Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky when your sick?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Whisky and the cold?

Keep off the sauce till I'm better (why waste it when I can hardly smell or taste it)
61%
It's the water of life, I pour it on
28%
My intake stays the same sick or hale
8%
I maintain a strict regiment that involves _______ and a just a wee nip of whisky
3%

Total votes : 36

Whisky when your sick?

Postby Nock » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:29 am

I am under the weather just now :cry:
and I was just wondering how many of you out there
handle your whiskey when you have a common cold.
Nock
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:04 am

A hot whiskey is great when you have a cold. Many people over here use it in such circumstances.

In a heat-proof glass, pour a measure of whiskey, add a teaspoon of sugar, a couple of cloves and a slice of lemon. Top up with water off the boil. Put in face.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Thesh » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:15 am

I don't drink when I'm sick. Although, I imagine if your BAC is high enough it could be enough to kill any virus or bacteria that is in your body, but your body would need to be at least 7% ABV.
Thesh
Bronze Member

Postby bamber » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:25 am

Thesh wrote:I don't drink when I'm sick. Although, I imagine if your BAC is high enough it could be enough to kill any virus or bacteria that is in your body, but your body would need to be at least 7% ABV.

ImageI've not had a cold for the last couple of years. I guess that explains it Image
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:27 am

ImageAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaHHHH choooo !!!! Image

I knew I'd hex myself saying that.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Whiskana » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:46 am

bamber wrote:ImageI've not had a cold for the last couple of years. I guess that explains it Image

Same here, I don't catch anything easily...
I take precautionary measures every so often, too...Image
Whiskana
Bronze Member

Postby Bullie » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:23 am

Are there another cure when you're sick?
I didn't know that... :shock: :wink:
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:50 pm

Luckily enough I very rarely get a cold or anything like that either. But I am a firm believer of keeping the drams flowing even when sick. Sure, is it not what it's made for me laddie :wink: . As Aidan said above the hot toddy is a great drink for giving a pick-me-up when your cold and miserable.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby lexvo » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:50 pm

Last year I felt a flu coming up, just before a whisky tasting session. I went to the session and had quite a few whiskies to taste. The next day I had a little headache, but the flu/cold was gone completely! :)

However, a few months later I tried this again when I didn't feel well, but I got ill nonetheless......
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby dram_time » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:10 pm

A little of what you like when your under the weather is going to ‘pick you up’ a bit for sure, maybe it would be a good time to get rid of some of those ‘poorer quality’ bottlings while the taste and smell senses are knackered ??

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Jon Barleycorn » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:13 pm

There's an old Irish jig called "When Sick is it Tea You Want?" I always assumed that the answer to this question was "No!", and that the implied drink of choice would be whiskey. Now we have a couple Irishmen confirming this idea. Next time I get a cold I'm trying Aidan's recipe! :wink:
Jon Barleycorn

Postby Badmonkey » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:23 pm

I try to create a hostile environment for the virus by flooding my bloodstream with alcohol. I question the medical efficacy of this approach, but can attest to the warm feelings that wash over me as the whisky kicks in.

When I lived in northern Japan, hot sake mixed with egg was a popular cold remedy in the countryside.

Cheers
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby rthomson » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:29 pm

If I'm truly down and out with a cold or fever, as opposed to just the sniffles, I lay off both whisky and beer. I just can't taste or smell as much in that condition so I save the stuff until I'm feeling better. Oddly, my wiser and better half, who rarely drinks whiskey, makes a point of having a hot toddy each night when she has a cold. We usually have a few minis of Bushmills sitting around for just that purpose.

Cheers,
Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:30 am

rthomson wrote:If I'm truly down and out with a cold or fever.......... I just can't taste or smell as much in that condition so I save the stuff until I'm feeling better.

Cheers,
Ron

Sounds like the ideal time to have a Ledaig sherry finish :lol:

Like Ron, I'd avoid whisky if I'm blocked up and only use whisky I wouldn't drink on its own for a toddy. Toddys really do work though. The evaporating alcohol seems to act as a decongestant and the honey and lemon always ease the aching throat. 8)
Deactivated Member

Re: Whisky when your sick?

Postby Lawrence » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:55 pm

Nock wrote:I am under the weather just now :cry:
and I was just wondering how many of you out there
handle your whiskey when you have a common cold.

Generally not, my ability to taste is impacted in an adverse fashion.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:24 pm

Taste, schmaste. A wee dram works wonders! Just keep it to the cheap stuff, and be very moderate (if that's not an oxymoron)--you're already feeling wiped out. One before the afternoon nap. Be careful of drug interactions, as well. Me, I'd rather have the dram, and forget the meds.
Deactivated Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:34 pm

Wasn't "a wee dram when you're sick" the thinking behind Vicks NyQuil?
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Hot Toddy

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:57 am

Aidan wrote:A hot whiskey is great when you have a cold. Many people over here use it in such circumstances.
In a heat-proof glass, pour a measure of whiskey, add a teaspoon of sugar, a couple of cloves and a slice of lemon. Top up with water off the boil. Put in face.

Nock et al:
I really concur strongly with Aidan as the hot toddy remedy works especially well for me when I'm down with a cold. I use honey instead of sugar for mine but the recipe is the same otherwise. Then I wrap up in a blanket and flannel PJ's and sip it down. You will break into a sweat and that seems to help break the cold. Also, you sleep better. Generally the colds and flus strike when we have milder weather in winter, around 10 to -5*.

(*Note: Considering we have -30 in winter here - 5 is mild)
Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby DramMeister » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:48 pm

What about sore throats?

I had one a couple of weeks ago and avoided alcohol for a few days because, as I understand it, alcohol dries the vocal cords making it worse.
However, when it didn't get better I went for the most antiseptic whisky in the cupboard, QC, and it did seem to work.
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby maverick » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:41 pm

That's a really tough question. I don't usually drink any alcohol when I'm sick when I'm at home but when I visit my grandma I usually get warm whiskey mixed with sugar over a hot stove. I guess it's a home remidy but I would never let her make it with for example ardbeg 10 only the cheap stuff. Why ruin the good stuff!
maverick

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:56 pm

I've tried a little whisky before without positive results. It did taste good though...
Been on a penicillin cure for ten days and have been off the whisky for one month this coming Friday. Time to change all that :twisted:
Mr Fjeld

Sore throat remedy

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:36 am

DramMeister wrote:What about sore throats?
,...when it didn't get better I went for the most antiseptic whisky in the cupboard, QC, and it did seem to work.

Okay, here's my Dad's recipe for a sore throat: have a drink before bedtime and then wrap a wool scarf* around your throat and climb into bed. The wool seems to wick away the sweat and keeps the neck warm. Next morning no sore throat. Honest, it works.
(* If you don't have a wool scarf, use clean wool socks.)

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Jon Barleycorn » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:51 pm

I finallly had a chance to try Aidan's recipe last night, as I was feeling totally knackered from a bad cold. The whisky toddy was warming and soothing, and I slept very well indeed. Tonight I'm mixing a stronger one!
Jon Barleycorn

Postby Marvin » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:39 pm

My gran used to make a hot toddy when she was sick.
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:52 pm

Aye, I have it on good authority from a dear friend who, a couple of winters back found himself in a Scottish hotel on business, under attack from a sudden bout of 'flu.

Throughout the evening, his business agena and etiquette demanded that he stay with his colleagues despite his condition. Repeated visits to the bar resulted in his polishing off a healthy percentage of the house Auchentoshan.

Next morning, no 'flu...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby rthomson » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:29 pm

I've been down and out with a nasty cold and concurrent viral conjunctivitis for the past week. These things sometimes happen when you work in pediatrics, one downside to an otherwise enjoyable job. Tonight I'll be going against my usual strategy and will be having a few drams. Ideally it will help the healing process but the primary reason is to provide a few moments of pleasure to an otherwise miserable week.

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:17 am

My intake may remain essentially the same but when I can't smell as well I won't use up the finest in my collection. Instead I'll tend toward the medicinal drams.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Nidaros » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:56 am

I know one thing:

Whisky is better than paracetamol at removing mild headaches. I am sure it is healthier than paracetamol too.

And, much more enjoyable :)
Nidaros

Postby RufusA » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:14 pm

Whenever I have a cold I make myself a hot toddy.

Usually 1 sachet of Lemsip (a lemon flavoured parecetomal and decongestant product in the UK) in the bottom of a glass cup (of the type used for camomile tea), half fill with a suitable cheap single malt (Tesco's Own Brand Glen Rannoch @ £8.99/bottle is current favourite), and top up with boiling water. The resultant mixture is reasonably pleasant to drink with the whisky taking the edge off the medicine. Then retire to bed for a good sleep to awake cold free in the morning.

So definitely drink whisky if you have a cold, but keep the bottles of good stuff closed as the palette is not in a good position to enjoy their pleasures.

Rufus.
RufusA
Bronze Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:26 pm

My husband makes me a toddy when I feel like a cold is going to start. And I almost never get ill, so I believe in its healing powers! He’s only just (reluctantly) given me his secret family recipe:

One cup of lemonade slowly heated up to not-quite-boiling, with 2 cloves, a bit of nutmeg, a stick of cinnamon/ground cinnamon, a teaspoon honey, a lemon wedge. Then he sieves it and pours it into a cup with a shot of a blended whisky (doesn’t heat the whisky with the rest of it). And if I do get properly ill, he adds ground-up paracetamol to it while it’s heating up.

But remember it’s a secret family recipe, so don’t tell anyone.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder