Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What genre of music you love to listen?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Classical music
19%
Jazz
16%
Rock
48%
Pop
10%
Electronic music
6%

Total votes : 31

Postby Darynthium » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:41 pm

Hello all,

Let's talk about music. What genre of music you love to listen?
I love to listen Electronic music.

And you? :)
Darynthium

Postby Dubois » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:07 pm

Only Classical music :!:
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Wave » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:22 pm

I'm not stuck on one type of music genre just like I'm not stuck on one type of whisky, variety is what I like! (Classic) Rock, Death & Doom Metal, Gothic, Early Jazz, Blues, Ska, Classical and even Opera can be found in my collection and listening mix.

Needless to say I didn't vote at all because there is no spot for all genres

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby maverick » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:39 pm

I mostly listen to rock and country but I'm not stuck on those two categories. I've been known to listen to other genres as well... even hip hop.
maverick

Postby bamber » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:43 pm

No-one's going to like this but:

R&B, hip hop and dance !! - so my vote went for pop.

Yeh I know I have the musical taste of a fifteen year old :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:49 pm

Deffo a rocker here as 80% of my collection is good guitar Rock whether Classic, Progressive, Psychedelic, Hard, Heavy, Industrial, Grunge, Nu, Alternative and so on and on :lol: . However like others I too have a wide and varied taste.

I mainly love the early stuff which range from Zep, Purple, Who, Hendrix, Cream, CS&N, Ten years After, Kinks, Beatles etc then moving with the times through to Pink Floyd, Yes, Rush, Queen, Lizzy, Maiden, Radiohead, Steriophonics & Queens of the Stone Age and many many more.

But also love Irish Trad, Blues(Rory Gallagher, John Primer, John Lee hooker), Classical, Swing(Frank, Dino et al) Contemporary pop (snow patrol etc), Ambient Electronica and even Easy listening what ever that means :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:49 pm

I don't listen to "heavy metal" or pop. Everything else goes.
Mr Fjeld

Postby andre_s » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:50 pm

I find it very hard to vote for a particular genre, but if I have to than it would be jazz. I always find it better to name some artists or groups I listen to:
Coltrane, Miles, Fela Kuti, Sun Ra, John Zorn, Franco, Velvet Underground (with John Cale!), Anthony Braxton, This Heat, Eno, etc.
I could go on for an hour. Whisky and music....
andre_s

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:28 am

Yuh see mi name,suh? Well, dat de music me love, an' it earn I a livin' as a LIVE musician!

Dem call it BLEGGAE...If yuh wanna know what it sound like when Bob Marley jam with Jimi, then check I version of "Wind Cries Mary..."

A friend gave I, at me las' birthday, a bottle of SMWS malt, which dem call "A Rasta malt"! Serious! The offishal Society blurb claim dem call it dat becar' the taster sniff ganja on the nose!

Bloodfire! Me only get sherry and oak, and a lot of it! The only ganja I nosin' is mi spliff! But lemme tell you, dis dram was well wicked! the "boom"! Me discover it a 37 year old Longmorn...speyside business.

Me have a TINY drop still, but me savin' it fe me rasta bredda. Him late as usual...if he no show soon, it all gone, and 'im haff fe deal wit Ardbeg instead!

The Blues is a healer, and reggae lift the blues, and when John Lee Hooker sing 'bout "One Scotch, One Bourbon and one Beer", mi say: gimme just "one scotch, one scotch and one scotch..."

Irie!

Beatles not bad...nor Beat-Oven.

and it all sound better with a good malt!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby pouranother » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:42 am

I chose classical, because whiskycast wasn't on the list :wink:
pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:48 am

I really like turning on the classical station when I'm at home. Relaxing, soothing and plays perfectly in the background.
Di Blasi

Postby Jon Barleycorn » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:18 am

As a full-time classical musician, I was gratified to see the high percentage of forum members voting for classical music in this poll. Having said that, I am like many others posting on this thread that enjoy a wide variety of musical genres, including reggae, mon.
Interesting that Baltimore's major single malt bar, Birds of a Feather, always has the local classical radio station playing in the background. As I joke to one my fellow musician/malt lovers: that's one way to keep the riff-raff out!
Jon Barleycorn

Postby bjorn » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:34 am

for whisk(e)y drinking? i'd say the pogues or tom waits...maybe sea chanteys or traditional irish...or blues or classical, but mostly the pogues
bjorn
Bronze Member

Postby Jan » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:36 am

I'm mostly into hardrock / metal. But not exclusively so, I enjoy a wide range of other genres as well, including the occasional classical recording.

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:58 am

I listen to all of the above though I voted for my most usual preference. With apologies to those who enjoy them, the only genres I don't find pleasing are country and rap.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Choochoo » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:00 pm

I Listen to a lot of odd stuff: Early Funkadelic albums, Krautrock, Spaghetti Western soundtrack, 70's Brazilian music, Outlaw Country, Avant-garde Jazz, Afro-beat, Artsy Punk, Some old prog-rock, Ry Cooder, Beefheart, Iron Maiden, Fairport Convention, Howlin Wolf, and Jerry Lee Lewis just to name a few.

But when enjoying a good single malt, I don't want anything that is too distracting for music, ususally classical or jazz, nothing with vocals. LP's are also good, aside from sounding richer than digital, one side of a record is just about the right amount of time that I'd spend with a glass anyway.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:15 am

None of the above!

Folk Music, be it English, Scottish, Irish, Bretton etc, early or modern.

Cheers, Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:58 pm

Rock but jazz was a close second. It really depends on my mood.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Scotched » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:02 am

Has to be Jazz or the Blues. Contemplative music of some kind is best I feel. Certain classical pieces would be ideal too. Beethoven's symphonys maybe...
Scotched

Postby Thomas H. » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:56 pm

I listen to a lot of different things, but my heart lies with rock/hardrock. Listening to some Motorhead now, I think a good Ardbeg Ten would really work well now. :D
Thomas H.

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder