drinker's age

Postby Paul A Jellis » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:46 pm

maverick wrote:Don't know if anybody cares but I thought it might be fun to see how old most whiskey drinkers are because I want to see if my "hypothesis" about whiskey drinker's age is correct which is around 30-35+.

30-35+ is about how long I have been drinking whisky!

Age is very important, when I can no longer remember my own age - it's time to stop drinking!

Cheers, Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:07 pm

Well, I must be getting potty--I can't figure out if I'm in the 50-54 range, or the 50-59 range. :wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:49 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Well, I must be getting potty--I can't figure out if I'm in the 50-54 range, or the 50-59 range. :wink:

It's confirmed then, you're potty.

:wink:

:D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:08 am

Maybe, but I'm not as potty as Lord Pfaffin.

(It's my potty and I'll cry if I want to!)
Deactivated Member

Postby Bullie » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:58 am

35 YO... Quite a good age... But it seems to get better for each year.

And I do like the 1971 Vintage whiskies I've found. :D

Soon I will celebrate 20 years with single malt...
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:00 am

35 here.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby wandering pict » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:19 pm

If you had asked yesterday, the 18th then I could have answered that I was still in my forties, however I have now entered the half-century mark. Can't really believe it because I feel much younger :lol:
wandering pict

Postby DramMeister » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:32 pm

I'm 38. I just wanted to say that it's getting harder and harder to find a whisky older than me. Although I did have a Glenfarclas 40 this summer.

You all sound much older on the Forum.
You must be wise before your time.
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:56 pm

wandering pict wrote:If you had asked yesterday, the 18th then I could have answered that I was still in my forties, however I have now entered the half-century mark. Can't really believe it because I feel much younger :lol:

I know just how you feel. I keep doing the math, and it keeps coming out the same. There must be some mistake!
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:57 pm

DramMeister wrote:I'm 38. I just wanted to say that it's getting harder and harder to find a whisky older than me. Although I did have a Glenfarclas 40 this summer.

There's always Glenfarclas 105.... :roll:
Deactivated Member

Postby nicholtl » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:11 am

Hooked at 21, still going strong at 25!
nicholtl
Bronze Member

Postby zarb » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:02 pm

25 here (but only just) and female, used to get some funny looks in pubs when I was a student but less so now, maybe they'll stop when I'm 60 ;)
zarb

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:36 pm

Welcome to the madhouse, zarb! Hope you hang around a while, as we are far too male-heavy. Wendy, Jill, and Suzy could use the company! (First guy who says "So could we" gets a withering stare from Mr Picky.)
Deactivated Member

Postby zarb » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:47 pm

Heheh, thanks Tattie- at uni I did get a bit sick of people telling me whisky was "an old man's drink" and that I should be drinking snakebite and black/"red beer" instead, glad there are a few more females out there with more sophisticated tastes, and who wouldn't just prefer to drink Bacardi Breezers ;)
zarb

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:48 am

Well, it is this old man's drink. :roll: Why, when I was a wee laddie, young folks aspired to be mature and sophisticated. Now folks seem to want to extend childhood indefinitely, and kiddie pop drinks are a part of that, it seems to me. No one ever accused Mr Tattie Heid of being overly mature, but there's a time and a place, isn't there? If you're going to do grown-up things like consume alcohol, you ought to try to do them in a grown-up way.

Oops :oops: ...one of the hazards of old age, zarb--I am twice your age (but only just!)--the rants start to flow all too easily!
Deactivated Member

Cheers from north of the 49th

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:47 am

zarb wrote:25 here (but only just) and female, used to get some funny looks in pubs when I was a student but less so now, maybe they'll stop when I'm 60 ;)

Zarb: Doesn't matter how old you are or what sex, they still give you funny looks in the bar when you order a SM whisky neat with water on the side. We won't even touch on the topic of what glassware they use (water tumblers). Welcome to the forum and by the by, Mr. T (aka Bruce) is really a sweet guy and very knowledgeable.
Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:05 am

...and a veritable youngster compared to Musky P! :P
Deactivated Member

uh, well, actually....

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:11 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:...and a veritable youngster compared to Musky P! :P
Yeah... not! Auld timers is setting in 'though, as I'm 51 + 3 months, etc... not 52 +... so you still win. My mistake :oops: .
Pete
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:15 am

Oh crap, I am older than you (but only just!).
Deactivated Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:26 am

It's okay, I'm taller and better looking.
Pete
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:51 am

Maybe, but I'm sweet and very knowledgeable. (Geez, Pete, I hope no one is paying any attention to this.)
Deactivated Member

Postby zarb » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:15 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:when I was a wee laddie, young folks aspired to be mature and sophisticated. Now folks seem to want to extend childhood indefinitely, and kiddie pop drinks are a part of that, it seems to me. If you're going to do grown-up things like consume alcohol, you ought to try to do them in a grown-up way.

Yes, if you're going to drink, have a proper drink! ;) At college and uni I knew a lot of people who drank alcopops because "they let you get drunk really easily." Some liked Malibu and coke as well, which is what Jack Daniels and coke reminds me of. I never understood that idea, getting drunk isn't hard work- a lot of people find it much harder to stay sober!

Often people say they "don't like the taste of alcohol" but there are hundreds of different kinds, how is it possible to hate every single one of them? These people seem to like alcoholic drinks that don't actually taste of alcohol, such as alcopops, and I've never seen the point of those. Mixed vodka drinks for example: why bother drinking cheap vodka masked with artificial flavours and sugar when you could just drink a decent vodka instead? Or one flavoured with something much nicer than aspartame and citric acid?

On the subject of horrible drinks, this sounds pretty nasty:
http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=111562006
Strawberry flavoured whiskey aimed at female drinkers, anyone?

Muskrat Portage wrote:Doesn't matter how old you are or what sex, they still give you funny looks in the bar when you order a SM whisky neat with water on the side.

Oh yes, I'm used to the "are you an alcoholic?" stare ;)
zarb

Next

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder