Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Canadian rye drinkers

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Canadian rye drinkers

Postby SI » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:01 pm

Which brand of rye do you drink most often and how often do you drink it?

Alberta Premium
Canadian Club
Crown Royal
Gibson’s Finest
Royal Reserve
Seagram’s
Wiser’s Deluxe
Wiser’s Special Blend
Walker’s Special Old
Other
SI

Canadian rye

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:04 am

I personally drink CC or Wisers Deluxe for Canadian rye. In my misspent youth, I drank Carrington on ice, just prior to attending University. Uni led to Glenlivet, which led to collecting, so dramming Canadian rye started the whole process for me. :D
How often do I drink it? Once or twice a week in the summer and less often in winter, then I dram SM.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wave » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:15 am

I like and have a bottle of the Crown Royal Special Reserve which is an excellent special occasion whisky, but a mainstay is Canadian Mist used to sweeten up my Diet Pepsi. :D
How often for a CM & DP? Well, I'm having one right now! :lol:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Badmonkey » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:01 am

I always keep a bottle of Alberta Premium in the collection. It's just a whisky I've always had an affinity with, and it doesn't cost a lot. I have the Forty Creek Three Grain open right now; I'd rather have the Barrel Select. For my next Canadian purchase, I'll probably get a Gibson's. Not sure which one.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:11 pm

So no one accross the pond drinks cdn whisky regularly?
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Jon Barleycorn » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:49 am

I have found Canadian whiskey in general to be too light and "spirity" for me, although Forty Creek Barrel Select is a nice dram. Interestingly, though it is made from a blend of corn, barley and rye, it tastes nothing like bourbon, despite the similarity of ingredients.
Jon Barleycorn

Postby hpulley » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:36 am

These days, Forty Creek Barrel Select is the only Canadian I keep on hand though more for others than myself. I'm too busy drinking scotch!

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Re: Canadian rye drinkers

Postby hilliamash » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:47 pm

I've tried Wiser's Deluxe (10 year), but it's very alcohol heavy for me. The flavors tend to bounce around like a footballer's brawl--nobody truly winning the competition. It's one of the whiskies on which I simply cannot agree with Jim Murray--he rates it 89, I would give it something in the 60's or 70's. My guess is that it will get added to fruitcakes this year.

I like Forty Creek Barrel Select quite a bit, and think that the CR SR is an excellent whisky, but a bit overpriced. Nevertheless, I manage to keep it around as a regular.

The CC 10 year Reserve is quite good, as is Windsor Canadian---the former having more rye. It would be tough for me to choose between many of them...especially the Alberta Premium. Each is enjoyed for something particular.

Thus, I'll make the brave decision to not make a decision. :P
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:14 pm

I think that Forty Creek Barell Select is an outstanding value. Good taste and depth at a low price (around $20 here).

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Knolly » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:43 am

Totally agree on the 40 Creek:

I buy it not just because it's good, but because I want to support good Canadian distilling!

Last year at a trade show in Las Vegas we bought five 1.75L bottles of the 40 Creek Barrel Select from Lee's Discount Liquor (~$38 / bottle!) for an event. It was all gone in just over an hour! This year we couldn't get the 40 Creek from Lee's so it was Teachers Highland Cream (10 liters worth) as well as two "reserve" bottles: Laphroaig QC and Caol Ila 18yr. Too bad about the 40 Creek though - it was cool to have a Canadian Whisky being poured by a Canadian company in Vegas :)
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby Elagabalus » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:39 pm

I'll only have rye when it has been mixed with some vermouth to make a marvelous Manhattan garnished with a cherry and a lolita! :lol:

I would never recommend drinking this stuff straight. The rye most often available for my Manhattans is Gibson's Finest.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby pmullin » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:51 pm

I'm not a big Canadian whisky drinker, but don't mind the odd sip of Alberta Premium - it's not too bad once you get past that first blast of alcohol on the nose (which I guess means that I should just drink it!).

The Forty Creek products are not bad, but I don't find them all that consistent. Does any one else find this?
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby Knolly » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:39 am

pmullin wrote:
The Forty Creek products are not bad, but I don't find them all that consistent. Does any one else find this?

I have to admit that you're totally right about that. I've bought a lot of the 40 creek Barrel Select over the past year, but the last bottle I bought was not very good unfortunately. Noticeably so :(

Previously, it had been pretty consistent: this is the first bottle that wasn't up to par.
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:11 pm

I'll be trying some soon, hopefully. I can't wait.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby cclward » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:50 am

I like Alberta Springs 10 year old sipping whisky , it has a unique finish for a rye whisky. Its best neat.
cclward

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:19 am

Aidan wrote:I'll be trying some soon, hopefully. I can't wait.
Ummm, am I supposed to send some over?
Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:16 am

I tend to drink more scotch though Forty Creek, Wiser's Special Reserve, Crown Royal, Crown Royal SR, Alberta Premium 25 are all very decent as are some others.... :)
I enjoy Canadian whisky neat and also on ice. A good change from time to time.
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:07 am

I started drinking bourbon then evolved into SMS. Rye is horrible, worse than bourbon imho. Nothing can compare to scotch.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:33 pm

Just back from Alberta with a bottle of Alberta Premium, a bottle of Crown Royal Limited Edition, and some Crown Royal miniatures for friends. I wish I'd bought the AP 25yo I saw in the airport but I sadly waited until I was through to Duty Free before buying anything and there was none there, just the CRLE.

Maybe time to open and try a miniature...
Deactivated Member

Postby Ryguy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:40 pm

Hirsch Canadian Rye is very nice stuff. Very smooth indeed. Anyone tried this? If so can you recommend anything similar?
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby hilliamash » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:11 am

I've tried both AP and the 25 year old....I personally like the young one better, but the difference between the two is pretty marginal in my mind. Perhaps the elder is a bit more mellow, but we're talking nuances...not major differences. You did just fine by getting the AP.
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:50 pm

If I'd bought the 25yo I would have kept it and not opened it anyway, so this way I get something to keep and something to drink.

I'll let you know my thoughts when I get around to opening it :thumbsup:
Deactivated Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:21 am

I did enjoy most of the Canadian rye whiskys straight or with a dab of water in my youth, but now I realize there is much better fare. Canadian rye whisky is nothing more than barrell aged vodka and although scotch whiskey is double the price it is well worth not looking back. No matter what variations are in play the flavour profile is not significantly modified. I must admitt the sherried cork bottling of Canadian Club is definately an inovation that bend the rules with positive results.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Elagabalus » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:49 pm

LOOK FORGET RYE< GIVE ME SCOTCH OR GIVE ME DEATH! EVEN AT 8:30 AM !!!!!!!!!!!
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:51 pm

I tried one of the Crown Royal miniatures and I indeed found it too 'light and spirity'.

Oh, well. A couple of bottles for the collection, then...
Deactivated Member

Postby funkyman2002 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:18 am

Well I'm going to get this post going again.

What does everyone drink for Canadian Rye?

First off I must admit I am no connoisseur.

I have always loved my CC. I probably should be ashamed but I like it. Recently I discovered CC 100 proof which is surprisingly very smooth and I find it much more enjoyable than the standard 6yr bottle. Even on ice.

Recently I discovered Alberta Premium Dark Horse I picked it up on a whim and yum I really enjoyed it. :)

Just last week I discovered Century Reserve 21 and it was even better. :shock:

Currently I am enjoying a new bottle of CC 100 proof and its still quite nice. :D

Any other suggestions? I have always found Crown to be way to sweet and someitmes ventured into Royal Reserve but it is definetly a mixing Whiskey.
funkyman2002

Postby The Third Dram » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:22 pm

funkyman2002 wrote:Any other suggestions? I have always found Crown to be way to sweet and someitmes ventured into Royal Reserve but it is definetly a mixing Whiskey.

Crown Royal Cask No. 16... The Cognac cask effect radically transforms the signature CR flavour profile to something crisper and spicier

Others to consider:

Gibson's 18 Year Old
Wiser's 18 Year Old
Wiser's Legacy
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder