Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Does the world need The Singleton of Dufftown?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Does the world need The Singleton of Dufftown

Yes - it's what we've been waiting for all these years
13%
Perhaps - if it leads to other Singletons in the range
38%
No - I've never heard anything so ridiculous in my life
50%

Total votes : 8

Does the world need The Singleton of Dufftown?

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:16 pm

Travelling through Edinburgh Airport, I noticed heavy promotion for a "world exclusive" - the Singleton of Duffotwn. It is well designed, in a turquoise bottle - tall and oval in cross section and with nicely designed script labels . On nosing, it gives rotten vegetables and on tasting it is bitter, drying, sour and vegetably. However, the 8 foot tall advertising boards promise nuts and spice and silk and things. Perhaps the powers of suggestion will work.

So the question - does the world need the exclusive Singleton of Dufftown? And if so, is it a prelude to singletons of other Flora and Fauna products?
Deactivated Member

Postby corbuso » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:58 pm

Hi Nick,

As previously mentioned, Singleton was the name used for the first bottling of Auchroisk. And although it was not confirmed by the Diageo Staff I met the week before, there is going to be likely some new Fauna and Flora.
Lately, Diageo has relaunched the Auchroisk and an another one at a lower price.

Regarding the Singleton of Dufftown, it is not that bad. Better than the Fauna and Flora edition, thanks to better casks and some sherry.

Corbuso

PS: A report about the lastest news should be posted within a week on http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:36 pm

Hi there,

Diageo has just relesed a Singleton of Ord for the Asian market.

http://www.diageo.com/en-row/NewsAndMed ... gleton.htm

There are connections to the Singleton of Dufftown it seems.

http://www.whiskynyt.dk/index.php?name= ... e&sid=1086

I read a tasting note of the Ord somewhere that sounded not too enticing, much as I love the Glen Ord. And what you write about the Dufftown it seems that the press talk about the malts being intended for people who want to try malt for the first time etc ad nauseam translates as "we have surplus stock and we want to get rid of it somehow."
The Singleton of Auchroisk which was the first singleton (simpleton???) is called that no longer. It was critisized as a designer malt when it came out as a 10 year old because it was so smooth and had no edges whatsoever.

Nomen est omen? At least in the case of the Dufftown Singleton it seems to be a simple whisky that is blown up with marketing tricks to an image it can not fill out.
On the other hand others may well like it.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:46 pm

The Singleton of Auchroisk was one of the first bottles of malt I bought - probably in the first dozen. It was not bad, although it had an alarmingly short finish. The Singleton of Dufftown is just plain nasty. I don't know why Diageo picked that distillery of all the ones on its books. And as for aiming it at first time whisky drinkers - do they really want to put people off for life?
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:57 pm

I had it at the airport too. Needless to say I was somewhat less than tempted to buy a bottle. Might have been tempted, if it wasn't for the fact I was allowed to taste it first :)

I will say, though, that I did not find it disgusting.

It was tricky, but I opted for a Balvenie 15yo SB instead.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:36 pm

Dufftown is dire at the best times but I'd like to see Singletons of Blair Athol, Inchgower, Teaninich, Mortlach, Dailuaine and Linkwood, for a start.

There are plenty of gems in the F&F range and why they bottled Dufftown, I don't know.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Iain » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:03 pm

Must agree, Dufftown was a nasty dram as an 8yo.

The Singleton of Auchroisk 12 was a perfectly decent dram, I thought. It didn't deserve to die!
Iain
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder