Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Supermarkets - Do they make you feel unwell?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Given a choice of Tescos or an independent Whisky retailer which would you go for?

Tescos
15%
Independent Whisky/Wine shop
70%
Internet Purchase
15%

Total votes : 20

Supermarkets - Do they make you feel unwell?

Postby Scotched » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:54 pm

I hate the impersonal nature of supermarkets but I have been known to loiter near the Whisky section. It is cheaper but I always feel faintly dirty after making a purchase... I'd actually prefer paying a little extra at an independent retailer...

How about you?
Scotched

Postby Wave » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:08 am

Well naturally I go to the Independent Whisky/Wine shops mainly because the average supermarkets here have a pitiful selection at most.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:02 am

I'm too cheap to feel guilty...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:08 am

It's good for the soul to have a bit of rough now and again 8)
I have a slight difficulty with supermarkets driving down the real price.

I applaud Sprinbank for refusing to supply Sainsbury or any other supermarket anymore over a dispute of an invoice. Evidently the conglomerate tried to throw its weight about and Springbank gave them the two fingers. Nice one. :P
J & A Mitchell products are now a permanent fixture in my cupboard :D
Deactivated Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:55 am

Your going to the wrong supermarkets - try Waitrose.

Cheers, Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby kildalton » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:28 am

Uhm...I find massive stores very "dehumanizating...(Fear Factory quoting? :D )" and because I see whisky as tradition, I prefer spend a bit more and go to independents.
Besides they've large selection with whiskys you probably never find in super market(I would be very surprised in seeing a Ben Nevis at supermarket...)
kildalton
Silver Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:42 am

I find the more posh the area the better the selection. It varies within a chain of supermarkets. I think we can't resist a deal but prefer going to an independent retailer whether it is in person or online. :)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:42 pm

I voted Tesco. Whenever I first lived in Northern Ireland, there were no major UK supermarkets (only Wellworths and Stewarts/Crazy Prices/Westside Stores) - and didn't know of any serious independent off licences - I had not discovered the Vineyard at that point.

When Tesco and Sainsburys came, the quality of my life improved immeasurably. We suddnely got good quality fruit and veg (I had to buy two onions for every one I needed before because of the high chance an onion would be rotten), and we got a whole range of interesting, quality foods. Wellworths and Stewarts had stocked nothing that was vaguely ethnic or vaguely expensive.

When I discovered the Vineyard (and now in Edinburgh I have RMW, etc) I had access to some great drinks. But man cannot live on great drink alone.

I found the step change in my happiness was greater when I got access to good food than when I got access to good drink. Therefore, I'd go for Tesco (or pref. Sainsburys) rather than RMW any day of the week. But for total life quality, come to Edinburgh and get both!
Deactivated Member

Postby jimidrammer » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:24 pm

I don't have a choice. Supermarkets in this state can only sell beer and some local wines, no hard liquor and groceries in the same establishment. Also internet shipping is illegal as well. So I get to do alot of traveling to fill my cupboard. :(
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:10 pm

Crieftan wrote:I applaud Sprinbank for refusing to supply Sainsbury or any other supermarket anymore over a dispute of an invoice. Evidently the conglomerate tried to throw its weight about and Springbank gave them the two fingers. Nice one. :P
J & A Mitchell products are now a permanent fixture in my cupboard :D

Aye long gone are the days when Springbank hawked it's 21yo for 30 odd quid in Tescos........
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:52 pm

jimidrammer wrote: Also internet shipping is illegal as well. :(

How would they ever know???
Lawrence
Matured cask

Other

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:37 pm

I vote for"other" (aka Independant retailer) , being any Duty Free shop that carries what I want as I'm passing through. I generally drink what I find while in Scotland and then pick something up, that I can't get in Canada, for when I get home.
Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:08 am

If I can save myself a few quid buying at a supermarket, I'm happy. After all, it's my hard-earned cash and the cheaper something is the better :lol:
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder