Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

do you drink spirits straight or not?

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Do you add mixers/water?

no I drink em straight
48%
I drink whisky straight but use mixers with other spirits
17%
I add a wee bit water to ma dram
33%
Lagavulin & coke for me! :-D
2%

Total votes : 63

Postby Yellowjacket » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:59 pm

shoganai wrote:
I have another friend who has been trying to turn me onto tequila. I didn't know there was such thing as good tequila. Any advice on how to drink that stuff?[/b]

For shots or making Margaritas, use tequila classified as Silver or, better, Reposado. To really enjoy a fine tequila, look for the classification Anejo (meaning aged) with 100% Agave on the label (there are variations of the wording, but "100% Agave" should be there in some form). There are many, many tequilas (with some very interesting bottles), but some that I like (in the 45-100 $US price range) are: Casa Noble, Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia, El Tesoro, Corzo, Chinaco, Porfidio, Don Julio, Herradura. Drink them neat, sip slow and sweet. Some like to chill in the freezer, but not really necessary or recommended. They will be different at first, but soon you will begin to enjoy. Personally, I now prefer whisky, but a really good tequila is still not bad.
Yellowjacket
Bronze Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:59 am

Yellowjacket wrote:For shots or making Margaritas, use tequila classified as Silver or, better, Reposado. To really enjoy a fine tequila, look for the classification Anejo (meaning aged) with 100% Agave on the label (there are variations of the wording, but "100% Agave" should be there in some form).

Interesting. For those who don't do tequila, Silver (or Blanco), Reposado and Anjeo are aging catagories that have rules about how much the tequila in them must be aged, and in what size of container in the case of anjeo. Unlike the whisky world where age is often prized, and older whiskies are more highly appretiated then younger ones, tequila age designations are often seen by enthusiests as "different" as opposed to having a quality heirarchy.

Many true tequila connisseurs prefer good quality blancos that are unaffected by wood influance. In Mexico the Reposado is the best selling age catagory with Anjeo being bought by foreign tourists. I'd be leery of suggesting that lesser aged tequilas should be used primarily as mixers although I do agree that anjeos probably shouldn't be used in mixed drinks. For one thing, their subtly gets lost in the mixers, and for another the taste isn't sharp enough to "punch" through. I'm generalizing of course - I know of a chain that uses Sauza Commemorativo (a mixto anjeo) for their margs.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:04 am

Wave wrote:After many years of drinking crap tequilas where you needed the salt & lime I'm hesitant in trying a (supposedly) good tequila, the different bottles are cool though! :wink:

Cheers!

Please be careful Wave. I've decided that ther is a 70% correlation between price and quality of SMS in the bottle at the LCBO. In other words, if I bought a bottle blindly for $65 it should be pretty good although it may not be the style I'm looking for.

Tequilas I've decided, have a parrallel between price and packaging - specificly the bottle. What's in the bottle may or may not be good. There are quite a few tequilas around in great looking bottles that are pretty crappy - or wildly overpriced. This opinion is shared by many tequila enthusiests I think...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Re: Tequila

Postby Frodo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:06 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:shoganai:
I would recommend that you PM Frodo about Tequila, he seems to have one of the best handles on that beverage that I've read posts from.
Personally, I'm very afraid of it, after an evening of lemons, salt and messing up the sequence in my misspent youth.
Muskrat

Well, if you come down our way, we may be able to organize something. Actually, I'm sort of thinking about possibly having a tasting some time in the future...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:27 am

Yellowjacket wrote:There are many, many tequilas (with some very interesting bottles), but some that I like (in the 45-100 $US price range) are: Casa Noble, Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia, El Tesoro, Corzo, Chinaco, Porfidio, Don Julio, Herradura.

I like most of these choices with the ET being considered the best "bang for the buck" tequila on the mumpsimous forum boards by most members there. I can state that I liked Casa Noble Crystal (Blanco), JCRF, Don Julio Anjeo and Herradura Blanco, Reposado and Anjeo.

One word of caution - Porfidio has a long, checkered history. At one point, they produced pretty good tequila but used rented different distilleries to make their stuff in (I know - weird). At one point, I heard they started supplementing mexican agave (51%) with south african agave - thus losing the 100% designation label (all agave must be mexican to get this designation I guess).

I was lucky - I got a 1/2 bottle of Porfidio single barrel anjeo tequila and it was great. But make sure if you pick up Porfidio, you get it when they had the 100% agave on the label. I would also recommend getting some during the time it was distilled at La Cofradia distillery (the same guys that do Casa Noble brand), but without a guide to decode the NOMs (distillery of origion number) on the bottle it's hard to get this info.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Yellowjacket » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:59 am

shoganai, Frodo, Wave:
I did not mean to mislead anyone and I hope I did not do so. I agree completely with all that Frodo said. I attempted to provide a very condensed paragraph on tequila for novices to tequila. The main reason I suggested the Anejo age classification is that most who believe tequila tastes like "crap" have generally only experience low-end Blanco tequila, which usually has a lot of "harsh, nasty" characteristics (really scientific terms, huh?). That's why lime and salt are frequently used with these low-end tequilas, because it tends to cover up some of these harsh characteristics. In general, the Anejos tend to be the farthest, in character, from these low-enders (remember, in general). In my experience, I've had the best luck with Anejos allowing novices "to come to the light" about good tequilas. Later, after one becomes more familiar with tequila, many do lean toward the more "flavorful" Reposados and Blancos. The potential problem with the Anejos is that, like Frodo stated, they can tend to take on the wood flavor of the oak casks they are aged in. This is way "Anejo" is defined as aged between one and four years, and most are aged somewhere between 18 months and three years. Also, I listed some tequilas because there are several hundred available and these are, IMHO, some of the better or more decent ones (I did not know about Porfidio's recent problems).

Again, I apologize if I misled or confused anyone. I consider myself highly familiar with tequilas, but certainly not an expert or a connoisseur. It is very apparent from the information that Frodo provided that he is much more knowledgeable than I on tequilas. Seriously, Frodo, I found the information you provided to be very helpful and interesting (I am searching the web right now for the mumpsimous forum boards). Truly, thank you very much.
Yellowjacket
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:05 am

Nice posts about tequila! I've read Frodo's posts earlier of course but all this talk about it lately makes me want to try a drink of it in a pub. I'll re-read and consult these posts before I try one.

Cheers!
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Old Bollard » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:11 pm

Trying to veer this thread back to whisky, I too prefer to add some still water, about a tablespoons worth to a generous dram.
I usually have a few sips neat, then add water.

Too much water I find terrible, but the one small splash does wonders for many whiskies methinks.

And I try to convince myself that it keeps my tastebuds intact for a wee bit longer..... :roll:

Old Bollard
Old Bollard

Postby Frodo » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:11 am

Yellowjacket wrote: In my experience, I've had the best luck with Anejos allowing novices "to come to the light" about good tequilas. Later, after one becomes more familiar with tequila, many do lean toward the more "flavorful" Reposados and Blancos.
Again, I apologize if I misled or confused anyone. I consider myself highly familiar with tequilas, but certainly not an expert or a connoisseur. It is very apparent from the information that Frodo provided that he is much more knowledgeable than I on tequilas.

Hi Yellowjacket:

1) Your first point is a good one. I started enjoying Anjeo tequilas first, then moved on to lesser aged expressions. It was easier for me this way due to Anjeos having that oaky influance similar to whisky.

2) No need to apologize. We all try our best here to exchange ideas. I wasn't trying to publicly "show you up" just as a myriad of posters are well meaning when they post a disagreement regarding something I've said. I think we all gain something from open dialogue (shared info) and candid but respectful exchanges (communication skills), and this is what I've tried to follow. I apologize if I came accross as...grumpy or abrasive. Everyone is welcome at this forum, and that definatly includes you Yellowjacket and hopefully myself as well.

I'm not sure I qualify as an expert/connoisseur compared to enthusiests on the mumpsimous board, but I got the info I did from others - just like we share info here.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:13 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:Nice posts about tequila! I've read Frodo's posts earlier of course but all this talk about it lately makes me want to try a drink of it in a pub. I'll re-read and consult these posts before I try one.

Cheers!

Just a brief note here - it is well known amongst tequila enthusiests that tequila oxidizes much faster than whisky. Trying a shot at a bar is a good way to "try before you buy", but some of the freshness may well be gone.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:42 am

I voted for adding a wee tropfen or zwei of wasser. But never before I have tried it neat first!

:D
Deactivated Member

Postby Yellowjacket » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:58 am

Frodo wrote:
Yellowjacket wrote: In my experience, I've had the best luck with Anejos allowing novices "to come to the light" about good tequilas. Later, after one becomes more familiar with tequila, many do lean toward the more "flavorful" Reposados and Blancos.
Again, I apologize if I misled or confused anyone. I consider myself highly familiar with tequilas, but certainly not an expert or a connoisseur. It is very apparent from the information that Frodo provided that he is much more knowledgeable than I on tequilas.

Hi Yellowjacket:

1) Your first point is a good one. I started enjoying Anjeo tequilas first, then moved on to lesser aged expressions. It was easier for me this way due to Anjeos having that oaky influance similar to whisky.

2) No need to apologize. We all try our best here to exchange ideas. I wasn't trying to publicly "show you up" just as a myriad of posters are well meaning when they post a disagreement regarding something I've said. I think we all gain something from open dialogue (shared info) and candid but respectful exchanges (communication skills), and this is what I've tried to follow. I apologize if I came accross as...grumpy or abrasive. Everyone is welcome at this forum, and that definatly includes you Yellowjacket and hopefully myself as well.

I'm not sure I qualify as an expert/connoisseur compared to enthusiests on the mumpsimous board, but I got the info I did from others - just like we share info here.

Hey Frodo -- Thank you for your kind reply. You definitely were not "grumpy or abrasive" and I certainly did not think you were trying to "show me up." For me personally, I was embarrassed that I over-simplified some points for the sake of brevity and appreciate you adding to the discussion. I think it is great to have a forum like this to be able to exchange ideas and information. Regardless of how you may view your own personal expertise, it is obvious that you are extremely knowledgeable about tequila and I enjoyed the additional information. Maybe sometime we can exchange personal tequila experiences and stories.

One more item, Frodo, and we'll get back on track with this whisky poll. I have not really tried any tequila for about a year now. Our daughter is very involved with Scottish Highland Dancing and we have spent several weeks during three of the last four summers accompanying her in Scotland. This has led me towards SMSW and away from tequila. But all this talk has piqued my interest again. I enjoy Casa Noble very, very much, but have not tried the Crystal. With your comments and those on the mumpsimous forum, I believe I will purchase a bottle soon.

OK, back to the poll. I just voted (my first poll on this forum!). Like many here, I start out neat and then add one or two drops of water. With cask strengths, I may then add a wee bit more to soften the alcohol just a bit.
Yellowjacket
Bronze Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:50 am

Cheers!!!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:11 pm

Frodo wrote:
Mr Fjeld wrote:Nice posts about tequila! I've read Frodo's posts earlier of course but all this talk about it lately makes me want to try a drink of it in a pub. I'll re-read and consult these posts before I try one.

Cheers!

Just a brief note here - it is well known amongst tequila enthusiests that tequila oxidizes much faster than whisky. Trying a shot at a bar is a good way to "try before you buy", but some of the freshness may well be gone.

Thanks Frodo, I'll keep that in mind!
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

To water or not to water?

Postby si_peacock » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:31 pm

For whisky I generally try the dram as it comes and then add a little water to see how the flavour changes. I then know how much to add next time.

Other shots depends on the quality and purpose

Grey Goose vodka... always straight
Good Cuban rum at least 7 years... always straight
Absinthe... always straight

I don't drink many other shots any more. The days of flaming sambucca are (more or less) gone!

Si
si_peacock

Previous

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder