Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

whiskey drinker's age

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

whiskey drinker's age

20-24
18%
25-29
19%
30-34
15%
35-39
18%
40-44
11%
45-49
7%
50-54
8%
50-59
4%

Total votes : 114

Postby Jon Barleycorn » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:23 am

At 53 I'm definitely an old man on this forum - wish I could have discovered whiskey a few decades sooner. As it is, I have a huge number of bottles to go through to catch up with you all! :D
Glad to see there are some women in this little club. All the female whiskey drinkers I know are super smart and fun to hang out with.
Time to do some more "catching up" - cheers!
Jon Barleycorn

Postby cuttydyer » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:27 pm

i love whisky
thats it really
i was 50 lat week and started drinking whisky
about the age of 27 when i was playing in a local rock band
now i go out of my way to find all differant types,,
love malt ,the aroma mmmmmmmmm
only thing is i keep falling over ?
cuttydyer

Postby cuttydyer » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:29 pm

oh , i do like a nice whisky and coke sometimes , does that make me weird?
cuttydyer

Postby Lawrence » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:18 am

cuttydyer wrote:oh , i do like a nice whisky and coke sometimes , does that make me weird?

No, but certainly in a minority in these forums. :wink:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Badmonkey » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:30 am

36 is my magic number these days. Been at the whisky since 29.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:50 pm

35 years and 3 weeks old. Almost clicked the 30-34… funny when you find you've aged into the next category along.

And hi Zarb – yes, as a woman I get strange reactions from some people who seem to expect me to order G&T, or a wine & soda. Both of which are perfectly fine drinks in their place, just not when you really fancy a Lagavulin

But I admit I will look out for the strawberry liquer when I’m in Edinburgh next month ... I'll let you know what I think of it ;)
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:49 pm

TreacleSponge wrote:And hi Zarb – yes, as a woman I get strange reactions from some people who seem to expect me to order G&T, or a wine & soda. Both of which are perfectly fine drinks in their place, just not when you really fancy a Lagavulin

Six thumbs up!!!! (Means I highly agree and welcome to the forum...)
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby StephenBaird » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:26 pm

slightly younger than I thought that the mass would be at - I really thought the 40+ would take it

(42 two days ago and brother-in-law treated me to Springbank - his favourite whisky)
StephenBaird

Postby AnthonyB » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:05 am

19 and just given a bottle of Glenmorangie cellar 13. Is this discrimination?! :) It will be my first single malt. (18 is the legal age in Australia for interest's sake)

First post, looking to develop my knowledge of something i expect will be a lifelong passion.
AnthonyB

Postby Bullie » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:49 am

AnthonyB wrote:19 and just given a bottle of Glenmorangie cellar 13. Is this discrimination?! :) It will be my first single malt. (18 is the legal age in Australia for interest's sake)

First post, looking to develop my knowledge of something i expect will be a lifelong passion.

Way to go laddie! :D Nice first bottle, and I'm sure you'll be in this lovely whisky-bog for the rest of your life! :wink:
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:51 pm

Physically 43 - Mentally, a wee bit less 8)

Hi people - Mrs C Here :D What the Crieftan meant to say was "Mentally, considerably less" :P
Deactivated Member

Well said

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:07 pm

Crieftan wrote:Physically 43 - Mentally, a wee bit less 8)
Hi people - Mrs C Here :D What the Crieftan meant to say was "Mentally, considerably less" :P

I do like Mrs Crieftan! Crieffy, consider yourself lucky to have a life partner with a great sense of humour. :lol:
Musky Pete
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Well said

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:20 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:
Crieftan wrote:Physically 43 - Mentally, a wee bit less 8)

I do like Mrs Crieftan! Crieffy, consider yourself lucky to have a life partner with a great sense of humour. :lol:
Musky Pete

:? you reckon so, huh?

:lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby mightyomega » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:38 pm

Hello!
I got started in the whisky thing after a holiday to Scotland at age 25, last year. A friend said to bring back some good "scotch", so I went off to a convenient High Street shop in Edinburgh, and left with a bottle of Glen Garioch 10. When I got home, I asked the friend to let me try it and I was hooked on the spot.
Just this weekend, I bought a bottle of the new “Michter’s” single barrel rye. It has got some nice punch…
Some people pine for childhood, I like being a “grown-up” (in body, anyway :)
mightyomega

Postby mrt » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:23 pm

I'm 30. My interest in whiskey goes back to my childhood, but I started to drink (not so much) a few years ago.

...and for the poll, it would be better and nicer to include at least one more choice for those who are 60+. 30 years later, if I live, a thread like this may insult me. Anyway, when one is just 20, sometimes may not be sensible enough.
mrt

Postby Elagabalus » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:01 pm

24 yo here!
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:04 pm

I was hooked not long after my 20th birthday and to date have 50 bottles. I'm 23 now BTW :lol:
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Nidaros » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:00 am

I am 27.

I always did like whisky, but I didn't fully appreciate it before Whisky Live in Glasgow this year
Nidaros

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:22 pm

What is this, the Children's Hour? I have whiskies older than you guys! Anyone born after Port Ellen closed is too young to have an opinion!

--Geezerly Mr TH :wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby TheLaddie » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:34 pm

34, but don't look a day over 45...
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:58 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:What is this, the Children's Hour? I have whiskies older than you guys! Anyone born after Port Ellen closed is too young to have an opinion!

Can I try one of your older whiskies please Grandad? :lol:
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Cam » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:23 am

I've been waiting until someone with a little more senority to come forward. I guess that will have to be me. I'm 55, started drinking whisky 35 years ago but only got into SMW in the last two years.

Cam
Cam

Postby Elagabalus » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:42 am

LMAO@ Scotty
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Children's Hour

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:20 am

Tattieheid/Bruce/Picky:
I must comment on your crotchety old man comment :lol: about these vigorous youth that have embraced Single Malts. As with any organisation or special interest group, the future of the group and their access to products and services rest solely on the enticement of younger members into said organisations. (ie: Lions; Elks; Moose; Freemasonry; KofC; Loch dhu Usquebach Appreciation Society).

We owe a debt of gratitude to the younger members for developing an interest at an early age. The future of the whisky lake appears to be in good hands. And let's not forget those like Cam who are recent converts but deserve our thanks as well!
Pete (at a crotchety 51)

PS Bruce: Your future social security allowance depends solely on the birth hiccup that follows the Baby Boomers :D :D :D (...AND you really have to learn to share with others.)
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:36 am

Musky: You're right, you're right, you sure are right. But I feel obligated to give these whippersnappers a hard time--we have to weed out the casuals and weaklings so we can see what we really have!

Grumpily,

Mr TH

PS to Scotty Mc: No! :P
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:11 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:PS to Scotty Mc: No! :P

Boring old fart :lol:
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:11 pm

And damn proud of it! 8)
Deactivated Member

Postby Choochoo » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:38 pm

I'm 31 years old, but I've been told that I look younger. When drinking scotch or bourbon however, I get told that I look older - more distiguished.

"Like a movie star" I was told a few weekends ago by a nice young lady while I was enjoying a dram - Thanks Scotch whisky!
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Mustardhead » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:56 pm

I'm 45 and I expected there to be more older whisky drinkers here than younger ones! Sometimes I feel like I'm 65 and sometimes 25. Mentally I vary between 5 and 15 :D

Roger
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Whistle » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:35 pm

I'd like to take part in your poll, but but being 60 means I'm a little too old :lol: but an odd thing is, I don't think I had ever had a drink of scotch untill a month a go when one of my sons introduced me to the stuff. So I guess you're never too old to try something new.
Whistle

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:55 am

Shock, horror! 55 and a first time father of 19 months over here!

Bought a 16 y.o. Madiera finished Macallan, one of only 343 bottles to celebrate her birth. See, there's this bloke in the vintage house, soho, and he offered me this gorgeous dram one friday afternoon and i couldn't resist buying the whole bottle. no regrets.

well, not many! being a dad keeps you young...and busy

As Tina Turner once said:

"People think i'm getting old...I'm just getting started!"

Oh, BTW, been on the malt trail about six years. Last count , I'd sampled about 170 different whiskies of all ages, regions, colour, finish and nose...not a lot i know. I mean, How DOES Mr Murray manage to sample about 700 new ones in a year AND write mo' or less coherently about them??

That's 2 newies per day!! On top of all the ones he calls "one of my regular drams"...

(see "Are you an alcoholic?" thread on this forum. "No, I'm a whisky taster you nerk!").

P.S. Tip for whisky shoppers. Always "do business" with the guy who has whisky on his breath. He's more likely to give you a (generous) sample of the current "house malt".
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby lapianoman » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:16 pm

Choochoo wrote:I'm 31 years old, but I've been told that I look younger. When drinking scotch or bourbon however, I get told that I look older - more distiguished.

"Like a movie star" I was told a few weekends ago by a nice young lady while I was enjoying a dram - Thanks Scotch whisky!

Behold! The Power of Scotch! :D

I started drinking single malts just over 2 years ago. This February will mark my 37th year.
lapianoman

Postby BubbaC » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:16 am

I am the ripe age of 28. I started drinking whiskeys well before I knew how to appreciate them. Ironically, I got started on Irish whiskeys and slowly but gradually got introduced to single malts via the Bushmill's distillery, and seeing as how the median lifespan has increased significantly I would say the senior gentlemen on the board have many more years of complaining about the "whippersnappers" left in them. :twisted:
BubbaC

whisky drinkers age

Postby Quaichuser » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:29 pm

Like scotch, wine, cognac, and the occassional ex-girlfriend things do get better with age. At 57 I have always maintained that one is only as old as you let yourself be. I have been a student of the quaich for 30yrs now and happy to say I am still learning something new almost everyday.

For many years scotch was the domain of the old fogeys. Now that I am one, I am happy to see that things have changed. The scotch club I belong to has 60 members ranging from their late 20's to their late 70s. A love of single malts brings us all together for a dinner and tastings.

Life is good. Sinlge malts, like songs from the wood, make it that much better.
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby peergynt323 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:47 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:What is this, the Children's Hour? I have whiskies older than you guys! Anyone born after Port Ellen closed is too young to have an opinion!

I've drunk whisky older than I am. You can learn a lot from your elders. :wink:
peergynt323
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder