Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Supermarket Islays

Take part in our whisky polls and votes. You can also post your own polls in this forum.

Which supermarket Islay would you recommend?

Sainsburys
67%
Asda
No votes
Tesco
33%
Marks & Spencer
No votes

Total votes : 6

Supermarket Islays

Postby Grass Snake » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:17 am

Which of the following supermarket own brand ISlay whiskies would you recommend for someoen who like their whisky very peaty?

Thanks
Snake

I don';t have access to any of the other supermarkets
Grass Snake

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:47 am

Can't personally recommend any as i haven't tried any, but i read on this forum somewhwere that Tesco's are surrently doing the Ardbeg 10-an established and much loved peat monster - for around £21.Last week I also got another Peat monster, the Laphroaig "Quarter Cask" from oddbins - if you have one in burnley - for just over £20...

good luck!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:52 am

Yes, On Oct 22 there was a post on "Supermarket deals..." claiming Tesco's prices - £21.47 for Ardbeg, and £19 and some pence for the standard Laphroaig.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:53 am

The Sainsbury's one is properly peaty. The Tesco one is 'Laddie isn't it ? So essentially unpeated.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Leither » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:01 pm

Check out other thread under 'Cheaper Islay Malts' - I have tried most of the supermarket offerings. They offer tremendous value and I use them as my hip-flask malt.

The best is Sainsbury's as agreed by both Jim Murray's Whisky Bible (90 points) and it won a gold award in the latest International Wines & Spirits Challenge (see link for panel tasting notes):

http://www.iwsc.net/productPage.cfm?Pag ... ductID=850

M&S bottle says its from Burns Stewart suggesting Bunny, but tasting note on bottle suggests much more peaty so I suspect Laphroaig - M&S price currently £4 off.

As I say they are all exceptionally good value for money - only drawback is that that they are all 40% ABV, coloured and mostly vatted so change frequently. My guess is that the Sainsbury's uses less colouring than the others and hence more natural flavour - it certainly is lighter in colour in the glass. I suspect there is some Ardbeg and/or Caol Ila in this one.

Let us know which one you buy and what you think.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Marvin » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:22 pm

I personally wouldnt buy any supermarket branded whisky. I doent like supermarkets and I dont like the way they treat their suppliers.
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:50 pm

I had the Tesco's 'Ardnave' a few years ago and it was very good. It bottled at 41.2% and was unchillfiltered. Don't know if it is still that way.

The Sainsbury's vatted Islay is probably the best for peaty whisky lovers.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Marvin » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:04 pm

Tesco is evil.
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby Samwise » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:42 pm

I've only tried the Sainsbury's one myself and can certainly vouch that its pretty good stuff, especially for the money. I came to the conclusion that it was a mix of Ardbeg and Caol Ila, probably more of the latter. I personally prefer the individual malts any day, but its certainly worth a try and really quite interesting to try and pick out the smells and tastes that have been combined.
Samwise

don't get tesco's

Postby jamiepotter » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:52 pm

OMG, that was a very poor decision indeed. It had an horrific sulphur odour. The only way it was drinkable was to actually hold your nose!!! That's not a good thing for a whisky.

Sainsbury's is OK, but it's hardly worth it. You might as well spend £20 on a bottle of Laphroaig. Tesco's are doing Laphroaig CS for £25, which works out cheaper by volume. If you're going to drink cheap stuff, get a half decent blend.
jamiepotter

Postby les taylor » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:43 pm

My vote is for morrison supermarkets Islay malt lovely. it says it has chocolate orange and floral notes.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Poll

Whisky gift and present finder